BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
faydoiinspire

Model: 8700G
Default New to the 8700G

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everybody,

I just purchased a unlocked 8700g from eb ay. I'm on the cingular network, but I just like how the 8700 looks compared to the 8700c. Anyway, before I pay the guy..I just wanted to make sure that there wont be any problems running this phone on the cingular network.

And i'm very new to Blackberry's. Can someone explain to me what BES/BIS is. And what would i need the PIN # for. if i dont have this..would it be possible to still use the browser and check email (gmail). Please fill me in guys. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

If it's unlocked then you will have NO issues using it on Cingular...

BES is usually a company server (for the most part) and BIS is for personal email accounts...
Old 03-04-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
Chinasaur
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z30
Carrier: T-Mobile

In addition to the IMEI(GSM)/ESN(CDMA), every BB has PIN#. A unique number for each BB. With a data plan, you can send msgs to a BB via PIN msgs..

Place your Cingular SIM in the phone. If you receive no odd msgs/foreign SIM msgs, it's unlocked.

You can also check unlocked status by going to Options, Advanced Options, SIM Card. Type MEPD once you are in the SIM card screen. If everything shows "Disabled", the unit is truly unlocked.

Luck.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
faydoiinspire

So if the guy doesn't provide me with the Pin #, will i have any problems accessing the internet or sending SMS's.

Will I need the Pin # to use BIS?
Old 03-04-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

The pin is in the BB and can be looked up from the BB...

The PIN is used for PIN to PIN communication between BB's....

If the device is unlocked, then you will be able to do everything as soon as you start a BB data plan and activare the BB with your carrier....
Old 03-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
faydoiinspire

Great! I tried signing up for the pinstack forum and asking the same questions but they didn't reply. You guys are awesome! Thanks a million

The guy said it will definitely work with cingular so hopefully he is not lying on his auction. I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited by faydoiinspire; 03-04-2007 at 05:55 PM..
Old 03-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #7
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

T-Mo unlockes devices for free so I am betting it's unlocked.... BUT you never know.... Good luck and post back with the findings
Old 03-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I don't think you got your real questions answered so here goes.

The 8700c is the Cingular branded BB 8700 so their should be no issues at all getting set up and on their network. You do not need to have it unlocked to work on Cingular. Just call Cingular CS or go to a Corp store and set it up. You will need the IMEI and PIN however.

The IMEI and PIN are used to register your device with your carrier and with RIM so it knows where to send email. If you don't have them, you can't get a BB dataplan and you can't set up your email account. No dataplan no Internet and no email.

You can find the IMEI and PIN under "OPTIONS" and then "STATUS".

If you bought your device on ebay, you should contact the seller and make sure he/she deleted their BIS account (if that is what they used) and released the IMEI and PIN so that you can register your BB on BIS. If it was used on a BES account, you also need to ensure that all corporate IT policies have been removed. Otherwise you have an expensive paperwight if you can not remove them yourself.

Sometimes the carrier can help sort it out and RIM can also help. But it is best and less hassle to have the previous owner do the dirty work.

These are the two main problems of buying a BB on ebay.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #9
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub
Really? I thought it was answered..... But..... [[shrug]]
Old 03-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #10
faydoiinspire

Quote:

The 8700c is the Cingular branded BB 8700 so their should be no issues at all getting set up and on their network. You do not need to have it unlocked to work on Cingular. Just call Cingular CS or go to a Corp store and set it up. You will need the IMEI and PIN however.

The IMEI and PIN are used to register your device with your carrier and with RIM so it knows where to send email. If you don't have them, you can't get a BB dataplan and you can't set up your email account. No dataplan no Internet and no email.

You can find the IMEI and PIN under "OPTIONS" and then "STATUS".

If you bought your device on ebay, you should contact the seller and make sure he/she deleted their BIS account (if that is what they used) and released the IMEI and PIN so that you can register your BB on BIS. If it was used on a BES account, you also need to ensure that all corporate IT policies have been removed. Otherwise you have an expensive paperwight if you can not remove them yourself.

Sometimes the carrier can help sort it out and RIM can also help. But it is best and less hassle to have the previous owner do the dirty work.

These are the two main problems of buying a BB on ebay.
it's actually a 8700G (i think the TMo version). I just messaged the guy regarding the IMEI & PIN issue. hopefully he has already deleted his account. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #11
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by faydoiinspire
it's actually a 8700G (i think the TMo version). I just messaged the guy regarding the IMEI & PIN issue. hopefully he has already deleted his account. Thanks for the heads up.
If its an 8700g, then it will have to be unlocked to operate on Cingular. As other posters memntioned, you will need to get an unlock code (hopefully from T-Mobile) to unlock it and then call Cingular and get it provisioned on their network.

Last edited by Dubdub; 03-04-2007 at 07:59 PM..
Old 03-04-2007, 07:58 PM   #12
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
If its an 8700g, then it will have to be unlocked to operate on Cingular. As other posters memntioned, you will need to get an unlock code (hopefully from T-Mobile) to unlock it and then call Cingular and get it provisioned on their network.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #13
faydoiinspire

Quote:
Yep he said it's unlocked..so hopefully I wont have to go to TMo to get it unlocked.

Now is the IMEI/PIN essential for internet usage? I thought I could just sign up for the Media plan from cingular (the unlimited internet usage with 200 text messages for $19.99) and it will work from there.

Before reading Dub's post..i thought BIS was only for connecting your email account(s) to sync w/ the BB. Is this true?
Old 03-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #14
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Yep he said it's unlocked..so hopefully I wont have to go to TMo to get it unlocked.

Now is the IMEI/PIN essential for internet usage? I thought I could just sign up for the Media plan from cingular (the unlimited internet usage with 200 text messages for $19.99) and it will work from there.

Before reading Dub's post..i thought BIS was only for connecting your email account(s) to sync w/ the BB. Is this true?
You have to have a BB dataplan for email and Internet. No BB plan no email and no Internet. The personal plan is $34.99 a month, $29.99 if you have an appropriate voice plan.

BIS is the personal Internet service. You use BIS to set up your email accounts so email comes to the BB. You use Desktop Manager to synch contacts, and calendar with Outlook or other similar supported PIMS. The only way to synch email is to use BES or a hosted BES account.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #15
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
Really? I thought it was answered..... But..... [[shrug]]

Sorry. I didn't see your post.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #16
faydoiinspire

Quick need help. Just received the 8700g. (beautiful phone btw..i'm loving it).

How do I backup my address book from the 7290 to the 8700g?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-08-2007, 08:00 PM   #17
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

get the newest Version of Desktop manager it has a device wizard for switching blackberries that should take care of transferring your info from 7290 to 8700
Old 03-08-2007, 08:39 PM   #18
faydoiinspire

Figured it out. thanks!