Please Login to Remove!

Same here just got it fixed.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #82
bdaved

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default ATT data plan and BB Maps

Can you guys elaborate a little more about which ATT data plan you were on and which one you switched to that made it possible see BB Maps?
Thanks
Old 12-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #83
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Has anyone tried going to blackberry.com and clicking the "Update your Device Software" link in the bottom left under the Support heading? Someone mentioned he was able to install BB maps w/o using the DM.

EDIT: requires Internet Explorer browser.

Last edited by whsbuss; 12-01-2008 at 08:21 PM..
Old 12-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #84
sdtazman

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaved View Post
Can you guys elaborate a little more about which ATT data plan you were on and which one you switched to that made it possible see BB Maps?
Thanks
I had a Windows Mobile smartphone and when I got the BlackBerry, they never changed me over to the BlackBerry Data Plan (I think I had the PDA Business Plan). When they fixed it, my phone started downloading new information and I received an email from BlackBerry stating my handeld has been registered with the wireless network.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #85
bdaved

I connected my Bold to my computer, went to blackberry.com on IE on my computer and clicked on update device software in the bottom left corner of the webpage Clicked on the big green check for updates button and then it proceeded to download updater files etc and at the completion of the process it loaded up the blackberry application loader from blackberry desktop manager and checked my device and came back and said it had the most current software already installed. But it told me if I wanted to add additional features to click on the options button which I did and it displayed Blackberry maps so I checked the box and told it to install and it worked. I now have blackberry Maps installed and working great! Thanks for the Help
Old 12-04-2008, 01:53 AM   #86
rpyne

Thanks for the great tutorial and the theme. I installed the Hydra theme and now I can't find my call log icon. The call log icon is the biggest reason I didn't just use the Precision Silver theme.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:00 AM   #87
SteveSter1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

If you press the call button the call log comes up anyways.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #88
pedrolessa

Model: bold
Carrier: Vodafone Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaved View Post
I connected my Bold to my computer, went to blackberry.com on IE on my computer and clicked on update device software in the bottom left corner of the webpage Clicked on the big green check for updates button and then it proceeded to download updater files etc and at the completion of the process it loaded up the blackberry application loader from blackberry desktop manager and checked my device and came back and said it had the most current software already installed. But it told me if I wanted to add additional features to click on the options button which I did and it displayed Blackberry maps so I checked the box and told it to install and it worked. I now have blackberry Maps installed and working great! Thanks for the Help
Hello all forum members, i did this and i can't get BB maps. The icon doesn't appear... (i even took the batery out)
I used the North America Update because here in Europe, in the UK site i didn't find it.
What else can i do? Can you help me?
Thanks in advance.
P.S.- Sorry my english!!
Old 12-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #89
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolessa View Post
Hello all forum members, i did this and i can't get BB maps. The icon doesn't appear... (i even took the batery out)
I used the North America Update because here in Europe, in the UK site i didn't find it.
What else can i do? Can you help me?
Thanks in advance.
P.S.- Sorry my english!!
Maybe the icon is hidden. Try doing a show all from the home screen.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #90
retro-steve

Carrier: Rogers

Hi all! N00b question here: I just got my Bold two days ago, I'm on the Rogers network, have software V4.6.0.162, have BB Maps installed and I'm just wondering if there's any way to get map packs for BB maps? My family has various properties in the states (I'm in Canada) and I don't want to be downloading maps as I'm roaming because of the cost. So is it possible to download a map of all of California, Florida, etc... and save it to my device so that when I activate GPS it goes off the saved maps instead of downloading the maps section by section from the net?

Also an unrelated question, but hoping maybe someone can answer it here instead of making a new thread, if my wifi icon is on (I'm connected to a wifi hotspot) do all of my internet functions automatically go through wifi or do they go through the mobile wireless network and I have to manually switch to go through wifi?

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:04 PM   #91
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2
Carrier: Verizon

I just updated to 4.6.0.190 - I'm using an alt theme and still cant find the icon but see it in the applications list.

