Old 08-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
swiltzius

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Exclamation Address Book Sync problems

Please Login to Remove!

Help!
For the 3rd time I am having this problem and I can not seem to figure out why it is happening or how to fix it with out doing a wipe on the phone.

Computer: Mac OS X 10.5.7 (and happened in 10.5.4 to 10.5.6) Current PocketMac SyncManager software, updated driver set.
BB: Sprint Curve 8330 running 4.5.0.131 (I connect via USB)

What I am doing: I am using the default install of PocketMac SyncManager to copy only my address book from Address Book.app to my BB. I had it set up to sync between them but found it duplicated addresses (this happened to me 2x). I do have my address book sync with MobileMe so I figured I would eliminate the sync and only do a "Overwrite device" that eliminates the duplicates. I have no other items syncing (no Calender, tasks, etc.)

What is happening: I have updated my address book on my mac with new contacts. When i click the Sync button it spins and when it hits Address Book it stalls and nothing happens other then the CPU fan goes to full after a bit. Other symptom is I can not edit any existing contacts on the phone (even though I know they would not be saved after sync.) I get the following error "Addresses updated externally. Changes will be lost and viewer closed" It will allow me to create new contacts and edit them.

What I have tried:
1 - Enter your Address Book
2 - Click the Menu Key and choose Options
3 - Type the letters rset

Also:
~/Library/Application Support/PocketMacSyncManager/Additional Tools/DataPurgeUI and
~/Library/Application Support/PocketMacSyncManager/Additional Tools/SyncClean

Also:
Connect the smartphone to a Windows PC running Desktop Manager 5.0 and use Backup/Restore - Advanced to clear the two address book databases (Address Book and Address Book - All)

Result was nothing, i still have my address book populated and unable to sync. For lack of a better term it appears that the database is in a read only mode and looking at this outside source (what eve that may be) to do the sync. I really do not want to do a wipe of the phone again since I do use BB Messenger and I have to re-add everyone and they have to re-add me when I did the wipe before.

Is there a way to see what it is trying to sync to remotely? Is there a preference type file that can be deleted that controls where this database is looking? I really do not want to go to Entourage 2004 to sync with since I have 2 Macs I go between and MobileMe solves many other issues. Oddly I do not have this problem with the other 14 phones I manage however they all do sync to Entourage.

Sam
Old 08-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Mac syncing has been problematic from day 1. PocketMac is good for older Macs, but newer ones, like anything with an Intel chip, often gag on PocketMac. Mark/Space's Missing Sync helps some folks who have zero luck with PocketMac but even Missing Sync fails for lots of people. Entourage is the best syncing solution for Macs (with either PM or Missing Sync) in terms of reliability and ease of syncing, but it's far from ideal.

The best bet is to wait for the September release of the BlackBerry Desktop Software for Mac from RIM. It's the Mac users' unicorn, having been rumored, spied in testing, and dreamed about for years. Now we're finally getting it for real.

Last edited by rambo47; 08-06-2009 at 01:49 PM..
Old 08-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
sbbytor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Pocketmac sucks. Uninstall and wait for the software in september.