Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
PaulQ
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Question Multiple Calendars (again) - Desktop v Device Default

Please Login to Remove!

I am having the same problem that I have read about in other posts in various flavors. Most of the discussion surrounds BIS but I am on BES. I have three calendars showing: Device Default, Desktop, and my tmo.blackberry.

No matter which I pick using the SELECT CALENDAR option, it always reverts back to "Show All Calendars." Several of my appointments appear twice.

What I am confused about right now is what is the difference between "Device Default" and "Desktop" when my default is set to "Desktop."

** "Device Default" has 89 appointments and says NO to wireless sync.
** "Desktop" has 8 appointments and says YES to wireless sync.

Somehow, almost all of my appointments go to that default calendar despite it being set not to wirelessly sync. I don't mind if it does but I don't get it. This is very confusing!

Ideally, I want to get down to ONE calendar because I only use one email address. The instructions on other posts say to "just resync it" -- is that automatic with BES? I just pull the battery, replace and it will do it?

Sorry for the messy post. Looking for any help. Thanks!

Oh - I have a Tmo 8320 with 4.5

<><><><><><><><><><><><> Life after Pearl is Curved... then there's a STORM!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
glenng

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T & Sprint

Wirelessly posted

I feel ur pain, ihav e the same issues
Old 09-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
wu-wei

Model: 9700
PIN: A GADDA DA VIDA
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I was able to get rid of the issue by deleting everything in the Default Device calendar. Make sure you have copies somewhere, so you don't lose your stuff. And make sure you've got the right calendar set as default in Options > Advanced Options > Default Services.

HTH.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
wu-wei

Wirelessly posted (8800)

There's a KB on this that I found. I'll have to find the number.

Basically, you run a backup with DM, delete all CICAL service books except one (I'd leave Desktop for BES), do a battery pull, then restore the Calendar with DM.

The KB says you'll have to do this every time you end up with unwanted CICAL service books.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
StuartV

I have the same problem as the OP. I tried doing the "delete all CICAL service books" deal, but there's no service book for the "Device Default" calendar.

So, how do I delete everything in the Device Default calendar? There's hundreds of appointments in there and they all appear to be duplicates of the ones in my Desktop calendar?
Verizon 9550
Old 10-24-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
dramineh

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Turn off Wireless Sync for your calendars, if you have multiple calendars, turn them all off. I have one email account on a BES and one on BIS, so I have three calendars, desktop and the two emails.

After you turn them off, us DM\backup & restore\advanced. Go to calendars on the right and clear it. This will remove all events from your BB.

What I am having problems with is the my BES email/Calendar will not allow wireless sync to be on. I can only set the desktop calendar to be wireless sync. What I want is the calendar in my laptop (outlook) to be the my email account and be wireless and to work.

New owner of a 8330.

Last edited by dramineh; 10-24-2008 at 09:47 AM..
Old 10-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
StuartV

I turned off Wireless Sync for all (2 - Desktop and Device Default) of my calendars (wireless sync for Device Default was off already). When I go into Desktop Manager, Backup/Restore, Advanced, it still shows all the choices that start with Calendar as greyed out. When I exit DM and check the Calendar options on my phone, Wireless Sync has been turned back on for Desktop.

I'm guessing this is because I am activated on a BES, maybe?

Regardless, I still don't see any way to delete all the entries on my Device Default calendar.
Verizon 9550
Old 10-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
wu-wei

This is from KB13149 ("Unable to synchronize calendar with duplicate entries from a BlackBerry Internet Service integration").

Of particular interest is the Workaround offered at the bottom of the post.

================================

Problem

The presence of multiple BlackBerry Internet Service [CICAL] service books can lead to duplicate calendar entries if an appointment in the non-default calendar is modified. These duplicate calendar entries will prevent a wired synchronization with BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Cause

Cause 1

The first BlackBerry Internet Service [CICAL] service book sent inherits the appointments from the base system calendar (calendar appointments which were created before any calendar service books were sent to the BlackBerry smartphone). The last BlackBerry Internet Service [CICAL] service book sent to the BlackBerry smartphone is the default calendar.

Note:

* This issue does not affect BlackBerry smartphone users that are associated with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server or only have one email account integrated with the BlackBerry Internet Service.
* Appointments created before the last BlackBerry Internet Service [CICAL] service book was sent will be affected.
* New appointments created after the last BlackBerry Internet Service [CICAL] service book is sent, will not be affected and will work as expected.

Cause 2

If the duplicate message says received using unknown, the duplicate was sent using BlackBerry® Desktop Redirector.

Resolution

Cause 1

The first BlackBerry Internet Service [CICAL] service book sent inherits the appointments from the base system calendar (calendar appointments which were created before any calendar service books were sent to the BlackBerry smartphone).

Resolution 1

If you are running BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2.66 to 4.2.2.103, install the 2007 Calendar Patch. For instructions, see 2007 Calendar Patch for BlackBerry Smartphones.

Note: To identify which BlackBerry Device Software version you have installed on your BlackBerry smartphone, go to the Home screen and select Options > About.

Resolution 2

Upgrade to BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 or later. For instructions, see KB03621.

Note: Verify that the version of BlackBerry Device Software contains Applications 4.2.2.114 or later. To identify which BlackBerry Device Software version you have installed on your BlackBerry smartphone, go to the Home screen and select Options > About.

Cause 2

If the duplicate message says received using unknown, the duplicate was sent using BlackBerry Desktop Redirector.

Resolution 1

Reinstall BlackBerry Desktop Manager for the BlackBerry Internet Service rather than BlackBerry Desktop Redirector for BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

Workaround

Clear and restore the calendar data on the BlackBerry smartphone.