Under Options/Advanced Options/Maps - it says 'Default Service: Blackberry Maps - NA'

The service book I have says 'BlackBerry Maps - NA'

So what am I doing wrong or not doing? Any help would be appreciated!!
Old 12-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #92
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2
Carrier: Verizon

Scratch all what I just said

I resent the service books, for another reason, and the icon made its apperance.

Sooo, all good
Old 12-20-2008, 08:02 PM   #93
daddeez

Carrier: tmobile

Thank you much..worked great !
Old 01-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #94
derby

Model: 8820
Exclamation The facts re Blackberry Maps

Blackberry Maps is a very nice app, and after all, we've paid for it as part of our installed OS. I've recently made quite a few phone calls to both RIM and AT&T regarding the crippling of Blackberry Maps in OS 4.5.

RIM states that they would like it's customers to be able to use it, as they've put effort in making a quality application. However, AT&T is able to make certain changes to the OS when released to them.

AT&T, after denying they deactivated BB Maps, has said there's nothing we can do about it. AT&T offers the $10/month TeleNav alternative to the free Blackberry Maps.

It doesn't matter that Blackberry Maps is installed, and shows up in your Applications List within Options. AT&T doesn't want you to use it and has it deactivated. That's it.

Two examples:

1. I tried using the App called Poynt, but it failed to launch do to the deactivation of BB Maps. So AT&T is affecting the bread and butter of third party developers also.

2. WorldMate Live will not be able to use it's mapping feature without Blackberry Maps, until the Blackberry user installs another third party mapping app.

I have been very happy with AT&T in every way, for many years, but this customization and crippling of an operating system is unacceptable.

I suggest writing both AT&T and RIM to complain.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #95
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I believe poynt will also use google maps now. I don't use poynt, but remember reading something about it.

I'm using bb maps with AT&T, just load it from desktop manager and use a non-at&t theme. Yea, would be nice if they made it easy instead of all their bloat ware icons but it isn't difficult to get it working.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #96
derby

I have tried different themes, third party themes etc. Nothing brings BB Maps from it's disabled state. Rim has tried to help also. I had wiped my BB and installed with a fresh OS, due to an unrelated issue. So that removed BB Maps 1.2 from my Blackberry. Version 1.2 worked fine, even though it was not supported by AT&T. The current version of BB Maps is 4.5.

At one point, I had two versions, 1.2, and the new 4.5 of BB Maps installed, so when I deleted the old version, poof, off went the icon and it can no longer be used. AT&T has disabled the application, and I believe now there is nothing you can do to restore it without their intervention. As a part of BB Maps, there is the option of an IT dept. to disable it if they wish, and so, to coerce us into buying their monthly fee app, AT&T done just that.

Stating that AT&T does not support it is a polite way of saying they've disabled the app, or crippled the OS.

If there is another way, other than third party themes, or deleting code from install files, I don't know what it is. If you look inside the SErvice Books, there is one for (Blackberry Maps NA). Deleting this file doesn't help either.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #97
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Go to Options|Advanced Options|Service Books and see if you have a service book "Blackberry Maps - NA [LbsConfig]". The new version of BB Maps needs this service book.

If you don't have it, you're going to have to do a search to see how you can download it.

I agree with you that service providers shouldn't be allowed to cripple features on a phone that I buy. It would be like a car dealer disabling the FM radio so they can sell you XM radio. Verizon is far worse than AT&T.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #98
Kane317
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Question:

I love Google Maps (don't hate me); What are the benefits of BB Maps vs Google Maps? I had it on my 8800 and it was whatever compared to Google Maps.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #99
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

I think it was brought up in the beginning of the thread. BB Maps keeps your direction up rather than North up, you can send your location, integrates with the BB address book, integrates with third party software. No traffic and I find the routing isn't the best, I think it might be shortest and not fastest or doesn't account for road speed when it picks the route.

Google Maps and WLS I use far more than BB Maps.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #100
derby

And besides whether or not BB Maps is the better map app, it's the principle of the thing. If it's not the premier map app, then why cause so much consternation by disabling it. Blackberrys from AT&T should come surrounded by a prophylactic, so the carrier doesn't violate them.
Closed Thread