BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Prev Alltel...now Verizon
Default Considering ditching the Tour...

Please Login to Remove!

My daughter and I both got new Tours on Friday. She had an 8330 and I had an 8830. She had a few issues once in a while with her 8330 but I had none with my 8830. However, in order for her to get a new phone with Verizon, I had to get one...long story. Anyway we got the Tour. Can I say so far in less than 48 hours, I hate the Tour!!! It locks up constantly, the battery life is bad and the trackball sticks all the time. I have changed the sensitivity on the trackball without much help.

I am considering us both going back to Verizon and getting Curves as I cannot go back to my 8830 since it was on Alltel. I know they will replace the Tour if it has problems but who wants to get a new phone and have to put all your stuff back on it every week...that is a pain.

Any thoughts on this or has anyone else ditched the Tour and gotten either the Storm or a Curve?? I think the Storm has some issues as well. I wish I still had MY 8830!!
Old 08-16-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
skdill
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

Take it back and swap it for a new one. Sounds like you got a bad device...
Old 08-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve 8900)

I agree with skdill. My friend had to replace his Tour a couple of times because of hardware issues. The one he has now works great. And after a few OS updates I am sure the device will be more solid.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yeah I know I can get a replacement but who wants to have to go to Verizon every other day or once a week and get a new phone and have to reload all of your apps and stuff on it.

My daughter is upset that they left things off the Tour that we on the Curve and that you cannot go into profiles for the ring tones and set up each each profile to have some differences. For example, at night she would set her Silent Profile to be silent on everything except her Yahoo Messenger because her boyfriend is in Iraq and he will get on there to IM her. Now with the Tour she said she cannot do this because whatever she sets the Yahoo Messenger to in one Profile, it is in all the profiles. I know she can do a Custom but that seems like a lot of trouble to her when all she had to do before was go to one place and do it. She is also annoyed that there is not an icon for her call logs. She said it like they took the Curve and instead of adding to features and making it better, they the Curve enhanced stuff but left off things that people used, it's just her opinion understand on that.

And I am not sure I want to get a replacement Tour and take the chance it has issues and then I have to go back to Verizon again and get another replacement which may have even more issues. I just want a phone that works.

My Tour is freezing up, I picked it up yesterday and it was white screened for several minutes and the trackball is acting crazy and freezing up.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Also my daughter said she was on Yahoo IM'ing this morning for about an hour and her Tour got really hot...her Curve didn't do this. Is this another problem people are having with the Tour???!!
Old 08-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve 8900)

Sounds like you all may want to go and get Curve 8330s. The Tour is new and probably needs a couple of OS updates for it to become really solid. But if you can't wait then get the 8330 devices. My wife just picked one up and she loves it.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Shoppergirl,

For the first build, the Tour did well with most of it devices that were released. Based on your response, I strongly discourage you from buying any smartphone until its been in the market for at least six months

LET'S GO CANES!

Last edited by akosnitzky; 08-16-2009 at 03:55 PM..
Old 08-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
Stale Pancake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

It sounds like maybe you tranferred apps that don't play well on the tour. I have a Tour, and I just downloaded apps that are known to work for the tour. I have not had a single problem at all.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
lostman72
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Also as a heads up it takes a new battery about 3 to 5 full charges before the battery will hold a real good charge. The one I have works great. I agree the trackball is not the best but I am ok with it. I am just waiting on the new software to see how it does.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
ramonaquimby

Carrier: Sprint

i love love love my tour and have no had any of the problems you speak of. i'm so sorry to hear that you hate it. so frustrating, i'm sure! by the way, there *IS* an icon for her call logs. just look in the folder and you will see it in "ghost" (hidden). unhide it, as i did, and place it on the home screen!
Old 08-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #11
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

that icon is no different than the call log displayed by pressing the green call button.
The OP you mention wanted the phone call log as in the vew folder - phone call logs

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
joeya7

Model: Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppergirl View Post
Yeah I know I can get a replacement but who wants to have to go to Verizon every other day or once a week and get a new phone and have to reload all of your apps and stuff on it.

My daughter is upset that they left things off the Tour that we on the Curve and that you cannot go into profiles for the ring tones and set up each each profile to have some differences. For example, at night she would set her Silent Profile to be silent on everything except her Yahoo Messenger because her boyfriend is in Iraq and he will get on there to IM her. Now with the Tour she said she cannot do this because whatever she sets the Yahoo Messenger to in one Profile, it is in all the profiles. I know she can do a Custom but that seems like a lot of trouble to her when all she had to do before was go to one place and do it. She is also annoyed that there is not an icon for her call logs. She said it like they took the Curve and instead of adding to features and making it better, they the Curve enhanced stuff but left off things that people used, it's just her opinion understand on that.

