Old 05-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
Lactobacillus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Q20
PIN: N/A
Carrier: BT
Default BBC News, LinkedIn, WhatsApp on BB10

Please Login to Remove!

Since BB10 was deprecated there have been many posts asking how to get various apps working, and a lot of incorrect responses about needing to replace the device.

I am using the current versions of BBC News, LinkedIn, WhatsApp on my BlackBerry Classic.

First install Google PlayStore on your BB10, and then install the latest version of your preferred apps. PlayStore apps might not have been tested on BB10 devices but many still work.

The Blackberry Guardian service no longer works so stick to the publishers you know and trust.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:51 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: BBC News, LinkedIn, WhatsApp on BB10

How about a step by step to install Google PlayStore. Last time I tried on my Z30 it didn't work. No Snap, and no Google PlayStore. If you have a way to install and make it work I'm all ears.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:41 AM   #3
Lactobacillus
Thumbs Must Hurt

PlayStore has built-in search. What is the purpose of Snap?

I was reluctant to share details of how I did it, because sharing details on Crackberry resulted in an instant deletion and me being banned for life. Crackberry is endorsed by Blackberry and the two might be tied at the waste in ways we do not know about.

When you google playstoreblackberry you see a domain dedicated to the installation process.

I followed the guide step-by-step, exactly as they described it. Extra information:

1. If you get a Java.IO.Exception just redo that step until it completes without an error.
2. If the screen blanks out just wait.

It would certainly be worth cloning the steps and files somewhere as the owner of the site will not continue paying for hosting when the information is unprofitable (currently donations are asked for). They might also get taken-down by Blackberry.

Last edited by Lactobacillus; 05-20-2018 at 05:11 AM..
Old 05-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Sounds nice but google checks the device first before any downloading is allowed. you cannot even register a device that is below the OS android level they want.

I tried to use the playstoreblackberry and although it will allow some apps to download, none of the newer ones did. it stated I did not have the phone required..

I have tried many methods and so far none have been able to bypass their checking.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
Lactobacillus
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am using BBOS 10.3.3.3

If you cannot use the same BBOS, can you modify the settings to spoof a newer OS and force the install, perhaps by editing the GiD (Blackberry Google ID) before installing it?

Some successful app installs did not work (i.e. Chrome, FireFox). These apps did start, and they displayed their current start page content, but were then unable to connect to the websites of my choice much like a DNS failure. I should have tried an IP address to confirm that hypothesis. Either way these apps might require extra Google network settings not included with the current playstoreblackberry files.

Obviously if the app needs a specific library that your device does not have, then that app will not launch. The same applies to any other Android device. Expiring Android apps is not a BB specific problem, as reflected by feedback on Google forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 complaint from owner of a HTC One (a 2013 device)
All google apps are not working. Youtube, google play store, google ++ and all games that uses google games.The apps just crash without showing any error message.
I would start by trying the latest OS for any device because that should give you newer libraries. If that does not work you might try downloading the app to your PC and inspecting its dynamic linking to see which libraries it depends on. That kind of investigation might lead to a fix, or it might only confirm that your OS is too old.

Last edited by Lactobacillus; 05-20-2018 at 03:09 PM..
Old 05-21-2018, 07:34 AM   #6
dTech
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Class
Carrier: None

BlackBerry will kill its app store at the end of 2019, support BB10 for ‘at least two’ more years
Old 05-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #7
Lactobacillus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dTech View Post
BlackBerry will kill its app store at the end of 2019, support BB10 for at least two more years
In some respects BlackBerry killed its app store when it launched BBOS10 because they did not court app developers. The BBC News app for BBOS10 is a URL shortcut. BB also directed their users to the Amazon Store, which is itself no leader. Clearly BB had no intention of competing on apps.

What apps have you installed from BlackBerry store?

Last edited by Lactobacillus; 05-21-2018 at 05:08 PM..
Old 05-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Correction. They DID court app developers. With a robust two OS environment, and minuscule sales, BB10 (and Blackberry hardware) failed because it was too little, too late.

You can't change history.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:48 PM   #9
tsac
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Correction. They DID court app developers. With a robust two OS environment, and minuscule sales, BB10 (and Blackberry hardware) failed because it was too little, too late.

Way too late!!!
Old 05-22-2018, 04:16 PM   #10
Lactobacillus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

I will not disclose details but you can buy my software online (for non-BB platforms).

BlackBerry alienated developers by having 3 different runtime choices, multiple languages, and complete lack of transparency. They support Android so should delete all else and focus on that, with energy because Microsoft is coming that way too!

