Old 05-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
8703user
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Let's go there one more time - Playing WMA Files

Please Login to Remove!

We have WMA files generated by MS Exchange 2007 that are delivered via email - these are audio attachments of voice mail messages (Unified Messaging). Does anyone know of any way to have WMA files play on BB 8830 devices with the latest software from Sprint for the 8830 device? Must the BES convert the file before it's sent to the device? Can the BES do that? Is WMA supported and/or working for ANYONE here on an 8830? It would be great if we can get the WMA files to play directly on the device or have it converted to a supported format before it's sent to the device. That way, we won't have to call in on the phone to check voice mail - we can listen to the emailed audio attachment instead.

Anyone have WMA files playing on an 8830? Comments?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

We also use Unified Messaging, but our voicemails are delivered in .wav format.

In order to have the BB play them, I had to upgrade the Windows Media Player on the BES. I *think* version 7 was the minimum version and I installed version 9. Worked like a charm - no reboot of BES required.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
8703user
Thumbs Must Hurt

We tried WAV format, but the report I heard was "it sounded like crap so we switched back to WMA". I wouldn't know becuase they must have had it changed for such a short time, I never saw one of the WAV files. :( So I can't comment on how it really sounded - I can only report what they said. So anyway, we're stuck with wma and maybe no solution for BB users. I just switched back to a BB from a Windows mobile device. Couldn't stand that thing for many reasons - battery life, too small (my fault), no keyboard, only on-screen keyboard (again my fault for not testing it), not as customizable as a BB for in and out of holster audio/vibration profiles and so on, no auto dim/brightening for display like BB has and no GPS on the device I had!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

What version of Windows Media Player do you have installed on the BES?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
8703user
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm not sure. The person that maintains the BES is in another office than I am. If I were in the same office I'd pester that person a little to see what's going on...but I'm hesitant to be too much of a pest for fear of making them mad. I don't want to step on anyone's toes and appear to be telling them how to do their job.

Are you asking because you're thinking we should update the WMP if it's not up to a certain release? And that would only do us good for WAV files or is there a chance WMA can be converted and sent to the BB with the newer media player on the BES?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #6
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

I was going to check if .wma files can even be added as valid extension types on the BES (there is an attachment file list and each attachment extension needs to be listed there).

However, blackberry.com seems to be having major problem right now, so I can't check.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8703user View Post
I'm hesitant to be too much of a pest for fear of making them mad. I don't want to step on anyone's toes and appear to be telling them how to do their job.
This is also a wise thing to be aware of. Nothing gets my dander up more than one of my users coming across this way.

Had one just yesterday ask me what I thought of Sprint's new Bold BlackBerry. When I told him the device hadn't even been release yet (and certainly not from Sprint), he tried to tell me that he'd seen one.

I think not.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
8703user
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, I DO work in the IT dept in communications, but prmarily I maintain the telephone/voice mail systems and more recently take on responsibility of handling UM issues - enabling users, setting up auto attendants, dial plans, policies and so on. So really, we sort of work in the same group, but not very closely. We're all supposed to be one big happy family though
Closed Thread