Old 06-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
louman226

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default International Usage

Please Login to Remove!

Hey,

I’m not sure if I’m posting this is the right place, but here goes…

I have a Cingular Blackberry 8800 and am planning to study in Denmark for four months in the fall. I’m trying to figure out what to do about phone usage while there. I got Cingular to unlock my bb, and I would ideally like to purchase some sort of European SIM card to use on my bb8800. Otherwise, I think I would have to purchase some sort of “go-phone” while over there.

Googling “Denmark cell phone plans” was pretty unsuccessful for me, and I was wondering if anyone knew more about what my options would be. Most results I found were just for things like calling cards or plans for minutes, but I had trouble finding data packages as well. Can anyone help me?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

There aren't any pre-paid, or pay-as-you-go Blackberry data plans available.
Unlocking your phone will be more useful for local phone calls using a local SIM card. It won't really help you much in the way of Blackberry data... unless you actually sign up with a foreign carrier and get a "real" wireless account with a Blackberry Data Plan.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
louman226

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

Yes, I plan to sign up with a foreign carrier. My question is about the best way to find out about foreign carriers. In the US, we all know that Cingular, Verizon, etc. are the major players, but it is a lot more difficult to find out about how the system works in Europe and I was hoping that someone could help me find that information.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

BlackBerry - Purchase

Looks like TDC Mobile in Denmark.
TDC - Erhverv - Mobil

Maybe you can contact them for information.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
europamo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by louman226 View Post
Hey,

I’m not sure if I’m posting this is the right place, but here goes…

I have a Cingular Blackberry 8800 and am planning to study in Denmark for four months in the fall. I’m trying to figure out what to do about phone usage while there. I got Cingular to unlock my bb, and I would ideally like to purchase some sort of European SIM card to use on my bb8800. Otherwise, I think I would have to purchase some sort of “go-phone” while over there.

Googling “Denmark cell phone plans” was pretty unsuccessful for me, and I was wondering if anyone knew more about what my options would be. Most results I found were just for things like calling cards or plans for minutes, but I had trouble finding data packages as well. Can anyone help me?

Thanks
2 options, roam using a partner of Cingular to still get your data.(i dont know cingualrs plans) but I am sure its expensive

or

use it for phone, no data and get a pre-paid sim. good thing about Europe is that you wont pay for incoming. also take into account if you will spend your entire 4 months in Denmark or travel as well. Orange has service there, but only on 900mz, but has service in alot of other countries.

TDC and Sonfone have service on 900/1800

Also here is a good GSM site, I have sent you to Denmark

GSM Roaming - Denmark

remember, when you get there, it will be different when you ask around who is the best in that country. I lived in Germany, so its the best I know.

Have fun and enjoy!
Alexandre Dumas
Old 06-26-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
mas999

Model: 9800
Carrier: 3
Default Hema

Another cheap PAYG sim that you can obtain is a HEMA sim available from any of their stores, I found it good value to use when calling the UK when I a was in Denmark last yr