Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW
Default Static while on calls

Please Login to Remove!

I've noticed that while on phone call's with the Curve there's static on the line. I noticed while on a call today,
and it's kind of annoying. Now I'm wondering if it's because the earpiece volume is so much louder then the 8800, or if it's just a defect on my the phone! Anyone else hearing any static while on a call?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
wyk1982

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t

i'm hearing the same static... i think i'm just used to my verizon cell phone.. i'm in nyc also and i notice youre a verizon user as well..

i havent ported my number over to at&t yet because i'm testing out the curve for a while to see if the service is ok... only complain while on the phone is the static.

a BIG complaint for me though is everytime you get a message every electrical appliance in the room starts buzzing.. very annoying.. never happened with cdma..
Old 06-05-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
CrashPush
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2404E72F
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyk1982 View Post
a BIG complaint for me though is everytime you get a message every electrical appliance in the room starts buzzing.. very annoying.. never happened with cdma..
I'm getting that too, but not all the time. With CDMA it was nonexistent.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
oester
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
i'm hearing the same static... i think i'm just used to my verizon cell phone.. i'm in nyc also and i notice youre a verizon user as well..

Welcome to the world of GSM. Very common problem with many GSM phones. Some say the BB is worse, but I've had it happen on all of my GSM phones. Worst part is, I can't set my BB on the nightstand next to my clock radio. Bzzzzzt! All night.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
whoscalling
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:

i havent ported my number over to at&t yet because i'm testing out the curve for a while to see if the service is ok... only complain while on the phone is the static.

Ditto.

I don't care what anyone else says but my experience is that cdma provides clearer calls.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

I can not complain about sound quality in any way. I used to have so many dropped calls with Nextel and I can't remember a dropped call with Cingular. No more echo and I hear no static. I am very happy ! !
Old 06-05-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
antcap51
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: ATT

why does gsm make everything buzz like that (radio, clock, computer speakers etc) and cdma doesnt?
Old 06-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antcap51 View Post
why does gsm make everything buzz like that (radio, clock, computer speakers etc) and cdma doesnt?
It is because of the different freq. that each phone operates.

GSM is know for this. The other night I was emailing a picture from my 8300 and it was laying on the desk next to my wireless mouse and the mouse acted crazy! The second it stopped transmitting to image, the wireless mouse worked perfectly again!

It is the freq. that GSM runs on!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
athenslb57
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by antcap51 View Post
I believe it has to do with the 800 mhz range that GSM uses. My ATT and my nextel both make computer speakers buzz.

If I remember correctly CDMA is a higher frequency and does not interfere with such devices.

My curve is clear as a whistle, so much so, that I ported my verizon # over to the BB curve and paid the ETF.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #10
abgopm

Model: Bold
Carrier: The New AT&T

I have switched from VZW also and have static as well. This is actually my second 8300. The first one kept restarting on me when I browsed the internet, it also wasn't built very well. It was squeaking every where. This new one is built very well and hasn't restarted yet, but the calls have some static sometimes. My wife has a tmobile pearl and it has the same static issues. Maybe it is just the GSM in my area.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:59 AM   #11
sonic117
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2404D7A1

Quote:

agreed! havning static on my calls and its friggin annoying.... and a resident in NYC as well!

I loved no static on verizon before.. ahh well
Old 07-19-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
ferradas
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

My 8300 has static on all my calls. It's very annoying. It sounds like the caller I'm speaking to is in a wind tunnel, well, not that bad but you get the point. I borrowed my sisters cheapo phone to make a call and it was VERY quite, I thought the phone wasn't working until I heard the other person say HELLO.

This is my only gripe about the Curve. It's my second unit and the one before this also had the static.

Is this the case just with the Blackberry's?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:05 PM   #13
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferradas View Post
My 8300 has static on all my calls. It's very annoying. It sounds like the caller I'm speaking to is in a wind tunnel, well, not that bad but you get the point. I borrowed my sisters cheapo phone to make a call and it was VERY quite, I thought the phone wasn't working until I heard the other person say HELLO.

This is my only gripe about the Curve. It's my second unit and the one before this also had the static.

Is this the case just with the Blackberry's?

Nah, it's not all BB's!
My 8700e never had any static,
and neither did my 7105t! However I popped my sim into my 8800 shortly after hearing the static on the Curve. And there was a little static, it was not as annoying because of the lower volume on the 8800 series. But it was definitely there. Hate to say it, but it may just be with BB's on at&t.
Can't be all the carriers fault because my Nokia N95 is crystal clear with no static. Who knows, hopefully the next BB series on at&t will not have any issues like this.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:14 AM   #14
iSellJerseyShore

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

I hope in the newer releases of the Curve that the static/hissing sound while on calls gets fixed. While in conversation the sound is gone, but during quite parts of calls it is prominent and is beginning to drive me nuts.

-Frankie
Old 09-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #15
eros18

I'm in NYC as well and I can't say that I've had any static on my 8300 or my previous 8700 with AT&T/Cingular.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #16
iSellJerseyShore

The static sound is similar to that of the sound some LCD screens makes when the backlight is on. The sound is present even when the screen is off and it sounds like screen is turning on and off............. errrrrrrr

P.S. I am in NJ and have tried it out in NYC, still the same....... I tend to believe its device related.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #17
rarexxx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have a Pearl with T-Mobile and get no static. Must be specific to AT&T and/or their GSM in the area.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #18
hmm

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Its got nothing to do with the frequency.

Its the type of transmission.

CDMA uses continuous low power output, whilst GSM uses pulsed transmission at a higher power. When the phone is working it turns the transmitter on and off every 1/8th of a second. This is why you hear buzz, it is at ~260Hz.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #19
iSellJerseyShore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post
Its got nothing to do with the frequency.

Its the type of transmission.

CDMA uses continuous low power output, whilst GSM uses pulsed transmission at a higher power. When the phone is working it turns the transmitter on and off every 1/8th of a second. This is why you hear buzz, it is at ~260Hz.
Do all GSM Smart Phones (BlackBerry, Treo etc.) make this 260Hz. Buzzing sound?
Closed Thread