BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile
Default 8320 ringers too loud? try these. (office friendly)

Please Login to Remove!

I've been using the same ringer for years on many phones, it's my bland, generic office friendly ringer that I found on a random website a long long time ago. It sounds nice and is completely un-annoying yet classy enough you're not embarrassed if it rings in a meeting or something.

Moving to the 8320, my ringers are LOUD, I mean way above and beyond what I would call normal; my existing ringer is so loud - on Low profile setting - that my speaker crackles when it kicks in. So, time to re-encode the original AAC file as three variations:

http://rivviepop.freehostia.com/bb/index.php?path=tone/

The first ZIP is just all three ringers zipped together for easy download, or if you have problems downloading the MP3 files.

ringer1.mp3: this is the original AAC file (44Hz/48.1kbit) decoded to WAV, then encoded as a 24Hz/64kbit MP3 file. The gain is at the original 97.5%, which still crackles on my new 8320. Included as the reference baseline ringer.

ringer2.mp3: this is ringer1.mp3 with the gain adjusted to 94.5% using mp3gain (meaning no decoding, it's a direct adjustment with no loss). I still find this a bit loud and crunchy even on Low profile.

ringer3.mp3: this is ringer1.mp3 with the gain adjusted to 89% using mp3gain again. This one is now what I'm using, it sounds like what I was used to on my Pearl, Nokias, Motos, etc. When played as a regular MP3 it sounds muted in comparison to ringer1 and ringer2, but as a ringtone it comes out sounding just fine.

Gain adjustment on all files was done with clipping protection, so the crackling you might here on ringer1 or ringer2 is *not* the MP3 file, it's something with how the 8320 uses it as a ringer and whatnot. They all sound perfectly fine when played with the desktop machine or as a regular MP3 file on the device, you'll only notice the volume differences when you actually assign them as ringtones in your profile, then call yourself from another phone to test it.

have fun!

Last edited by rivviepop; 10-10-2007 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: new webhost
Old 09-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
rivviepop

OK the post is all fixed up, BBF crashed on me 3 times trying to post this. Oy veh.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
MajSingh
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: 24b2b982
Carrier: ATT

Its like u read my mind... my mission for 2nite was to find quiter ringers for office use. Thank you
Old 09-26-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
lonnielove
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
I've been using the same ringer for years on many phones, it's my bland, generic office friendly ringer that I found on a random website a long long time ago. It sounds nice and is completely un-annoying yet classy enough you're not embarrassed if it rings in a meeting or something.

Moving to the 8320, my ringers are LOUD, I mean way above and beyond what I would call normal; my existing ringer is so loud - on Low profile setting - that my speaker crackles when it kicks in. So, time to re-encode the original AAC file as three variations:

Index of /bb/tone/

The first ZIP is just all three ringers zipped together for easy download, or if you have problems downloading the MP3 files.

ringer1.mp3: this is the original AAC file (44Hz/48.1kbit) decoded to WAV, then encoded as a 24Hz/64kbit MP3 file. The gain is at the original 97.5%, which still crackles on my new 8320. Included as the reference baseline ringer.

ringer2.mp3: this is ringer1.mp3 with the gain adjusted to 94.5% using mp3gain (meaning no decoding, it's a direct adjustment with no loss). I still find this a bit loud and crunchy even on Low profile.

ringer3.mp3: this is ringer1.mp3 with the gain adjusted to 89% using mp3gain again. This one is now what I'm using, it sounds like what I was used to on my Pearl, Nokias, Motos, etc. When played as a regular MP3 it sounds muted in comparison to ringer1 and ringer2, but as a ringtone it comes out sounding just fine.

Gain adjustment on all files was done with clipping protection, so the crackling you might here on ringer1 or ringer2 is *not* the MP3 file, it's something with how the 8320 uses it as a ringer and whatnot. They all sound perfectly fine when played with the desktop machine or as a regular MP3 file on the device, you'll only notice the volume differences when you actually assign them as ringtones in your profile, then call yourself from another phone to test it.

have fun!
Thanks for the ota link do you have any more at all , they dont have to be ota. thanks
Old 09-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
xploit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile-Titanium

thanks rivviepop Im gonna use this as a default ringer..do you have one for text messages?...alarm?...
Old 09-26-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by xploit View Post
thanks rivviepop Im gonna use this as a default ringer..do you have one for text messages?...alarm?...
nah, I like the built-in Notifier_Spell as my SMS/text notifier, I like the way it sounds - it's also very office friendly. don't use the alarm feature on my device, if you can believe that...
Old 09-26-2007, 10:49 PM   #7
xploit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile-Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
nah, I like the built-in Notifier_Spell as my SMS/text notifier, I like the way it sounds - it's also very office friendly. don't use the alarm feature on my device, if you can believe that...
my BB is my agenda,calculator,alarm clock,email reciever,GPS,web browser, U name it!!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #8
rivviepop

Just a note that the old free webhost started misbehaving, new URL now in the original post to the new webhost I found.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #9
avanden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

This is one reason I want a Curve... it rings loud. My ears aren't what they used to be so I need a loud ring. My old Motorola V220 rang loud but my current Motorola V557 doesn't (even on the loud setting I can barely hear it unless I put it right against my ear. I want to hear my U2 and Depeche Mode ringtones, dammit! So I keep it on vibrate as that actually makes more noise than the "Loud" setting does!