samos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell
Default Battery wont hold charge ... please help

Please Login to Remove!

My BB wont hold a charge

I fully charge my new BB Torch ... in an hour's its gone down to 85 percent. In anaother hoours down to 80 per cent. Then 75 per cent. This is with it just being turned on ... no phone calls, surfing etc.

Then I recharge it again at night ... turn it OFF ... and by morning when I turn it on its strength is 80 per cent. So it loses power even when turned off.

I went to my BB dealer and they put in a new battery and it makes no difference.

Sure this isnt normal. Any thoughts?.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Battery wont hold charge ... please help

First, please update your profile with the model number (980) not the name of the device.

Has this just started happening or has it been a problem from when you first started using the 9800?

How long does a charge typically last?

What 3rd party apps have you installed and are you using? Are their any data intensive applications running in the background?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
samos
Thumbs Must Hurt

thanks for trying to help ... but ive no gps or wi-fi or anything like that running in the background. and i hardly use the phone and do minimal browsing, some days none at all. i just got the bb for emergency use really. ill ask my dealer is theres something running in the background i dont know about, but i dont think its unreasoma ble to expect it to last several days if im not using it. im also suspiciouos it drains so quickly even when its off. thanks again
Old 01-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

One to two days max, depending on use and the apps that are running. Should never let it get below 20%. I keep mine topped up and connected when near a charger.

-->>Twitter

Old 01-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
jDMJeRk
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
One to two days max, depending on use and the apps that are running. Should never let it get below 20%. I keep mine topped up and connected when near a charger.
You just keep yours plugged in whenever you can?
Did I understand you correctly?
Old 01-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Yes you did.

I keep it plugged into a charger or the PC when I am in the office so it is topped up.

-->>Twitter

Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
DZD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

I seem to recall that earlier versions of the OS had a similar iissue. What version are you running? I'm on 6.0.0.246 and I don't have this issue.

Also you can press and hold the Menu key (next to the green key) to view all apps running. By default you should only see 5 icons (Browser; Home Page; email; Phone; Messenger). If you see others; select them and close the app. I'd look for anything using GPS and I'd also ensure your Bluetooth is turned off if you're not using it.

Good luck.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by DZD; 01-03-2011 at 08:10 AM..
Old 01-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
samos
Thumbs Must Hurt

i'm running version 6.0.0.246

I thought if you werent actually using the Torch and it was simply turned on, the battery life was supposed to be good for five or six days.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samos View Post
i'm running version 6.0.0.246

I thought if you werent actually using the Torch and it was simply turned on, the battery life was supposed to be good for five or six days.
I don't know of any smartphone that will do that. Don't what gave you that idea, but it isn't correct.

-->>Twitter

Old 01-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
samos
Thumbs Must Hurt

heres where i got the idea the bb cud hold a charge for up to two weeks:

BlackBerry Torchx™ 9800 | Skylar Wireless Solutions | Specifications, Features, User Guides
Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
Dubdub
Appleinator

Standby time is completely off. With it on, a day, maybe two at most. Depends on use, apps running in the background, whether you are in a good coverage area or not, etc.

-->>Twitter

Old 01-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Here is my perspective, for what it's worth:

First, Battery Won't Hold a Charge? Recognize that when you power off the BlackBerry it isn't really totally off. And ther might also be a hardeware fault that is draining power. If you want to test properly whether the battery is holding a charge, then charge it fully, leave it out of the BlackBerry for a suitable period of time, then return it to the BlackBerry and check.

Second, What Is a Reasonable Expectation? No one can really say. And real world performance is never as advertised for anyone. There are so many variables.

I can usually, when I have to, go a long, long day on a battery with heavy email and heavy browsing, and maybe a few short phone calls, and some navigation with BlackBerry Maps, and not end the day in the red. But I shut down third-party and add-on apps that run in the background, or set the update periods to the max (or set frequency to the lowest setting), and I don't use the media player. That's when I have to.

Topping off the battery at every opportunity is the smart thing to do. Especially if you are facing a long day and may not have many opportunities to charge, and especially if your usage puts a high demand on the battery.
If you've done all you can to improve battery life and you see no improvement, then try another battery. Buy genuine BlackBerry batteries and don't buy the cheapest you can find.

Also make sure terminals on the battery and on the handset are clean and not corroded.

If after all the above there is no improvement, then conclude the device is faulty.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
iphonetoTorch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: Rogers

I would not even waste my time trying to fix it because to me its obviously faulty. Its not normal that the battery is down 15% in less than 1h.

I would just go to Bell and exchange the phone for a new one. When I use mine a lot (texts and talk) and it lasts 1 day. When I dont use it and leave it on standby, it can go 2-3 days.

Last edited by iphonetoTorch; 01-03-2011 at 12:01 PM..
Old 01-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #14
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Maybe. Or maybe the battery really is defectice. Or maybe the OP is mistaken or confused (no offense intended).

If the carrier tells the OP to keep the battery and provides a replacement handset and the battery is the problem, the OP still has a problem.

If there is no problem and yet the carrier just exchanges the hamdset to make the OP happy, then OP may still think there is a problem and be back here telling how crappy the devices are as even the exchange handset has the exact same problem.

It's wise for the OP to get to the bottom of the issue as much as possible before talking to the carrier.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #15
samos
Thumbs Must Hurt

its not the battery. the dealer replaced it for me. but the battery drainage issue seems to persist even though the only programs running are the four normal ones (phone, messanger, browser and email.) it also loses some power even when the device is turned completely off overnight.

thanks everyone for your help
Old 01-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #16
iphonetoTorch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by samos View Post
its not the battery. the dealer replaced it for me. but the battery drainage issue seems to persist even though the only programs running are the four normal ones (phone, messanger, browser and email.) it also loses some power even when the device is turned completely off overnight.
Honestly, i would just go and exchange it now that it is still under warranty.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #17
Roadie29

I had this exact same problem and managed to rectify the problem by doing a JAVA wipe of the device, loaded OS v337 and all is good again. I changed the device twice and battery three times before I finally wiped the device and re-loaded the OS. Now I get 3 days of battery life with moderate use.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #18
samos
Thumbs Must Hurt

how do you do a java wipe and s it possible to mess it up?
and how do you reload the operating system? will this affect my warranty. (my torch is only a month or so old)
Old 01-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #19
Roadie29

can't mess up.. I never did it before and it worked perfectly. Make sure you back up your device first. Then follow the instructions as per the link below:

How-To Wipe with JL_Cmder - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

It's actually quite easy but just requires patience. You won't affect your warranty at all. My torch was 2 months old and I was told by Bell that I needed to send the device for warranty...2-6 weeks and rent another berry ...to me that was unacceptable. So go ahead and make sure you have the latest desktop manager software and a copy of the latest OS.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #20
Dubdub
Appleinator

Oh yes you can mess it up. You can brick it if you aren't careful. If you insist on doing an OS reload. Make sure that you follow our instruction exactly. Our forum is full of OS updates gone bad.

For Jl_cmdr, see our FAQ. For the OS, see the yellow sticky in the 9800 section. the instructions are also there.

However, I don't think this is really an OS issue.

-->>Twitter

Closed Thread