Please Login to Remove!

REVIEW:
Freedom Universal Keyboard*
*New! 09/02/2008: Updated to Freedom Universal Keyboard 2 with NEW Easy Setup
and removable easle!
from
Freedom Input Ltd - Home

Price: Range $89.99-$105.99
This Review is of the Freedom Universal Keyboard from Freedom Input.

The keyboard came nicely packaged as shown below from Freedom Input:

__________________________________________________ ________

Below is what is included in the package. It includes the folding keyboard, removeable easle (stand,) a pretty nice leather case, batteries, and the quick start guide.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Folded, the keyboard measures 5 3/4" x 3 7/8" x 3/4" thick. It's quite compact and fits easily in any briefcase or suitcase.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

When opened, the keyboard measures 11 1/4" x 3 7/8". On the upper left side is a slide out, and new removeable easle/stand for the BB. I found that it's made more for the full sized Blackberries but holds my Pearl just fine as well.

Installing the drivers, normally, is quite simple. I went to Freedom Input's website, downloaded the latest driver and installed it on my BB and set the permissions for the keyboard application's required Keystroke Injection. With the Freedom Universal Keyboard 2 there is simple OTA downloading of the drivers now and no more "unique codes" or "unlock codes" required! This is a big change and has really made this keyboard a pleasure to use. Note: With no BES involved the above instructions will have you up and running within minutes. If you are on a BES (or your BB has ever been on a BES) that's when problems can arise due to the keyboard requiring "Keystroke Injection".

If you're on a BES I suggest contacting your BES Admin prior to purchasing a keyboard to make sure that they can enable the "event injector api" for use with the keyboard. Even liberal IT policies by default disallow the event injector api. You can check this by looking in your Application Permissions under Interactions. Look for "keystroke injection." If you can set "keystroke injection" to "allow" then you will have no problems. If its locked to "deny" you won't be able to install the keyboard on your own. However, all your Admin needs to do is setup an application configuration policy for the keyboard driver and enable "event injector api" in the setup and they can push the "approved" driver out to you or you can download and install as described above. Just make sure that the driver version you install matches the one your Admin setup on the BES.

Again, I recommend checking with your BES Admin first to make sure they are willing to do this. Most are willing but you will need to ask. Chances are they've already set this configuration up for someone else and they will only need to add you to the configuration. This was the case for me. If your IT department is uneasy about doing this the techs at Freedom Input are VERY helpful with this setup and are willing to assist you and your Admin, if necessary. I spoke with several of the Freedom techs during my setup and the technical support from them is excellent. Once the policy was setup properly on the BES my keyboard driver worked beautifully.

__________________________________________________ _______________

The keyboard has a locking mechanism that slides to the right to lock the keyboard in the open position. This makes it suitable for lap use. The lock rod doesn't feel like it would support too much pressure, however, and even in the locked postion the keyboard does flex a little while in your lap.

After installation of the app and pairing of the keyboard is complete, turn on the keyboard to "SPP." Then go to the Keyboard app on the BB and check the box for "Activate Keyboard."

The keyboard is universal so it supports multilanguages and has many of the other characters required. There are marked shortcut keys for email, memo pad, tasks and calendar. Additionally, the top row of number keys can be customized for shortcuts for virtually any application loaded on the BB. Simply program the keys in the keyboard driver and then use Fn + 0-9 for up to 10 programmable shortcuts. This is a nice feature but I found myself not being able to remember which key I programmed for what. Decals or something similar would be nice for this, at least for the most common BB apps.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

On the upper right side is the battery compartment. It uses 2 AAA batteries (supplied). Just to the right of that is the SPP/Off/HID switch. Unlike other similar keyboards this one is Dual Standard HID / SPP. it's a three position switch. To the left is SPP mode and to the right is HID mode and in the middle is off. The Blackberry uses only SPP. If you only have a Blackberry then you will only use the SPP side of this switch and the Dual Standard isn't going to benefit you. However, if you are someone who has multiple types of devices, then this keyboard will work with your other smartphones and PDA's. One keyboard will do it all-quite a nice touch. This means that if you give up the BB for something else (why on Earth would anyone do that?) then the keyboard will work with your next device.

One thing to note in the photo below is the position of the right-hand "shift" key and the "?" key. They are opposite what I'm used to. This does catch me when I'm typing at a pretty good rate. You have to search around for it if you are used to it being on the inside of the "shift" key. Also, I found that the split in the space bar (necessary for folding the keyboard) is exactly where I rest my thumb when typing. I find myself having to shift where I rest my thumb. If you push both space bars at the same time then you get two spaces. Not a major problem but does take a little getting used to.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Typing on the keyboard is quite easy and really is convenient for typing longer emails, especially on SureType devices. Even if you use a full Qwerty keyboard this external keyboard really speeds up the typing. Once the initial setup (described above) is complete, subsequent connections to the keyboard take only a few moments and are quite simple.

