BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
ryusoma
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default Enterprise activation - Bold over old?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all.

I'm having an issue with trying to activate my new Bold on our company's BES.

I've currently got an 8703e registered, do I need to disable/wipe that device before I can activate the Bold in its place, or should new registration overwrite the existing device? I also note the Bold asks me for the Activation Server address, which the 8703e did not. I just put in the IP/FQDN of the BES server.

I've tried on 3 occasions in the last couple days now to register the Bold, but it never goes past 'activating <email address>'. I don't know where it is failing in the process because there is no feedback from the device, and I don't see any log of activity received by the BES.

Any help is appreciated- I'm trying desperately to minimize the number of phones I have to carry.
EDIT:
BES 4.1
Rogers Bold (Build 125)

Last edited by ryusoma; 08-26-2008 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: tech info
Old 08-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryusoma View Post
Hi all.

I'm having an issue with trying to activate my new Bold on our company's BES.

I've currently got an 8703e registered, do I need to disable/wipe that device before I can activate the Bold in its place, or should new registration overwrite the existing device? I also note the Bold asks me for the Activation Server address, which the 8703e did not. I just put in the IP/FQDN of the BES server.

I've tried on 3 occasions in the last couple days now to register the Bold, but it never goes past 'activating <email address>'. I don't know where it is failing in the process because there is no feedback from the device, and I don't see any log of activity received by the BES.

Any help is appreciated- I'm trying desperately to minimize the number of phones I have to carry.
You don't need to wipe your 8703e.

Leave the Activation Server address blank. That's used for WiFi activations which would need to be set up on your BES first.
I would imagine this is what's causing your activation to fail.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
TreeDude
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPn4S
PIN: 76E5A626
Carrier: Verizon

Make sure a blank IT policy is pushed to the old BB before you remove it (if your company uses IT policies). Also if you want to get all your back email have the admin remove you completely from the BES and re-add you.

BES was decommissioned. Currently using iPhones with Lotus Notes Traveler 9.0.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDude View Post
Also if you want to get all your back email have the admin remove you completely from the BES and re-add you.
Soz, why would you do that?
Completing that action would only give the pre-pop value of emails. Exactly same number would be pushed to new BB via EA if the PIN is different, so by deleting/re-adding user to BES they will lose all settings and history, but not get extra email over EA. Unless I am missing something here?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
TreeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadey View Post
Soz, why would you do that?
Completing that action would only give the pre-pop value of emails. Exactly same number would be pushed to new BB via EA if the PIN is different, so by deleting/re-adding user to BES they will lose all settings and history, but not get extra email over EA. Unless I am missing something here?
Every time I have upgraded a BB by simply changing the PIN they only get new emails. The old ones are not there. But, I also do not do a backup and restore from their old one.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Something wrong with your BES then - an EA which changes the user's PIN on BB Manager ought to trigger pre-pop (without the need to delete and re-add user, it's worked every time for me. I also don't do backup and restore from old devices.)
Old 08-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Something wrong with your BES then - an EA which changes the user's PIN on BB Manager ought to trigger pre-pop (without the need to delete and re-add user, it's worked every time for me. I also don't do backup and restore from old devices.)
Agreed. Changing devices for an existing BES user should kick off message pre-population.
This is the way it works on our BES as well.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
TreeDude

Hmmm.... That is strange. I will have to do it again on my next BB upgrade. I have no clue what could be wrong. I don't have the BES alerts setup though.

Good to know guys, thanks.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
ryusoma

Well, I have tried the suggestions as instructed. We forced a blank IT policy to the 8703 and then removed and recreated a new user for myself as well. No luck. The Bold does not appear to be contacting the BES at all.

Can we verify within the server logs whether it is doing so? What should we be looking for?
I am beginning to wonder if Rogers is blocking a service or communication somehow.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

Do you have a proper BlackBerry enterprise data plan on the Bold? Can you send a PIN message or browse the web (not using WiFi) from the Bold?

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-27-2008, 12:05 AM   #11
ryusoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher View Post
Do you have a proper BlackBerry enterprise data plan on the Bold? Can you send a PIN message or browse the web (not using WiFi) from the Bold?

eheheh.. eeeeyeah

I just got off the phone with Rogers support, and it seems I do not. I have the 6gb data plan, which allows me to browse, send email, etc.. all those good things, but not connect to our company's enterprise server.

The rep told me that the standard plan is over $100 for 1gb, of course. So basically the $30/6Gb plans are a big **** YOU to all Rogers' enterprise users?

Can someone explain to me why this would be disallowed?
Old 08-27-2008, 03:48 AM   #12
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

There are quite a few discussions on this board regarding data plan licensing. The bottom line is that BES tends to use more data than BIS (some of this info is old, I have not used BIS for ages, but it used to be the case that it carried less data, i.e. mail push but not full PAB and journal OTA synch, no device backup data being sent, etc, blah).

