Old 02-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Finsta
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted

Hey , I currently have only the Gmail app installed for my email but I'm wondering how much of an impact on the battery does push email have? Currently, my battery can last anywhere from half a day to 2 days. I'd want to set up push email but it's not a necessary. Also, is there a way to seperate other messages from email in the Messages app?
Old 02-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
jrice8002003
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

i can't speak for all gmail app users on its features and affect on battery life, but i would be inclined to think that BIS is the ONLY way to get your email pushed to your blackberry...it's what it is meant for, and i would be shocked if there were any better option that had less of an impact on battery life.

i don't even use the "messages" folder. when you setup a BIS account, it will put an icon on your home screen that will be to your email. mine's a nice little yahoo! icon. for SMS/MMS, i use that icon to manage those messages. if you open up the SMS/MMS, click menu/options/general options, make sure the SMS and email inboxes are set to "separate."
Old 02-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

It would be really difficult to determine, IMHO, because battery life depends upon usage. Obvious the more phone calls you make and the longer you surf the web, the more battery you use. And as the above poster says, the BB is made for email so I guess that it is optimized for that.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finsta View Post
Hey , I currently have only the Gmail app installed for my email but I'm wondering how much of an impact on the battery does push email have? Currently, my battery can last anywhere from half a day to 2 days. I'd want to set up push email but it's not a necessary. Also, is there a way to seperate other messages from email in the Messages app?
Hard to say for certain but pretty minimal. I'm a heavy email user and my BB can make it a couple of days though I charge it nightly anyway.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I never really thought about it but it's hard to imagine using more battery just to monitor an email account than just having your BB turned on at all. I have three different email accounts including one Gmail and two private ones set up on my BB and still go three days using only half my battery. I'm inclined to think the WiFi is much more of a battery eater but I don't have that on an 8310.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

The Blackberry's implementation of push email is very efficient as far as battery use goes. Other solutions, like a stand-along GMail app, won't be as efficient. I've never seen another platform that gives instant push email like the BB and does so on such little power usage. My Treos were awful, both the Palm OS and Windows Mobile. Same with S60 on my Nokias.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I'm not on a BES or any corparate system and just used the BB's personal email setup wizard to add three of my pre-existing email accounts to my Curve. What I noticed was how my BB gets me email quicker than my computer at home. This mail well be do to the fact that I have Outlook set up to poll for my email only once every three minutes but still, I'm on RoadRunner with a 12MB/s download and I have never seen Outlook get the mail first. I have the same wav file playing on my BB and my computer when email comes in and it's interesting so see how quickly the BB picks it up.