BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
MauiGage

Model: 8100
Default Pearl 8100 and PowerBook G4 Sync Problem

Please Login to Remove!

I've had my BB Pearl 8100 for a month and have tried everything, including paying for support with PocketMac and still unable to sync. I have all the latest versions of support, from OSX to PocketMac. Finally PocketMac sent me a new driver and still the device (8100) is not found when I launch Sync Manager. I haven't heard back from them since.

Any solutions would be appreciated.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
edlazarus

Model: Curve
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Pocket Mac still doesn't work

You are unlikely to hear back from RIM unless you call them, which, if you do, won't help because they still don't have the software working. I tested the new beta release of PocketMac's revision to solve the problems (came out Monday, Dec 11) and it still doesn't work. Worse still, the problems are not just with Pearl. If you upgraded to version 4 of PocketMac, you have software that likely doesn't work with an older blackberry (7105t in my case) that used to sync just fine. I know they are working on it, but this is a mess. Enough to cause me to return my Pearl (I'm still in the window) and get a Treo from Sprint.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
wclyffe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiGage
I've had my BB Pearl 8100 for a month and have tried everything, including paying for support with PocketMac and still unable to sync. I have all the latest versions of support, from OSX to PocketMac. Finally PocketMac sent me a new driver and still the device (8100) is not found when I launch Sync Manager. I haven't heard back from them since.

You can definitely get your Pearl to sync with the G4. I would recommend you search the Pinstack.com site under the Mac users group. Many people have solved the syncing issue. From what I glanced at....it is important to plug and replug the Pearl into your Mac to get the Mac to recognize its there. Also, you need to make sure that all the Preferences in PM4 are set to begin with. Are you synching with iCal and Addressbook?
Old 12-16-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
wclyffe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Arrow

Here's a post I found for you:

open pocketmac, then connect your bb to your mac. the pearl screen should display "connected to desktop" with a little cartoon image, either before or as soon as you click the pocketmac "sync" button.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
jeffmcclan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiGage

My experience has been that PM 4.0 does not work with the 8100. If RIM releases future code that actually works and hopefully has been tested, I will try it again. (I wil ensure that I backup Addressbook, Calendar and Entourage before trying given the devastating effects that 4.0 had on data.)
Old 12-27-2006, 03:04 PM   #6
aburamu
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Telcel
Default Disappointed

I ended up using a virtual machine on Parallels to sync. My 7100 used to work fine with PM 4. 8100 just won´t. It keeps up messing tasks with calendar events.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:47 AM   #7
griffjnr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800f
Carrier: Orange UK

I just upgraded from an 8700 to a Pearl and I can't get it to work on either my intel mac or my G4 Powerbook. The 8700 syncs just fine. I have tried some of the suggestions in this thread but nothing has worked yet. PM is beginning to get on my nerves.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:36 AM   #8
griffjnr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800f
Carrier: Orange UK

Just managed to get the pearl to sync. I half pulled the usb out during the sync and then put it back into the phone and this started the "connected to the computer" screen again and the sync went through. Thank God I didn't have to transfer my contacts by hand.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:30 AM   #9
aburamu
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Telcel

Did your calendar and tasks sync well?
Old 01-02-2007, 09:31 AM   #10
wclyffe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffjnr
Just managed to get the pearl to sync. I half pulled the usb out during the sync and then put it back into the phone and this started the "connected to the computer" screen again and the sync went through. Thank God I didn't have to transfer my contacts by hand.
You should post the specifics of what you did to get the sync to work on your Pearl, as many users still believe it does not work at all. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #11
wclyffe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Arrow

Here's a post I found.....

1) T Mobile Pearl with the newer .64 os
2) Powerbook G4 - OS 10.4.8
3) PocketMac Syncmanager version 1.0.8

I have no trouble connecting to the Pearl. The Pearl seems to like the USB port on the left side of the computer, sometimes on the right port I get the power error.
Seems to work best in this order:
install pocket mac prior and click though what you want to sync first.
1) Connect the cable to the computer Left side usb port.
2) Connect the cable to the Pearl (I have a 1GB SD card so phone mounts as a disk drive at this point) I enabled mass storage in the the preferences of the phone.
3) Open Pocket mac (if you see connecting to the desktop on the phone you are good)
4) Hit sync but don't bother with safari bookmarks because it does not seem to work. I sucessfully use entourage address book, entourage tasks and I-cal.

One other note is that my user account on the mac is the administator account. I did see some of these errors everyone else is seeing at first but the seemed to go away for me. I reinstalled the software once and used the noted connection order.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:28 PM   #12
pete68

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

Looks like it now works again.

Last edited by pete68; 01-06-2007 at 05:38 PM..
Closed Thread