Developers do not have unlimited resource (i.e. time). They have a product idea. They will quickly compare the market options and select the solutions that give them the best return on investment. Not all developers will arrive at the same answer. To court some developers BlackBerry simply has to make it possible for those developers to arrive at an answer.

It's a ratio: number of customers / time to market.

For a developer to make an assessment they need to know number of active customers. BlackBerry saying "Several million devices in the market" split over "variety of runtimes" is completely opaque. A simple chart showing number of devices per platform would have sufficed, but based on the information presented we can only arrive at zero.

Time to market is reduced by having robust DevOps, comprehensive API, and complete documentation. Time to market is increased by having more than one platform! "Variety of development languages" is again opaque and off-putting. I can write in any language, but BlackBerry has made my decision difficult by requiring me to compare their API support in Java, JavaScript, C++ etc. I don't have time for that! A simple expandable tree outlining the BlackBerry API support is what I wanted to see.

Current score: 0 / infinity.

BlackBerry published a "developer" website to show to shareholders, not to encourage developers! At the same time BlackBerry made the decision for millions of developers by hiding the important information and wasting their time.

BlackBerry does not need a lot of active users because each developer has different strengths. What they need to do is make it clear how many users there are, and how much effort is needed to put a product in front of those users. Developers will come if developers think they can slot into a market slightly bigger than -infinity.

Currently BB offer a buggy plugin for Android developers, and bugs mean unknown delays for developers. If BlackBerry made a robust Android IDE that worked with other Android phones then they would have developers lining up, and if the BlackBerry API reduced time to market then they would have developers uploading to the BB store first. Porter's five forces is simple to understand.

Will Apple do that? No.
Will Google do that? No.
Will Microsoft do that? Maybe.
Will Amazon do that? Maybe.
Will BlackBerry do that? Probably not.

Last edited by Lactobacillus; 05-22-2018 at 05:53 PM..
Old 05-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

TL;DR You are living in the past. Enjoy your Q20. The rest of the world moved on long ago.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #12
tsac
BlackBerry God

From Wikipedia !!

"Lactobacillus is a genus of Gram-positive, facultative anaerobic or microaerophilic, rod-shaped, non-spore-forming bacteria.[1] They are a major part of the lactic acid bacteria group (i.e. they convert sugars to lactic acid). "

They also convert articles to posts!
Old 05-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #13
Lactobacillus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
You are living in the past. Enjoy your Q20. The rest of the world moved on long ago.
I am talking about Android development. Where exactly do you think the rest of the world has moved on to?

Android is a platform (correction: ecosystem) that is waiting to be hijacked by great development APIs. Google has played all of its cards and it has failed to secure a lock. Samsung, Microsoft, Blackberry etc. are all just as likely to steal that ecosystem... or it could be an entirely new company.

The current big Internet players (Google etc.) will transform entirely or disappear in the next software generation because their current business models are based on old principles that no longer have wide social support. We currently send our private data to a server that does a lot of number crunching and returns results to our devices. Tsac complains about this model all the time. The current big players (Google etc.) make money from that data. Users don't really like sharing their data, its expensive use of bandwidth, and it requires massive data centres that burn gigawatts of energy. Well that is a big problem for the current big players because there is already a viable alternative:

In the very near future, your data will remain on your device! Your data will remain private and you will use less bandwidth. Doesn't that sound good? In this new model your devices will download algorithms (from new market leaders) and execute those algorithms against your private data, sending back only the result for validation. Old-style companies that relied on your private data (i.e. Google, Facebook, etc.) will have a lot of inefficient infrastructure with no demand, and no income to support it. I am not saying they will go bust, but they will need to change inside out to survive.

The old companies most likely to capitalise on the inevitable change will be those that are strong in IoT and not overly dependent on data centres.

@tsac, Lactobacillus multiplies by cell-division, and it also eats spam!

Last edited by Lactobacillus; 05-24-2018 at 04:41 PM..
Old 05-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #14
Lactobacillus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
... and you would be pleasantly surprised to learn what Lactobacillus can do for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac
They also convert articles to posts!
... wasn't it more like converting a post into an article?

Last edited by Lactobacillus; 05-24-2018 at 05:14 PM..
Old 05-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #15
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Wow.
They also copy from Wikipedia, but that's in another thread.
Useless post.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #16
tsac
BlackBerry God

I did notice the missing details on how to add apps as requested by John C
Must be the virus eating the information.
Closed Thread