Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 12:25 AM   #21
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

i would never use the gps on the blackberry while driving... what is the point. i have a tomtom and it has a bigger screen and it suction cups right onto my window. i would rather use my tomtom than my blackberry for gps. vz navigator is certainly not worth paying for.

news flash!!!! --> you can survive without GPS on your cell phone!!!

i say it over and over again...verizon is nationally superior. for everyone who thinks otherwise b/c at this one particular location they call their house, tmobile works best, well fine....my hat goes off to you lol. just look at the coverage maps for the PA-NJ-DE tri-state area i live in up here in the northeast. it doesn't take a genius to see that verizon is superior. and it's not just about CDMA having better signal penetration than GSM either............................

dawg has every right to get pissed off that people who complain about verizon not having GPS. if you want GPS in your phone, then go with another carrier. when you do that, with the curve for example, you will get:

1) slow EDGE speeds
2) battery draining wi-fi for fast data usage/browsing (if you can find a reliable hot spot on the go....)
2) NO video recording
3) less on-board memory than the 8330 (8330 has 96MB vs tmobile's and att's 64MB)

long has past the day when verizon made the mistake of not putting on their label that GPS was disabled...it's been years and years since that. there are no excuses for being misinformed about that one...

LEGEND:

orange - att
green - tmobile
red - verizon
green with sprint label - sprint...obviously

clearly verizon is the winner in the northeast...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT Wireless Tri-State (PA,NJ,DE).JPG
Views:	8
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	11635   Click image for larger version

Name:	verizon vs tmobile - new jersey coverage.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	11636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sprint Tri-State Coverage (PA, NJ, DE).JPG
Views:	8
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	11637  

Last edited by JGBerry; 06-04-2008 at 12:29 AM..
Old 06-04-2008, 01:04 AM   #22
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Verizon has better coverage in my area. The entire area is in solid red on the coverage map, while ATT and T-Mobile are in different shades of colors. And everyone here says Sprint's coverage is lousy.

I don't get why why everyone says GSM is superior. Granted I don't understand the technology, but people say CDMA is faster. I've had Verizon for several years now, before I had the Blackberry and I have no complaints at all about the service. Only right now, I wish they had the Curve in red...
Old 06-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #23
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

I believe folks still can argue about Verizon locking the gps to Vz Navigator. At least, the 8830 is suppose to be a WORLD EDITION. From what I understand the world stops at the east and west coasts of the US if you want a functioning gps application. In addition, they lock the user into ONE AND ONLY ONE GPS SOLUTION - when folks might want something different - something to track elevation gain on a bike ride, or a hiking trip, something simple that just shows lat/long.

And I still believe folks just have a right to complain and to make it clear to possible future verizon customers what these limitations mean - and whether or not Verizon's BB offering show misleading labels or not, the Customer Reps don't always get it right. As a matter of fact, I keep reading on forums like this, that if folks did their research (reading forums like this), they would know everything they need to make an informed decision. Well, these continuing dialogs (diatribes? (G)) help keep these issues fresh.

Just my two cents - which could reduce the price of Navigator if I did not squander it this way.....
Old 06-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #24
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I believe folks still can argue about Verizon locking the gps to Vz Navigator. At least, the 8830 is suppose to be a WORLD EDITION. From what I understand the world stops at the east and west coasts of the US if you want a functioning gps application. In addition, they lock the user into ONE AND ONLY ONE GPS SOLUTION - when folks might want something different - something to track elevation gain on a bike ride, or a hiking trip, something simple that just shows lat/long.

And I still believe folks just have a right to complain and to make it clear to possible future verizon customers what these limitations mean - and whether or not Verizon's BB offering show misleading labels or not, the Customer Reps don't always get it right. As a matter of fact, I keep reading on forums like this, that if folks did their research (reading forums like this), they would know everything they need to make an informed decision. Well, these continuing dialogs (diatribes? (G)) help keep these issues fresh.

Just my two cents - which could reduce the price of Navigator if I did not squander it this way.....

you have a point...people do still have the right to complain about how verizon locks down their gps and how their phones aren't "global friendly". but the majority of cell phone users don't travel to europe and bring their US cell phone with them. it's much cheaper to buy a pre-paid cell phone over there where it costs pennies a minute. granted, i guess if you have a business phone and the tab is already picked up, then it's more convenient to be able to use your own phone. but still...the majority of verizon customers don't use their phone overseas.

in my opinion, verizon blackberries not having GPS is a minute issue compared to the fact that GSM works horribly in buildings, and ATT's 3G coverage is wimpy. if i need something, i will pay for it. i needed GPS in my car...so i got a TomTom. i needed good reliable coverage with fast data EVERYWHERE...so i got verizon. that's just my take on it.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #25
customshopkv1
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A

GPS has not even been a consideration when I have purchsed phones. Coverage is the most important for me, and Verizon does a good job.
Closed Thread