And I am not sure I want to get a replacement Tour and take the chance it has issues and then I have to go back to Verizon again and get another replacement which may have even more issues. I just want a phone that works.

My Tour is freezing up, I picked it up yesterday and it was white screened for several minutes and the trackball is acting crazy and freezing up.
I agree with your daughter and the profile problems. On my Pearl I would keep it all on Vibrate except one of my emails which would do nothing. I called Verizon BB care a few times and they were no help. RIM support wanted to charge me $70. Like you said you have to end up making a custom profile and set it up how you want it.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #13
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

I love my Tour. It's a great device.

Sounds like you'd be better of with a Curve.
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250

Last edited by kurichan; 08-16-2009 at 07:48 PM..
Old 08-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #14
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Pancake View Post
It sounds like maybe you tranferred apps that don't play well on the tour. I have a Tour, and I just downloaded apps that are known to work for the tour. I have not had a single problem at all.
I have transferred no apps to this Tour so that is not what is causing the problem...wish the fix were that easy.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #15
lapiana1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I think you should go into verizon and sit down for a proper tour training session. Ask them a lot of questions and let them know what your issues are with the phone. It seems like you are jumping to conclusions very quickly. I hated the battery life with my Tour, but once I read the forums on here and got more information on the device I learned how to remedy the issue. Read your manual, and read these forums; you should really educate yourself on the product you purchased.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:16 PM   #16
BerryMotion
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

Regarding the battery, make sure you dont have any running apps in the background!! CLICK on BB *checkered* button and keep your finger on it, a window will show you all your running apps, you have to go in and close them!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #17
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

PIN: ????

My tour was acting in the manner you described out of the box. After a couple of days it really started to fly, I have had no issues since. I think it is a fantastic device, much better than the 8830 or 8330 IMHO.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #18
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

[QUOTE=lapiana1;1452721]I think you should go into verizon and sit down for a proper tour training session. Ask them a lot of questions and let them know what your issues are with the phone. It seems like you are jumping to conclusions very quickly. I hated the battery life with my Tour, but once I read the forums on here and got more information on the device I learned how to remedy the issue. Read your manual, and read these forums; you should really educate yourself on the product you purchased.[/QUOTE}

I placed my thread on the forum for input on whether I should put up with the Tour and wait for the possible OS fixes or just go to Curve. I am sorry you felt the need to be so critical and belittling. I have owned a BB for over 18 months prior to this purchase and operated it without any problems. The problems I am experiencing are hardware problems that a majority of other people are having as well.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #19
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

PIN: ????

[QUOTE=shoppergirl;1452751]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapiana1 View Post
I think you should go into verizon and sit down for a proper tour training session. Ask them a lot of questions and let them know what your issues are with the phone. It seems like you are jumping to conclusions very quickly. I hated the battery life with my Tour, but once I read the forums on here and got more information on the device I learned how to remedy the issue. Read your manual, and read these forums; you should really educate yourself on the product you purchased.[/QUOTE}

I placed my thread on the forum for input on whether I should put up with the Tour and wait for the possible OS fixes or just go to Curve. I am sorry you felt the need to be so critical and belittling. I have owned a BB for over 18 months prior to this purchase and operated it without any problems. The problems I am experiencing are hardware problems that a majority of other people are having as well.

That's the problem with forums .. It's 2D ... Can't see the expressions on someones face when they are talking. I would if I were you consider 1 exchange for good measure, I think I read in another thread that both your son and daughter have tours ... You may have just gotten a bad apple. Please forgive me however if I am wrong about the son and daughter, it's late for me here in Tucson.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #20
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

[QUOTE=jsntrenkler;1452755]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppergirl View Post

That's the problem with forums .. It's 2D ... Can't see the expressions on someones face when they are talking. I would if I were you consider 1 exchange for good measure, I think I read in another thread that both your son and daughter have tours ... You may have just gotten a bad apple. Please forgive me however if I am wrong about the son and daughter, it's late for me here in Tucson.
No you are right about the son and daughter having one each. My daughter is having a few little issues but hers is not freezing up or going to the white screen with the clock like a BB does on reset nor is her trackball acting like mine now. Her issues seem to be different from mine and hers seem to be getting a little better...mine unfortunately are not resolving. I am thinking like you said that I got a bad apple.
Closed Thread