I have been using the Freedom keyboard for over a year now and the new updated Freedom Universal Keyboard 2 model for a couple of months and, must say, I'm hooked. I don't use it all the time, of course, but I try to keep it nearby and do use it quite often. It works well for any application from Google Talk, FaceBook, BeeJiveIM (JiveTalk) and BlackBerry Messenger to composing emails and adding contacts to your address book.

When I am finished I simply go to the keyboard app, uncheck the "activate Keyboard" box, turn the keyboard off, fold up the keyboard, slip it into the nice leather case and throw it back inmy briefcase, suitcase, or computer bag. Note: In the instructions it says to connect the keyboard simply check the "Activate Keyboard" box and then the "Reconnect" box. Then you can just turn on/off the switch on the keyboard and it will connect and reconnect on it's own. This works good if you use the keyboard often. I've found that if I don't use the keyboard often then the application will still run and look for the keyboard and run the battery down on my BlackBerry faster. Personally, when I'm done using it I uncheck the "Activate Keyboard" box in the application and turn off the switch on the keyboard.

Overall, I am quite impressed with the keyboard. The dual standard for use with BB as well as other smartphones and PDA's makes it a great buy for those with other types of devices. It's small and portable which makes it great for traveling. It allows a longer leash on that laptop many of us carry around when traveling. I can sit down and type that long email without dragging out the laptop.

Note: I've seen this keyboard advertised that if used with BlackBerry devices with OS 4.2 and higher that BES changes are NOT required. This is not always true. If your BES has sent a policy specifically disallowing the event injector then you will still need BES changes. I have the Curve, with 4.5, and still needed the BES admin to apply the configuration to the BES for my account. Contact Freedom Input or your BES Admin for more information on installing in BES environments.

Pros:

1. Fast, convenient typing of text.
2. Small, lightweight and very portable.
3. Dual standard for use with many types of devices
4. Excellent support

Cons:
1. space bar split somewhat inconvenient (this is the same as with other keyboards as well.)
2. Right hand "shift" key and "?" are swapped (compared with US keyboards.)
3. Can be a little time consuming to setup with a BES. It can even be impossible if BB 'used' to be on a BES but is no longer on the BES. If a policy allowing event injection can't be sent to the device then the Freedom keyboard (or any brand keyboard) will not work. If your device has an old IT policy that is no longer used you can remove the IT policy by following the instructions here. If you're using OS 4.3 or higher, use Method #1 in that link. If you have OS 4.2 or older use Method 2. However, the blank policy listed in the "Remove IT Policy" link still doesn't allow event injection and if there is no OS 4.5 update available for your device, it's possible that this keyboard will never work.

For more information on this keyboard and a list of online merchants go to Freedom Input Ltd - Home

Last edited by John Clark; 11-15-2008 at 03:18 PM..
Old 04-06-2007, 01:35 AM   #2
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Cool! I hope it's not too expensive.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:57 AM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Added the price range I've found on different online retailers.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:34 AM   #4
cenner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 23E57F7C
Carrier: T-Mobile

This puppy is kinda cool. Could be very useful when traveling and replying to email after email. Nice find. I'm in for one as soon as the price comes down a bit. =)

:: Black BlackBerry Pearl on T-Mobile w/ 1GB MicroSD ::
:: BSE Skin - Version 4.2.1.66 BIS ::
Old 04-06-2007, 03:02 AM   #5
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenner
This puppy is kinda cool. Could be very useful when traveling and replying to email after email. Nice find. I'm in for one as soon as the price comes down a bit. =)
They are offering a 15% discount to BBF members....

