BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
masonfoley
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Initial Impressions - small caveat to otherwise astounding phone...

Please Login to Remove!

Display / resolution: In a word...gorgeous. The display is everything the pundits said it would be. I have noticed when using the big navigation keys that there is a slight LCD fluid effect as you press down on those buttons. But I have to be looking for it to notice it. I at first thought perhaps the background might have an animated effect. hehe

Form factor - It's a bit thinner than the 8700g (T-Mobile) that I'm coming from. So all of that muscle memory and subtle leverage that I learned on the 8700g will have to adjust a bit. The keyboard, more than makes up for it. Soft but tactile feel.

Features - loaded of course. Again, coming from an 8700g, the leap is considerable. GPS, camera, 3G, WiFi, plenty of core apps. Very impressed with it so far.

Trackball - meh...I suppose I could get used to it. All I've ever known is the scrollwheel so some new habits are to be learned here.

All around, fantastic phone.

But here's the thing I'm a bit worried about. As the AT&T rep was provisioning the phone, I noticed she struggled a bit to get the back cover off. This is unfortunate as there is a spring loaded release where it should have been easy. I didn't think much of it at the time, choosing to remain quiet and answer her questions succinctly as I wasn't in the mood for pitches, accessories, blah blah. Well, when I finally put it in my hands, the back cover feels ever so slightly loose. It's got a miniscule, but noticeable give. I can feel this a bit as my fingers are on the underside as I depress the keys on the front to type. I'm thinking she might have worked the cover loose just a bit as she was working to get the cover off but I wanted to check here first if everyone who has a Bold has noticed this on their units or would you definitely say, "Take it back, there shouldn't be ANY give at all on the back cover. It should be snug and tight."

It seems to me that a $400 phone shouldn't feel that cheap. If this is par for the course for this phone, I'll begrudgingly deal with it and was thinking would a skin take care of this? (i.e. an Innoskin)?

Thoughts?

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. No Nation could preserve it's freedom in the midst of continual warfare." -- James Madison.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Some people have reported the same issue. Exchange it if it is bad, otherwise tuck some paper or a business card between the battery and the door to make it snug.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

The rep had a hell of a time getting the battery cover off of mine as well. Fortunately it is still quite snug when you put it back on. However, there are two little openings on the side towards the top which are believe are for the speakers. When the cover is removed there is a little filmy screen that is underneath. On one side the film is all pulled off and messed up. I think the rep jammed his finger in there to get the cover off. Probably not a big deal - sounds fine. Plus I already installed my best skins ever screen protector so don't think I'm bringing it back for that.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
merrion13

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Funny you say that, my coworker just came into my office showing a decent sized gap between the back cover and the phone; his back cover comes right off, but I don't have this issue with mine.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
masonfoley

Thanks for the tip. I took a business card, folded in half, and placed it between the battery and the cover. Seems to have helped quite a bit. I'm hoping the skin I ordered will give it a better feel.

Still can't get over what a work of art this phone is. I haven't put it down since I bought it yesterday, giddy geek that I am.

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. No Nation could preserve it's freedom in the midst of continual warfare." -- James Madison.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
JG in SB

Model: 9800

No LCD fluid effect on mine as far as I can tell. After reading your post, I pressed pretty hard to check it out and I can't replicate it. May be unique to your unit.

I too am impressed at the build quality of this phone, and the unbeleivable display. It makes it a pure pleasure to use. I am certain that like the 8800 that preceded it, I will be happily using this BB for at least 2 years.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
masonfoley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG in SB View Post
No LCD fluid effect on mine as far as I can tell. After reading your post, I pressed pretty hard to check it out and I can't replicate it. May be unique to your unit.

I too am impressed at the build quality of this phone, and the unbeleivable display. It makes it a pure pleasure to use. I am certain that like the 8800 that preceded it, I will be happily using this BB for at least 2 years.
I only noticed it when the background was "blue" (part of the default theme on some screens). Although I can't seem to "reproduce" this effect any longer or I'm not sure which screen I was on when I thought I saw it. It certainly isn't a con, perhaps a one off quirk or a figment of my imagination.

Closed Thread