BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
sparticat

Model: 8830
Carrier: sprint
Default Pushing our Nextel 7520 Direct Connect numbers

Please Login to Remove!

We have about 105 Nextel 7520's that were just deployed. BES 4.0 HF1&2, Windows 2000/Exchange 2000. Looking for an easy way to push out the Direct Connect numbers to all users. They show up in the Handheld Config tool, but how to get them to the user's address book? If I just put them in the Exchange GAL under a user's pager # for instance the users can see them, but the handheld does not treat it as a DC#. It just tries to dial the number.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-05-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
dpeters11
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

When you sync a BB that has a DC number to Outlook, it puts it in the Radio field in Outlook. Did you try it in that field instead of pager?
Old 03-05-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
sparticat

Carrier: sprint

ok- how do I extend the active directory schema to have a "Radio" field per user? Then they could do a lookup and add the user with the Radio field to their local address book. It is not possible to sync each of the 105 units with BB Desktop.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
jtucker

Wondering if there was any resolution to this? I have contacted our provider Nextel and they said that it was not possible (at least they did not know how to do it). Curiously enough, it appears that when looking up a user in Outlook 2003 client (Address Book) there is an place for a "Radio" value. But not sure where in AD this value is stored.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
loren
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520

I joined this forum today to look for an answer to this very issue.

Coincidentally, I also tried to use Pager. I guess that's the logical choice.

I am waiting for a call back from my Nextel rep, but unless someone here has found another solution, it seems like there is no way to but DC numbers into the GAL.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:36 AM   #6
JRV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e

It's been discussed here before, but BES has no provisions for distributing DC numbers.

We went through the same exercise here; that's probably why I joined this forum, too, and I know we tried the "Pager" field, too. By the time we got to that point, I knew it wouldn't work, but the client insisted that must be what the field was for. We had the same result the OP did. And there is no "Radio" field in AD, as there is in Outlook Contacts.

Nextel told my client it was possible, and that was part of the reason they went with Nextel & BBs. He was really annoyed when I had to tell him he'd been misled. He asked the Nextel rep if his own BB, issued by Nextel and activated on Nextel's BES, had the ability to DC other BES-activated phones via BES address book entries. The rep said no, but he assumed that was just because Nextel didn't want to enable that functionality for them! Ah, yes...sales people!

IMHO, this is core functionality RIM needs to add. My client was very disappointed by the lack of this functionality and the additional expense in intra-company calling it represents. I see from the posts on this board that a lot of Nextel customers feel the same way.

And in answer to your next question, no, there's no way to do a lookup against Contacts in an Exchange Public Folder, either. Or any other way to access a Public Folder, for that matter. Not with BES4; BES 3.7 (before my time) had that functionality, but RIM removed it in 4.0.

Last edited by JRV; 08-05-2005 at 10:40 AM..
Old 08-05-2005, 10:58 AM   #7
jwcanada
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

We have this same issue...we are a Notes shop. We have went back and forth with RIM and NEXTEL and here is the story I get:

Until Domino will cooperate more then are hands are tied!!! PLEASE!!! There is always a work around to waiting on Domino to add a DCID field so it will play friendly.

So it appears this just is not on their priority list. If someone knows any differently then let me know.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:03 AM   #8
JRV
Thumbs Must Hurt

I agree...their hands are tied?? That's ridiculous.

BES's database knows the DCID. It doesn't need a field in the mail server directory to store it in to push it out to the BBs any more than BES needs fields in the directory to push IT policy out to the BBs. What a crock.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:31 PM   #9
ilguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

What RIM needs to do is allow for the synicing of public outlook folders in addition to user contact folders. Then you could just have all of your users sync to a public folder that contained all of your employee NEXTEL info.... the only way to do that now is disable over the air syncing of address book and desktop sync them instead....
Old 08-05-2005, 09:37 PM   #10
JRV
Thumbs Must Hurt

ilguy

Yeah, Public Folder access would help. It would be great for allowing access to the 1000s of shared Contacts many companies already have in Public Folders, among other things.

But for DCID's that's an expensive solution. A $25,000/year human has to duplicate the BB-using GAL as Contacts in the public folder, then add the DCIDs to the Radio field. And keep it up to date as people are hired and fired.

And somehow, the BB user needs to figure out which Address Book entry they need to use to contact their co-worker; the one from the GAL, which doesn't have the DCID, or the one from the Public Folder, which does.

That would be better than nothing, which is what we have now. But a labor-intensive, error-prone solution.

BES already knows the DCID for each and every Nextel phone you have. It's in your config database right this second. But it's useless to have it there, because the BBs don't have access to it in order to place a DC call.

So what RIM really needs to do is provide a way for the BBs to get at the info BES has already collected.

Last edited by JRV; 08-05-2005 at 09:42 PM..
Old 08-11-2005, 11:14 PM   #11
lwong
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

You need itrezzo Emergency Preparedness Software. I know the name is misleading but it'll solve your problem.

http://www.itrezzo.com/EPS_BlackBerry_PIN_to_PIN.htm

"It automates the synchronization of company contacts with handhelds throughout an organization. Phone and address information are automatically pushed to user contact folders within your organization.

- Works across all models of BlackBerry handhelds and PDAs that synchronize with Microsoft® Outlook.

- Manages BlackBerry PIN, Nextel Direct Connect™ and critical contact data.

- Lets you push the GAL to handhelds and automatically add and remove new users."
Old 08-12-2005, 09:53 AM   #12
JRV
Thumbs Must Hurt

lwong, that looks VERY interesting. Hopefully their pricing is in line with business use and not emergency use! Thanks for posting this.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:59 PM   #13
michellem812

Model: 7520

I have one solution...we have BES 4.0 on Exchange 2003, you're right about the DC not working in the GAL, only in the person's personal contact folder in Outlook, which does get pushed to the user's BB and then they can use DC. Here's our solution:

1. Created an Exchange user account (ie, called "GALContacts") that is only used to create the global contacts in the GALContacts contact list. You can't use OWA, unfortunately, you need to use Outlook program to populate the "Radio" field.

2. Used EXMERGE.exe utility (from support.microsoft.com) to export GALContacts' contact list to a PST file. (can be scripted in batch file)

3. Copy this GALContacts.pst file multiple times as each user (through a batch file), ie, JohnDoe.pst, JaneDoe.pst

4. Use EXMERGE.exe to transfer the GALContacts to each user's personal contacts list. This will ADD the global contacts to each user's personal contacts, but won't hurt their existing personal contacts.

5. When changes are made to the GALContacts contact list, run steps 2-4 again (again, scripted in a batch file). There's an option to replace a same-named existing contact with the newer data, but again it doesn't hurt the user's personal contacts.

We setup a "Category" in Outlook for the global contacts, so the bb users could filter just for the global contacts vs. all other contacts.

It's not fool-proof and requires a bit of setup on the front-end (and you need to work closely with the network and Exchange administrator, unless you're lucky enough to be both ), but once it is setup it works fairly well.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:54 PM   #14
stevesanta

Default DCID synch in with Lotus Notes

I put the DCID in the pager field and just change the PIM synch field mapping so that the pager field in the personal address book gets pushed to the DCID field on the blackberry.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:20 PM   #15
murpheous
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

FWIW, this was a simple fix for us. But we run Lotus.
Closed Thread