Clicky --> http://www.blackberryforums.com/free...tml#post494803
Old 04-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
CTylerPace

Model: 8800C
Carrier: Cingular

I picked mine up for $74.95 plus $5.95 shipping at myTreo.net.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

This is the same keyboard as the original ThinkOutside Shasta keyboard. Just with a different name on it. My guess is both Freedom Input and ThinkOutside private label these from the manufacture.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

It looks similar but it's not the same keyboard. This keyboard is dual standard so it will work with BB AND other smartphones/pda's like Palm etc. The ThinkOutside Shasta won't. Also, this keyboard has programmable Fn keys for shortcuts. I would venture to say that the actual keyboard shell is probably made by the same company but beyond that they're quite different. Also, I don't know about the ThinkOutside folks but the support from Freedom Input team makes this keyboard great.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:42 AM   #9
chrismacsween
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: 205D8AAC
Carrier: 02

Just to confirm, the Freedom Universal keyboard itself is manufactured by the same Chinese factory as the Shasta. However, the technical spec is quite different. It is, as has been already posted, dual profile (HID/SPP), whilst the Shasta is only SPP profile.
It also has programmable fn keys for application shortcuts.
We, at Freedom, build and maintain all our own drivers which are only available to Freedom users.
We also provide worldwide after care support for our keyboards.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Chris Macsween.

Freedom Input Ltd.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:57 PM   #10
Miya
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers

Does anyone know if you can set up the keyboard OTA???
Old 06-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #11
chrismacsween
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes you can.

Go to Freedom Input for the OTA download.

Shout if you need our help!

Chris Macsween.

Freedom Input Ltd.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:58 AM   #12
Tiffosi2000

Model: 7100v
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

Hi,

I recently bought one of these but am having problems with the browser. I am used to using the tab button to scroll through pages but neither that nor the page down works. The only way i can scroll is by choosing select mode, which i then have to change back to activate any links!

Any ideas on this, its set up on BES. Everything else works.

Thanks for any help!

Kevin
Old 06-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #13
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

does any1 know if this keyboard also works on the ps3? ps3 has bluetooth capability. if yes, then i will get it since i will have 2 uses...ps3 and my blackberry. thx in advance.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:43 AM   #14
chrismacsween
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sorry guys for the delay in reply. I have not been able to check the forums recently.

Kevin,
This is an issue that has only recently been identified and we are looking in to it now. It seems to be that the browsing software works very differently from any other software (IE if you press tab on a keyboard it has no effect in the browsing software). This is a specific issue with this one software application and we are hoping to be able to find a work around for this.

As you say the only work around at the moment is to choose select mode or use the trackball/wheel on the BlackBerry.

vincentnyc,
We have not been able to confirm this but have had reports from some customers that it does. If anyone would like to send a free PS3 to our tech support guys I'm sure they would be more then happy to test it ;)

Chris Macsween.

Freedom Input Ltd.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:38 PM   #15
MarkF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: ATT
Default BES setup info

Here is excellent info when setting up wireless pushes for 3rd party apps.
Use KB03748 to do the setup. If you have a newer model BB, make sure it is listed in the device.xml file on the BES (this tripped me up big time) - go to KB04693 for instructions.

The KB articles are in the Support section of Blackberry.com

On a personal note, I was very impressed by Freedom's customer support.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:05 PM   #16
orbitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile
Default Freedom Universal Keyboard and MailStreet.com

Hi all,

Sorry if this didn't belong as a new topic, but I figured it may be of interest to other users who also use MailStreet for their BES hosting. I am working with them to get my BES account set up to allow the use of the Freedom keyboard. They left me a voice mail this morning telling me they will make the necessary changes to allow the use of the keyboard. There is a $30 fee for this which is ok with me if it works correctly. They are asking for the .alx and .cod files which I am still a little unsure what /where to get them for them...just now starting to work on that.

So, for anyone else on MailStreet, they will allow the use of the keyboard. Hopefully, once my account gets set up correctly, it will make the process easier for anyone else on their service wanting to use this excellent keyboard. I will post when it is working...maybe people can use my domain name with them to point them to so they can expedite future setups etc.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:32 PM   #17
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Contact Freedom's support department. They have awesome support and will work with your BES admin (MailStreet) to get you up and running.

BBF member Chrismacsween is with Freedom and can help you if you can't get through to the regular support team.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:38 PM   #18
orbitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile

I spent 2 hours on the phone with MailStreet...they added the .cod and .alx files and made all the necessary changes to the BES policies that they understood needed to be made and still no joy...we deleted and pushed new service books etc. and I still get the error message when I try and type on the keyboard.

It still says Deny for Keystroke Injection for all modules. MailStreet has sent an email off to Paul at Freedom to see if he can be of any help.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:45 PM   #19
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Make sure the version you loaded on the BB is the exact same version they put in the BES. Then go to Options >Advanced Options >Applications. Scroll to and highlight "Bluetooth Keyboard." Then click the menu key and select "edit Permissions." Expand "Interactions" and see if you can set the keystroke injection to "allow" from there. You will only be able to set it to "allow" for that one particular application, not for all of them.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #20
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Also check to make sure your device did, indeed, receive a new policy after they made the changes.