Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #21
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

MasterTee!! Thank you for that post. Now my suspicions are confirmed!

The height of my problems with my current Storm occurred last saturday night. I worked a special outdoor event for NFL executives. It was about 32 degrees outdoors and my screen was doing the same thing. I desparately needed my phone and did well over 10 battery pulls. When I entered one of the heated tents and placed my Storm near one of the vents, the screen sensitivity returned but still remained unresponsive at the fringes. Now that its warmer the phone is running great. However I still have a new one on the way and I am not going to turn it down.

So the Storm definitely does not like the cold. My same experience began occurring around the mid 30's. What about you?

Verizon 9530
Old 02-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #22
Masterteee89
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
MasterTee!! Thank you for that post. Now my suspicions are confirmed!

The height of my problems with my current Storm occurred last saturday night. I worked a special outdoor event for NFL executives. It was about 32 degrees outdoors and my screen was doing the same thing. I desparately needed my phone and did well over 10 battery pulls. When I entered one of the heated tents and placed my Storm near one of the vents, the screen sensitivity returned but still remained unresponsive at the fringes. Now that its warmer the phone is running great. However I still have a new one on the way and I am not going to turn it down.

So the Storm definitely does not like the cold. My same experience began occurring around the mid 30's. What about you?
Well its kinda hard to explain i suppose.. but i work in a warehouse where temps rang from 45 to -15!! But what happens to my Storm is my screen still has full response just no click.. Feels like its glued down. Even when i leave it in my truck with outside temps being in the 30's maybe low 20's it does the same thing. I was freaked out at first... Came home took those two screws out that adjust the screen, air dusted it, put them back in and worked great again.. So now once it reaches about room temp its fine again! WEIRD if you ask me! But im glad im not the only one with this issue..!!

Last edited by Masterteee89; 02-04-2009 at 10:44 AM..
Old 02-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #23
Baundy06

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A

I hate you guys.

All of this talk of dust under the screen got me to notice a few specs under my screen last night when I was putting on a new screen cover. Ignorance was bliss. :[
Old 02-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #24
Masterteee89
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baundy06 View Post
I hate you guys.

All of this talk of dust under the screen got me to notice a few specs under my screen last night when I was putting on a new screen cover. Ignorance was bliss. :[
...Sorry... haha It doesn't bother me that much.. It used to on my curve but im used to it by now.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #25
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Mastertee,

my guess is the metal plate in the phone. The cold must affect it and cause this problem. What is worse is that metal tends to sweat moisture when it warms up again. Moisture is not good for electronics....

Verizon 9530
Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #26
Masterteee89
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Mastertee,

my guess is the metal plate in the phone. The cold must affect it and cause this problem. What is worse is that metal tends to sweat moisture when it warms up again. Moisture is not good for electronics....
That could be the answer.. But my screen clicks amazingly though even after it freezes...
Old 02-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #27
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

It's a little different for me. My screen still physically clicks. There is simply NO response to thumbing. The physical keys still affect operation (power off, back, BB button, call button). There is simply no response to thumbing until the phone warms up.

Verizon 9530
Old 02-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #28
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Storm #6 just arrived and she is Canadian ... Looks Brand New from RIM not a Refurb.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #29
delacombo

Model: 8130

I haven't had any issues with mine really. My frustrations calmed down each day that went by, as I found I just needed to get used to it over the traditional Pearl, etc. I love my Storm, even though I can think of reasons why I'm sure it's not perfect yet, It's too close to give up on it. What did it for me was when I finally got to playing around and found a movie preview under Videos. It looked like it was in HD. Now I'm hooked on it merely for the screen quality. Oh, and I love dragging...

Wait. I forgot that I am waiting for an update. In auto-on/off mode, it turns off the Mobile Connection and I missed calls until I figured that out. Verizon says it'll be addressed. Oh, wait, and it stays in Vibrate mode when I take out of holster, even though it was in Normal mode. But not huge deals if there may be an update.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #30
adorkable
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Ask.

You guys are making me nervous. So far, mine has been perfect.

Last edited by adorkable; 02-04-2009 at 03:34 PM..
Old 02-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #31
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

J, is your Canadian Storm noticeably lighter?

I handled a lighter Storm at the VZW store and was told it was Canadian. How can you tell if its a Canadian model?

Verizon 9530
Old 02-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #32
searly
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Mine...

Have had mine since black friday... no issues other than the normal screen stuff (did the torx screw adjustment). I have used every beta that has surfaced as well (currently on .99 and loving it) I do, however, have a ton of dust under my screen. It is just now starting to bother me as I am outside more these days on a couple of projects. It is way more noticeable when I am outside. I may go in and see about an exchange. I am just so damn scared I will get a lemon... hmmm.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #33
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

If you get a lemon, just make another warranty exchange!

New is always better. It's like the reset button!

Verizon 9530
Old 02-05-2009, 12:43 AM   #34
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb

On my second. First was from first production and was buggy. Second was made after 12/22 and is great. Running .99 with lots of 3rd party apps and essentially no problems. Did pull the SIM card a long time ago which certainly helped things. As no plans to travel out of the country for the moment, don't need it. Only reboots are when software is installed or removed. 73
Old 02-05-2009, 01:22 AM   #35
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Quote:
J, is your Canadian Storm noticeably lighter?

I handled a lighter Storm at the VZW store and was told it was Canadian. How can you tell if its a Canadian model?
Remove your battery and look at the sticker, it say's where it is made, and no my Canadian storm isn't lighter. Comparing the two side by side, I did notice that some of the materials used in the manufacturing seemed a tad different in shade "color of antenna wire", however they are built identical. I will tell you though that this Canadian unit has the exact same screen as my last mexican unit.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #36
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by searly View Post
Have had mine since black friday... no issues other than the normal screen stuff (did the torx screw adjustment). I have used every beta that has surfaced as well (currently on .99 and loving it) I do, however, have a ton of dust under my screen. It is just now starting to bother me as I am outside more these days on a couple of projects. It is way more noticeable when I am outside. I may go in and see about an exchange. I am just so damn scared I will get a lemon... hmmm.
I know the feeling .. I don't like the way the screen feels on #6 when typing vs #5 ... #5 had the best click screen yet, and less Y Axis Movement. Oh well, this one seems to work just fine and be dust free. Oh, make sure you downgrade your OS prior to handing your device for inspection, my Verizon CSR did quickly pull up the About Page seemingly to inspect the software version, however I played dumb and it happened very fast.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #37
marjama
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I've had mine since christmas with no problems besides, like searly said, the dust under the screen.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #38
gtiger

Model: 9500
Carrier: AT&T

i dont why all these people are replacing their storms 6 or 7 times. i've had mine for a while, i got the GSM Vodafone version and use it on AT&T network, i have had no problems with it at all. i think its a great device. i am one of those people who went to the iphone, gave it up in 2 months and went back to a blackberry. replaced a curve with a storm and i'm nor disappointed with my decision.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #39
Sailmaker101

NO PROBLEMO...
Got my Storm on the 1st day it was launched in the US. Have not had any problems YET! Currently have OS 4.7.0.99...phone is working quite well thank you very much!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #40
rwilliamtaylor

Model: 8830

Got one on the day it was released. No problems with the phone, just some issues with BIS. My daughter also has one that gets treated like a typical 16 year old's cell phone... no problems there either.

I wonder if the problem is related to only a certain set of serial numbers?
Closed Thread