Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #21
mrmartymac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

So, we all have dots... I know the dots are part of the sensing technology of any touch screen.

BUT... I also have dust. I have tried to blow it out with canned air.

I take very good care of the device. I have an InvisibleSheild on the screen.

In the photo I have attached you can see the dust. I assure you, this is UNDER the glass and on top of the display.

I am wondering if anyone has figured out a way to "clean" the dust out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6186_2.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	375.0 KB
ID:	14393  
Old 12-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #22
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I would send it in for warranty replacement, there should not be dust under the screen.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #23
WhiteRob1984
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee126 View Post
I have the same friggin problem...its so easy to notice a few specs. I figure with the wide ass rim around the screen, eventually it'll happen...like to all my Motorola's in the past...but damn! Its only been 2 weeks! Its only going to get worse I think.

Anyone notice their screen might dim to a 8 level sometimes while you are using it? then it bounces back to super 10 brightness? yikes!
That's because you have "Auto Dim" turned on, lol.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:50 AM   #24
PHLAK
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

So what's the consensus? I clearly have dust under my screen, should I get a replacement?

My BlackBerry Storm Wallpapers
Old 12-24-2008, 01:21 AM   #25
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLAK View Post
So what's the consensus? I clearly have dust under my screen, should I get a replacement?
I would if I were you.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:04 PM   #26
Vanderdo

Model: Storm

This is the answer!.. That is not actually dust on your screen. they are actually broken pieces of a LCD pixel. no like a dead pixel but a fragment of that pixel that is frozen. This happens when your LCD screen is exposed to very cold temperatures or very high heat, and sadly it cannot be fixed.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #27
koki
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: BIG RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderdo View Post
This is the answer!.. That is not actually dust on your screen. they are actually broken pieces of a LCD pixel. no like a dead pixel but a fragment of that pixel that is frozen. This happens when your LCD screen is exposed to very cold temperatures or very high heat, and sadly it cannot be fixed.
uuhhh....NO, its dust
Old 12-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #28
chasvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsp View Post
No ..its not them... I can see those, but these are differnt and there is only a handful and you can see it when viewing anything with white background
Are you sure it's not air bubbles under the factory installed screen protector? That's what I found on my Storm.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:07 PM   #29
WhiteRob1984

Shit, just noticed that I'm starting to get a bit of dust/fibers underneathe my screen too.

Oh well, my g/f works for Verizon and said that it's to be expected with a "floating screen".
Old 12-25-2008, 01:57 AM   #30
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRob1984 View Post
Shit, just noticed that I'm starting to get a bit of dust/fibers underneathe my screen too.

Oh well, my g/f works for Verizon and said that it's to be expected with a "floating screen".
Very possible, but shouldn't be expected.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #31
PHLAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderdo View Post
No, it's definitely dust.

My BlackBerry Storm Wallpapers
Old 12-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #32
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLAK View Post
No, it's definitely dust.
Crap...just noticed mine too...how can they get there.. This sucks...they are little black specks...

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 11:42 PM   #33
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

I got my fourth replacement storm on Tuesday, everything is perfect until the other night, I noticed one little spec under the screen, only shows up when I have a white background and looks different than a dead pixel. So far I have only noticed one, strange!
Old 12-30-2008, 12:09 AM   #34
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

This is just plain stupid, and I would have thought that RIM would notice something like this when they were testing the Storm. Mine is two days old, and I already have dust under the screen. I'm going to post a full review tomorrow .
Old 12-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #35
cdw5510
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

WOW. People, when you drive your car, do you have little nicks on the windshield from the highway. It is the same with the phone, you use it everyday in and out of pockets and you all need to expect that something will happen to it. DUST per say, scratches from careless useage.

At the end of the day it is a phone that you use. Every phone gets this dust in it. Get use to it.

Whoever got replacements when people were trying to order need to relax.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:16 AM   #36
matharris04

there's a huge issue with build quality with this phone because of the high demand, workers were pressed to increase their supply, so they rushed and subsequently shipped out sub-par phones...I'm on my third storm in 3 weeks, my first was perfect except for a small space between the screen and phone (there has to be enough space to click but not enough to allow dust in) and that lead to dust getting under the screen (Verizon, as they should, considers this product defect and will replace them(...then I started having irreparable software issues, my second the screen didn't click AT ALL rendering it useless, and the screen was always to the bluer side of the color spectrum, and my third is perfect, no space between screen and phone housing, great click, even throughout the entire screen, color is good...and I'm just waiting for that next official software update...my advice: you paid for a quality phone, so keep getting the replacements you deserve until you get what you paid for.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:34 PM   #37
MegaBit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw5510 View Post
WOW. People, when you drive your car, do you have little nicks on the windshield from the highway. It is the same with the phone, you use it everyday in and out of pockets and you all need to expect that something will happen to it. DUST per say, scratches from careless useage.

At the end of the day it is a phone that you use. Every phone gets this dust in it. Get use to it.

Whoever got replacements when people were trying to order need to relax.
Not really- scratches on the case from normal use, sure. Dust under the battery door, sure. Dust in the USB or headphone ports, sure. But dust in between the LCD and the touch screen - I don't think so. Reason: you can't clean it as you should from normal use.

We're talking about dust particles big enough to look like dead pixels, or in my case, large enough to obscure small text characters. After only 3 weeks of careful use I have way too much dust to know that in 12 months it will be like looking through a frosted window. That's not normal and that's not the way RIM designed it. Rather, its the incorrect way it was assembled during manufacture.

BTW, I have that dust even though I keep the device in a RIM sleeve/pouch case whenever it's in a pocket.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:31 PM   #38
slugzkea

Carrier: Protection Services Officer

There is NO excuse for releasing half-assed built storms because of high demand. RIM is risking their reputation of build quality and overall cell phone for business/enterprise quality and respect.

I am very pushy with my technology. I don't buy cheap crap. HTC is cheap crap. RIM is not cheap crap.

If you're experiencing deffeciencies, return for a replacement and demand one that isn't defective. Let them be aware that if they keep sending you defective replacements, you will post reviews and warnings on forums and tech guides.

They will not want that, and they will comply.

Works every time for me!

Now let me check to see if I have this dust problem too...
Old 12-31-2008, 10:03 PM   #39
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

I agree, there should be no dust at all. RIM is known for this though. Same problem with the first generation 8300 series, and the Pearl.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:12 PM   #40
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Mine is a couple of days old, and there is dust, so to whoever said deal with it, lol....not the answer a lot of people are looking for! Anyway this is just one gripe I have to go along with a couple of others. My full review will be up tomorrow after a swell night of drinkin on new years . Happy 2009 to all my fellow Blackberry users.....
Closed Thread