Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 12:45 AM   #1
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel
Default Gmail Spam on BIS 2.0

Please Login to Remove!

Immediately after I upgraded to Blackberry Internet Service 2.0, I started to receive spam. I have Gmail set to forward all my emails to my BB 7520 but after the upgrade, I had received occasional spam-mail.

After poking around on my Gmail's spambox, I recognized some of the spam-mail to be the ones that made it onto my handheld! How is that possible? Prior to BIS 2.0, I would only receive mail from my inbox. Despite the 20 or so spam-mail I receive daily on my Gmail account, only 1 or 2 would get into my handheld. Has anyone had this problem? It is so annoying to be awakened in the middle of the night with this when you are on call.

It's been months since I last checked the boards here but I seek the community's wisdom again. The forum searches came up empty to my specific problem. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:52 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee309
Immediately after I upgraded to Blackberry Internet Service 2.0, I started to receive spam. I have Gmail set to forward all my emails to my BB 7520 but after the upgrade, I had received occasional spam-mail.

After poking around on my Gmail's spambox, I recognized some of the spam-mail to be the ones that made it onto my handheld! How is that possible? Prior to BIS 2.0, I would only receive mail from my inbox. Despite the 20 or so spam-mail I receive daily on my Gmail account, only 1 or 2 would get into my handheld. Has anyone had this problem? It is so annoying to be awakened in the middle of the night with this when you are on call.

It's been months since I last checked the boards here but I seek the community's wisdom again. The forum searches came up empty to my specific problem. Thanks.
Are you sure it's spam from GMail? Do you have a .blackberry address? Recently there's been a big problem with spam to the .tmo.blackberry and .mycingular.blackberry addresses. There are several long threads about it. It's been quite a problem. If it is, indeed, spam to your gmail you may need better filters for gmail. If it's spam to a .blackberry address there are some filters that need to be set on the BIS.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:48 AM   #3
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

During my forum search, it seems that many people are having this problem with their '.blackberry accounts'. If I were to delete my email, where will I have Gmail forward my mail to? And that is also assuming that I am getting spam on my '.blackberry' account which is not the case. I'll try deleting my email though but before I do, does anyone know how I will be able to forward my Gmail into my handheld?
Old 12-01-2006, 01:52 AM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee309
During my forum search, it seems that many people are having this problem with their '.blackberry accounts'. If I were to delete my email, where will I have Gmail forward my mail to? And that is also assuming that I am getting spam on my '.blackberry' account which is not the case. I'll try deleting my email though but before I do, does anyone know how I will be able to forward my Gmail into my handheld?
Just set up the BIS to poll your GMail account. Go to "setup internet email" on your BB. Just follow the prompts to add your GMail account. The nice thing about this setup is that when you delete on the handheld you have the option of deleting out of your GMail mailbox online as well. Also, you'll be able to send email from your BB using your GMail address.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
Just set up the BIS to poll your GMail account. Go to "setup internet email" on your BB. Just follow the prompts to add your GMail account. The nice thing about this setup is that when you delete on the handheld you have the option of deleting out of your GMail mailbox online as well. Also, you'll be able to send email from your BB using your GMail address.
That's some good info. Thanks!