1. Using BlackBerry Desktop Manager, back up the BlackBerry smartphone calendar data. For instructions, see KB11297.
2. Using BlackBerry Desktop Manager clear the BlackBerry smartphone calendar database. For instructions, see KB05340.
3. Manually delete all but one BlackBerry Internet Service [CICAL] service books, by completing the following steps:
* On the BlackBerry smartphone, go to Options > Advanced Options > Service Book.
* Delete all but one BlackBerry Internet Service [CICAL] service books. Eeach integration will have an integration named service book, such as <BlackBerry Internet Service integration_name>[CICAL].
4. Perform a hard reset of the BlackBerry smartphone. For instructions, see KB02141.
5. Restore the calendar data to the BlackBerry smartphone. For instructions, see KB10339.

Important: Should another BlackBerry Internet Service [CICAL] service book be sent to the BlackBerry smartphone, this workaround will need to be repeated in order to move the appointments to the newly sent calendar service.

================================

Last edited by wu-wei; 10-24-2008 at 02:37 PM..
Old 10-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
StuartV

Also of interest is that it says it only applies to BIS. I'm on BES. As I already posted, I tried just the workaround listed there. But, I only have one CICAL service book listed - Desktop [CICAL]. I don't have any other CICAL service books. I don't have any service books at all that say "Device Default", which is what my other calendar is.
Verizon 9550
Old 10-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
wu-wei

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Also of interest is that it says it only applies to BIS. I'm on BES. As I already posted, I tried just the workaround listed there. But, I only have one CICAL service book listed - Desktop [CICAL]. I don't have any other CICAL service books. I don't have any service books at all that say "Device Default", which is what my other calendar is.
Yeah, I'm on a BES too. I had multiple CICAL books to clean up and, like you, I still had dupes.

I had to manually delete Device Default entries. To make it somewhat less painful, try showing only that calendar (Menu > Select Calendar); turn off the delete confirmation; go to Agenda view; work out that thumb that's going to be hitting the delete key; get cracking.

It takes some patience, but that's the only thing I could do.

And that workaround is listed in multiple KB articles - I just happened to find the one for BIS accounts (which seem to be the problem, even on BES activated devices).
Old 10-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #11
StuartV

I have several hundred calendar entries in my Device Default calendar. There has GOT to be a better way to clear them out than manually deleting them one at a time!
Verizon 9550
Old 11-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #12
chris9999

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers
Default Here's a solution

In Calendar:
1. Options, General Options: Set show tasks = No
2. On the Calendar menu, "Select Calendar...": choose "device default". Your calendar will now only display the entries you want deleted.
3. Go to the last date for your appointments: Menu -> Go to Date
4. Highlight the date header, menu -> Delete Prior

Worked for me.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #13
StuartV

Great tip! Thanks!
Verizon 9550
Old 11-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #14
PhYrE

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I have several hundred calendar entries in my Device Default calendar. There has GOT to be a better way to clear them out than manually deleting them one at a time!
Backup & Restore
Advanced
Choose calendar and click 'clear'
Old 01-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #15
rjljazz

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris9999 View Post
In Calendar:
1. Options, General Options: Set show tasks = No
2. On the Calendar menu, "Select Calendar...": choose "device default". Your calendar will now only display the entries you want deleted.
3. Go to the last date for your appointments: Menu -> Go to Date
4. Highlight the date header, menu -> Delete Prior

Worked for me.

Cheers,
Chris
This absolutely worked for me too - on corporate enterprise server. Once I cleared ALL the entries in the "default device" calendar, which included "g"oing to the year 2099 and deleting all the recurring appointments (anniversaries etc) the calendar finally disappeared entirely. Apparently it goes away once empty.

Thanks!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #16
littlesky
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Alltel
Default Multiple calendars...

I have encountered this problem a few times...etiology related to installing something new on the BB. Never minding why it happened, I have successfully fixed this all times by wiping my BB and reactivating my BES. It can be a pain but it fixes it for sure. Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #17
Nurseferatu

Model: 9530
Default Another dumb calendar question

I'm new to the BB--I have a Storm, Verizon, no BES. I came from the Palm world, where calendar items can actually have color-coded categories. This really helped me organize but it's not an option on the very sophisticated BB (snark). I have a Gmail account, a Yahoo account, and a Fastmail acccount...which means I have a calendar for each. On the BB I figured I could create diff. items in each calendar and that way use the color designation of each calendar as a way to color-code my events. The bummer: When I try to sync to Outlook, only the default calendar items get synced. The others are marooned on my BlackBerry. WHAT is UP with THAT!? Is there any way to get all my BB calendars to sync with Outlook?
Argh...thanks...Nurseferatu
Old 03-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #18
wu-wei

Wirelessly posted (8800)

First things first, Nurseferatu - your username is freakin' hilarious.

I, too, came from Palm to the BB. And the lack of PIM sophistication is both pathetic and maddening.

Iambic has released Agendus for the BB, but when I tried it the app exhibited the same problems it suffered on the Palm: SLOW bloatware.

I got an email a few weeks ago from the DateBK6 developer saying he was going to start developing a BB version of that app, too. That was one of my favorite Palm PIM replacements.

Sadly, I don't know that either of those offerings will magically fix the issue you're referring to. I can't recall whether DateBK6 handled color-coded categories, but that thing had more options than Photoshop (ok, it was close).

I've limited my calendars, using only the default that will sync with Outlook, because having everything in sync is more important to me than color-coding. But I feel your disappointment with that limitation.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Or maybe it's RIM I should apologize for...
Closed Thread