BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 05:28 AM   #1
Palooka Jr.

Location: I live in the big city, where the lights are bright and hearts are dark.
Model: none.
Default Interested in buying a BlackBerry, but completely clueless about them...

Please Login to Remove!

Hello.

I have happily owned a Symbian Series 60 phone (from Nokia) for many years, and I think they are phenomenal because they do everything I am looking for. However, since learning of the BlackBerry devices, I have wanted to buy one and fool around with it often, just to learn how it works and to become familiar with it. Generally, I learn technology very quickly, and I immediately jump past the basic features of a device and on to more complicated things. Especially, if a device has a limitation that can be overcome by outside software, I am open to it, because closed-ended platforms bore the cheese noodles out of me.

Walking about my city's local T-Mobile store recently, I came upon the BlackBerry 7105t, which I have been told is the "newest, hottest" model. I doubted this from the generic salesperson, and doubted it even more when I read the specifications of the device which seemed to suggest it was a moderately limited device, at least in terms of what I am looking to do.

Before I even consider purchasing a BlackBerry device, I want to make sure it has all of the common "lemming" features, such as:

* MP3 player (and MP3 ringtones)
* Bluetooth
* Memory card of some kind for storage (MMC, RS-MMC, SD, etc.)
* Camera (pref. 1.3 megapixels or above)

I want the "lemming" features mentioned above because I use them, especially the cameras, because my digital camera is *never* with me when I need to take spur-of-the-moment photos. If I am to buy a BlackBerry and use it for a while to learn it, I need to make sure it does most of the things that my Symbian series 60 Nokia phone does - otherwise, I'll miss the other phone too much and have to revert back to it too quickly.

I'd like to know also, how expandable are these devices? The stock software that comes with almost any mobile phone is junk, and I always have to go looking for third-party applications to enhance the base experience. What kind of software is available? How open-ended are the devices as far as what users can do when using third-party software? Are the phone's unique file formats conveniently exchanged with the PC, and can some PC file formats be used on the BlackBerry directly?

Is Bluetooth easy and enjoyable with BlackBerry? Can common Bluetooth headsets (i.e. Jabra) work with BlackBerry conveniently?

I think I've asked all the questions I can think of right now, but I will definitely have more of them. My interest in the devices are to learn about them, understand how they work and what expandability they may have, and possibly go from there, professionally. It all depends, but it looks (from what I have seen) to be an interesting platform worth more of my attention.

Any help appreciated.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:43 AM   #2
Corman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Given your requirement for the "lemming" features, the Blackberry is not for you. No camera and no MP3 player, just good ol reliable push e-mail.

7250, 7130e, 8703e, 8830 and now the 8330
Old 01-21-2006, 05:46 AM   #3
Palooka Jr.

Location: I live in the big city, where the lights are bright and hearts are dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corman
Given your requirement for the "lemming" features, the Blackberry is not for you. No camera and no MP3 player, just good ol reliable push e-mail.
Heh. Let's say I can temporarily look past the "lemming" features. After all, my Nokia 3650 could not play MP3 natively but it *could* do so with third-party software.

Then, what of my other questions? The Bluetooth support, file formats, open-endedness of the device, etc.?
Old 01-21-2006, 08:30 AM   #4
Toddboy71
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: tmo

Apparently Treo is in your future. If you want to JAM while taking pictures, BB is not for you. Do a search..... you find out lots of info about why these features arent on a BB and likely wont be if and until a consumer division of RIM is created......
The Push Email is great...... like no other.... but it sounds like you want more of a high tech toy.....
Old 01-21-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Do Not Get A Blackberry.
Stay With The Nokia Or A Treo.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

BlackBerry's don't come with MP3 players, or memory slots. You can, however add third party software and Bluetooth software to it. You can do MP3 ringtones now with the BlackBerry model 8700, which is newer than the 7105 and actually performs better.

Check out my BlackBerry FAQ to find out what BlackBerry is really all about. They do make very good email / chatting / web machines nowadays, so if you want to feel very networked always-on without needing to connect on demand, then BlackBerry is the one to get. You can get games and photos so you do get some multimedia now with BlackBerry.

For information about software and features, click on the BlackBerry FAQ below:
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 01-21-2006, 11:16 AM   #7
jbibbs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
PIN: 400BD897
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka Jr.
Heh. Let's say I can temporarily look past the "lemming" features. After all, my Nokia 3650 could not play MP3 natively but it *could* do so with third-party software.

Then, what of my other questions? The Bluetooth support, file formats, open-endedness of the device, etc.?
The bluetooth on my 7290 seems to operate fine, I don't get any static like I did with my Nokia 3660 or my Moto v710. I've only used the BB for a few weeks now and it seems to have a good amount of 3rd part apps available for it. I enjoyed having a camera phone and thought about my switch to the blackberry for almost two months before I decided to do it, I can't see myself going to anything else now. As others have said if you absolutely positively can't live without the media intensive features then the Treo is for you, but if those features are just nice add ons that won't make or break the deal then check out a BB.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

At least you inquired before buying one and then coming to this site and dumping your complaints, thank you. As stated numerous times before do not purchase a Blackberry, you will be disappointed. The Blackberry is designed more for the user who does not care about those "lemming" features (why I own an iPod and digital camera, etc) and who mostly require a RELIABLE, effective tool to push business and/or personal email to a mobile device. Beyond that, there are additional features such as a phone, bluetooth compatibility, PIM functions, etc, that pretty effectively round out the needs of the "common" Blackberry user.

The 7100 series? I'm not the biggest expert on them but I almost wouldn't consider them a "pure" Blackberry. My thoughts are the 7100 series is RIM's way of dipping the toe in the consumer market.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:27 PM   #9
europamo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmadrid

The 7100 series? I'm not the biggest expert on them but I almost wouldn't consider them a "pure" Blackberry. My thoughts are the 7100 series is RIM's way of dipping the toe in the consumer market.
Not pure why, because of the shape? I love my 7100i.

As said before, I am so happy yoou asked before purchasing, sounds like your a smart buyer do your research, good luck.
Alexandre Dumas
Old 01-22-2006, 03:02 AM   #10
Palooka Jr.

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
BlackBerry's don't come with MP3 players, or memory slots. You can, however add third party software and Bluetooth software to it. You can do MP3 ringtones now with the BlackBerry model 8700, which is newer than the 7105 and actually performs better.
I've browsed your FAQ a bit, Mark, and it is very helpful. It mentions, for one, that BlackBerry devices can be enhanced by third-party software in the form of Java applications. Am I then correct in assuming that Java is where the software stops; that there are no third-party applications written directly for the BlackBerry, say, in C? I personally find Java to be rather limited, and mostly avoid it on my Nokia devices in favor of Symbian software written directly for the phones. But, perhaps I am incorrect, and perhaps there is a dedicated community of people writing very concise Java apps specifically for the BlackBerry line.

Can you provide any links to websites that either offer (for free download) third-party application software for the BlackBerry, or that at least discuss it in detail? This is a very important issue I need to focus on before I make a decision whether to buy a unit or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
You can get games and photos so you do get some multimedia now with BlackBerry.
Perhaps, you (or someone else) can go into more detail about what file formats (PC or BlackBerry specific) that these devices handle natively (i.e. out of the box) and also with enhanced support from third-party software? Whether they be image, sound, etc. file formats, I'd just like a little more info.

In the mean time, I'll keep reading through your nice FAQ file, but I'd love to have my questions answered by anyone who has the time. Thanks!
Closed Thread