BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 04:21 AM   #1
numbah

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Gmail on LogicMail 0.4, Pearl 8120 w/o data plan - help!

Please Login to Remove!

To more experienced Blackberry users..

I just received my brand new T-Mobile 8120 yesterday. I am trying to run LogicMail 0.4.0 on my Pearl (v4.3.0.115). Currently, I am not subscribed to either the Blackberry e-mail or data plan (med school costs too much!).

In order to set-up LogicMail for wifi-only use, this is what I've done thus far..

- Enabled IMAP support in my gmail accounts
- In Advanced Options, TCP, I have entered wap.voicestream.com for APN (leaving username and password blank)
- Used BB Browser to download OTA version of LogicMail 0.4.0
- In Global Settings, changed "WiFi mode" to Always
- Saved my full name and [email address] as my "E-Mail address"

I set up "Accounts" & "Outgoing servers" based on this site's information:
Configuring other mail clients

- IMAP protocol with server imap.gmail.com:143;DeviceSide=True;ConnectionUID=S TCP-WiFi;ConnectionSetup=delayed;retrynocontext=true
- SSL checked, port 993
- Username & password entered (have tried both xxxx & [email address] for username input)
- "Use MDS proxy" checked
- Identity default
- "Outgoing server" xxxx (SMTP)
- "Sent message folder: <None>"
- Folder prefix: (blank)

- Outgoing SMTP with server smtp.gmail.com:465;DeviceSide=True;ConnectionUID=S TCP-WiFi;ConnectionSetup=delayed;retrynocontext=true
- SSL checked, port 465
- Authentication "LOGIN"
- Username & password entered (have tried both xxxx & [email address] for username input)
- "Use MDS proxy" checked

When I select my newly established IMAP account, I am greeted with "No folders" and the following pop-up:
"The application LogicMail has attempted to access imap.gmail.com. Would you like to allow this?"
Of course I click yes!

Then, "Connecting to server" will show up and seemingly freeze. I think I catch a brief "Reconnecting" message every once in a while before "Connecting to server" to server shows up again. After 3-5 min, "Unable to reopen connection" appears.

What's going on?! I hope someone who has configured Gmail for LogicMail wifi access can shed some light on what this newbie is doing wrong. I have tried with "Use MDS proxy" both checked and unchecked in the IMAP protocol and outgoing SMTP settings. Nothing seems to work. The software itself seems majorly buggy because parts of pop-up messages will disappear sometimes when "Connecting to server" is in progress. Sometimes, the text between different pop-up screens will overlap. Do I need to uninstall and re-install LogicMail? How do I even go about doing that?

I have no idea what's wrong. I have tried on both wifi UMA & normal mobile network plus wifi. Both ways produce the same error as written above. Please help!!
Old 05-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
tranquilo

Model: 8130
Carrier: Alltel

Wirelessly posted

The software, as you've noted, is just buggy as all get out. I've tried this and a couple other mail clients on the BlackBerry witout success...they just don't work (in my experience anyway).
Old 05-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
KoubaK

Model: 8220
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I had the same problem, I had my buddy explain how he got it to work on his and this is what he told me
after setting up the TCP go to:
Options > Advance Options > Host Routing Tables, there you need to register to one of the servers.. if that doesnt work idk then!
Old 05-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
numbah

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile

Gah.. refreshing HRT didn't work.

It looks like we're 0/3 here. Is there anyone who has gotten LogicMail to work with Gmail on wifi only without a data plan?

Tranquilo, you mentioned a couple of other applications for this purpose. What were they and how were those experiences?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:09 AM   #5
wrknhard
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: telus

Make that 0 for 4. I installed logicmail on my BB 8830 with os 4.5 and it was a no go. (came up with a "no folder" screen). I'm not using the gmail mobile app mail (mail for google application) because of the frustrating java lang errors.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:29 AM   #6
doggie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8230
Carrier: T Mobile

Why don't you just use the GMail client?
Closed Thread