Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
MI_Jester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Thumbs up Playbook Processor Announced

Please Login to Remove!

YouTube - CrackBerrydotCom's Channel at about 4:35 into the video, Ryan Bidan, Sr. VP of BlackBerry PlayBook Product Team for RIM states the processor.

ARM Dual core 1Ghz Cortex A9 processor.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle. I can't wait for this thing.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Playbook Processor Announced

I saw an interesting article today about a former RIM exec who says this thing is domed to fail, mainly due timing, lack of developer support and the fact that you must have a BB tied to it.

Time will tell, but I tend agree on the problem of its reliance on tethering with a BB.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-11-2011, 01:17 AM   #3
MI_Jester
Thumbs Must Hurt

We'll see about the timing. In all of the videos they are still quoting 1st quarter, battery target is 8 hours of usable life. BB tethered is only required for BES access (since only the BB is administered by BES) and to get 3g from the WiFi tablet. The 4g (Sprint) version has already been announced by Sprint for this summer (Q2).

I don't think it will be as big as the iPad, but it doesn't need to be. I do know that I want one and if I can use the majority of BB apps on it through my BB, then I will be a happy camper.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:05 AM   #4
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

Looks like RIM will be coming out with a cool device that we all can count on. I will def get one.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

jester, I am not so sure about only for BES access. From what I read, if you want email on the Playbook, you have to hook it to the BB.

But then, just about everything we have seen and/or heard is still pure speculation.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

jester, the initially released devices will all require the "bridge" for access to your email, and to use BBM, etc., and at that point the Playbook screen basically mimics your BlackBerry screen. And your corporate IT Policies will apply on the device as well.

The Playbook is indeed looking to be a great device.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:03 AM   #7
MI_Jester
Thumbs Must Hurt

I must have phrased that poorly. You can still get web based email through a WiFi connection. To get your corporate email, you have to have it bridged to the BlackBerry. This helps provide security since the BB will have policies on it but the playbook itself will not. BBM requires a BlackBerry as well. What I am interested in finding out is if you can use any of the extensibility apps that are on the BB from the PlayBook. I didn't mention email since... well... I forgot some people don't use web based email. The only non-web based email I use is corporate.

The policies affect the BlackBerry and are on the BlackBerry. Since it is the bridge that the PlayBook uses to access your corporate email, the policies will affect the PlayBook, but no policy actually resides on the PlayBook.

I think we are all agreeing here.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Jester View Post
What I am interested in finding out is if you can use any of the extensibility apps that are on the BB from the PlayBook.
Sorry, I have no idea what "extensibility" apps are.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
MI_Jester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Application extensibility is where you can access corporate resources through the secure connection between your BB and your BES. For example, the SAP for BB application uses your corporate SAP database through the BES connection. That would be considered an "extensibility" application.

Technically, extensibility just means a future growth or expansion of the environment. All of the applications that extend the corporate data infrastructure access through the BB would fall into that category.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:06 AM   #10
MI_Jester
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK, I just found the specific chip... 1GHz Texas Instruments OMAP 4430.

Source BlackBerry PlayBook tablet poses big challenge for RIM - Computerworld
Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Model: PRIV
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
I saw an interesting article today about a former RIM exec who says this thing is domed to fail, mainly due timing, lack of developer support and the fact that you must have a BB tied to it.

Time will tell, but I tend agree on the problem of its reliance on tethering with a BB.
The only counter to this whole tethering thing is that although it might have more of a battle in the consumer space, it is still more than functional for general users.

Are we to say that having gmail access, along with chat programs running over wi-fi isn't good enough? the iPad has a Wi-Fi only version anyways. And who is going to have just a Playbook and not a blackberry or other phone. Either way just like with the iPad you'll now have two cellular accounts, or you will tether your BB.

I for one am incredibly excited. Anyone I've talked to who has actually seen it has been incresibly impressed so far.

I cannot wait until my work gets a box load from RIM :D
Closed Thread