The reality is that most networks globally charge more for BES data plans than BIS because 1. they do put more traffic on the network and 2. the networks can charge more - companies pay tariffs that most individuals would run away from crying.

The only option you have is to look for a carrier with a cheaper BES plan. Until you are on a BES plan, any BB device will not EA with the BIS-enabled SIM.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #13
SmoothRunnings

PIN: 21B694E3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Quote:
eheheh.. eeeeyeah

I just got off the phone with Rogers support, and it seems I do not. I have the 6gb data plan, which allows me to browse, send email, etc.. all those good things, but not connect to our company's enterprise server.

The rep told me that the standard plan is over $100 for 1gb, of course. So basically the $30/6Gb plans are a big **** YOU to all Rogers' enterprise users?

Can someone explain to me why this would be disallowed?
I would have your Accounting Dept call Rogers back and threaten them your company will cancel all their services with them... See what they say then!

Last edited by SmoothRunnings; 08-27-2008 at 06:38 AM..
Old 08-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #14
SmoothRunnings

PIN: 21B694E3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Quote:
There are quite a few discussions on this board regarding data plan licensing. The bottom line is that BES tends to use more data than BIS (some of this info is old, I have not used BIS for ages, but it used to be the case that it carried less data, i.e. mail push but not full PAB and journal OTA synch, no device backup data being sent, etc, blah).

The reality is that most networks globally charge more for BES data plans than BIS because 1. they do put more traffic on the network and 2. the networks can charge more - companies pay tariffs that most individuals would run away from crying.

The only option you have is to look for a carrier with a cheaper BES plan. Until you are on a BES plan, any BB device will not EA with the BIS-enabled SIM.
There is only one network in Canada that offers the GRSM network. Rogers Wireless/Rogers Communications. The other proviers use the old obsolete CDMA network...
Old 08-27-2008, 06:54 AM   #15
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Move!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:04 AM   #16
ryusoma

So I talked to Rogers again this morning now that the Enterprise services dept. is open and their response was again, basically a big **** YOU. 'There is no way to activate a 6Gb data plan for Enterprise services blah blah blah'. Even though my phone pricing is through a corporate plan and I was switching specifically to a Blackberry they never bothered to mention that.

Don't give me that, it's flipping a switch. :P

So I've suggested I may want to cancel my plan and return the phone, since my old plan contract runs out next month anyways. Then the rep starts telling me there is a 30-minute talk time limit on their 30-day return policy too. Excuse me? I spent more than that on the phone with them!

I would be curious to know what ports or protocols are required by enterprise activation, and how come you can't circumvent them as you can with almost any other network traffic..

Last edited by ryusoma; 08-27-2008 at 10:06 AM..
Old 08-27-2008, 10:27 AM   #17
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Unless you want to start hacking about with RIM's network, there is no way to circumvent. BES talks to RIM's network, for traffic to get onto the part of that network you need the right data plan from a carrier. As you cannot bypass RIM's network, you don't really have any control. Reality=you need a BES data plan, else game over.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:54 PM   #18
ryusoma

Well, I did discover today a sorta, half workaround.

The Bold's Messaging client does support POP and IMAP mail servers, but also now apparently supports a direct login to Outlook Web Access? It seems to be polling OWA directly? I've tried it today and I can get my mail, plus it does seem to maintain desktop & mobile email synchronized..

I'll see in a day or two. It isn't perfect but I guess if it's 90% of what I need, it should be good enough.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:20 PM   #19
Spawneh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone NZ

Quote:
Well, I have tried the suggestions as instructed. We forced a blank IT policy to the 8703 and then removed and recreated a new user for myself as well. No luck. The Bold does not appear to be contacting the BES at all.

Can we verify within the server logs whether it is doing so? What should we be looking for?
I am beginning to wonder if Rogers is blocking a service or communication somehow.
Firstly..

When you start the activation, monitor the users mailbox for an ETP message. see if it reachs your users mailbox.

If it doesnt then confirm that the device/network is creating and sending the message by nominating a 3rd party email address (gmail or the like) and see if the ETP message arrives.

If it arrives change it back to the address you wish to activate and try again, monitor the users mailbox again. If it doesnt arrive then you most likely have a mail filter or something intercepting this message.

If the message gets to the mailbox what happens with it?
Is it modified?
Is it moved?
Does it have a .dat file

let me know whats the answer to those.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #20
TargetIT
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Rogers

Wow, you seem awfully upset about a pricing scheme that has IMPROVED in the last month. Last month we were paying 60 bucks for 25 megs on a BES data plan - it was the biggest ripoff in the world I would imagine. Having said that, we never went over that limit. We are now on a $30/300 Meg plan.
Closed Thread