Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
txschafers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Unhappy 8700c and Spelling App's

Please Login to Remove!

I have an 8700c on my companies BES. I can get to the Internet and am using PocketDay the WAP version with no issues. However, I can get none of these spelling programs to work. Bbspell, BBCorrector and eSpell do not work. Is there some trick to configuring these app's?
Old 04-20-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
cooperpwc
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

I thought from their Handango page that eSpell was an onboard solution that doesn't use the Internet. Am I wrong?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
txschafers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

I cannot get it to work. I loaded the software but get some type of java error when it tries to launch. I would have to load it again to give you the actual message being displayed. I may try that one again since the checkers that go to a server are not going to work. If they can connect using the Cingular WAP access I have no problem which is why PocketDay works fantastic!
Old 04-20-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Just for kicks try Options>Security>Firewall and click to reset. I find it interesting that none of them work.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:07 AM   #5
greenhut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: tmo

Most users on a BES can use Internet enabled applications like bbSpell. Unfortunately, some BES administrators disable this access. Others fail to recognize that it is not working because their BES/MDS is not properly authenticating with a proxy server. It might also be that your account on the BES needs to have MDS enabled.

The fact that you can surf with a browser, or even use an application like Berry411 does NOT mean your device is enabled for generic access to the Internet. (Both just use a special carrier specific gateway for surfing).

In order to make PocketDay work with WAP, did you have to enter APN, user, and password values somewhere into PocketDay? If you make the APN settings at the device level (in the BB TCP control panel), the settings are correct, and your carrier has your account provisioned to use these settings, bbSpell and other third party network aware apps should work.

It is still possible your BES admin has explicitly disabled this via an IT Policy. One more thing to watch out for.. The default setting on most BES servers is not to allow "Split Pipe Connections". Unfortunately, RIMs implementation of this on the device is weak in that they just remember every application, and whether or not the app has attempted an MDS connection, APN connection, or both. If both, that app will be blacklisted on the device and not allowed any network access. Only way to undo is to reinstall the OS! This means you should be careful to only use try the type of connection you know you want. Trying the other connection type is likely to lock the app from internet access.

jeff
Closed Thread