Old 11-04-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
edemiere

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: du
Default Theme corruption?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello.

I have something that occurs now and then that I thought I would ask as I cannot seem to figure out what is causing it.

I have many themes I have downloaded and they work great. Sometimes though, I will notice that I am no longer on the EDGE network, but the GSM network. If at that point I reboot my phone (without first activating the default theme) after it boots back up, I will see the main desktop screen theme screen (where I would have to unlock the phone) and then after about 5 seconds the screen switches to the white screen with "BlackBerry" in the middle and that's where it'll stay.

The phone can receive sms, email, etc, however, I cannot view or do anything. I cannot make calls, send email or sms. the only thing that will work is that if I get an incoming call, I do see the incoming call screen and I am able to answer it. After I end that call, again, I can do nothing with the BlackBerry until I plug it in to my PC, use Desktop Manager to remove that theme, let the phone boot back at which point it will select the default theme since the custom theme is gone. Then everything is fine and I have to re-download the theme I was using and go with it until it decides to happen again (this doesn't happen on every reboot, just whenever it feels like it). Again, the only thing I have noticed is that it seems to happen when my phone suddenly drops off EDGE and stays on GSM, basically forcing me to reboot it.

This problem does occur with multiple themes made by different people, so I don't think it's how it was designed by this individual.

I am using:
Platform OS: 4.2.0.102
App Version: 4.6.1.199 (307)

Does anyone have any suggestions or know any tricks on a reboot to force my phone load the default theme without having to use my desktop manager? This is really inconvenient when I am out working remotely at customer sites and I need to reboot and don't have access to the BlackBerry software.

I'd sure appreciate any insights anyone might have.

Thanks!!

Eric
Old 11-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
edemiere

*bump*

Nobody else has ever experienced this behavior in their BB?

Eric
Old 11-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

This is a known problem with some 3rd party themes. On battery pull/reboot the phone freezes on the carrier screen. There are 2 solutions. One is to switch to a stock theme when you reboot, and then when it reboots swith to your other theme. The other suggestion is to make sure there are no unopened messages when you reboot with a 3rd party theme running. If it does happen you can turn the phone off using the end call red key, then turn it on, switch to stock theme and then back. I have many 3rd party themes and this only was supposed to happen with the early ones made with a beta version of Plasmic theme builder. It hasn't happened to me but once.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:28 AM   #4
edemiere

I see, ok, thank you so much for the reply Newt, I really appreciate it. I hadn't tried the power off and back on with the red button thing, but if it happens again, i will have to try it because right now if I am mobile, I have to wait until I can get on my laptop to remove the theme which forces it to load the default on reboot.

Thank you again!!

Eric
Closed Thread