BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #81
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

I just got familiar with the Javelin. Now that's what I'm talking about! Beats the Bold in screen, camera, keyboard, double the ram, battery, profile. Has Wifi (who needs 3g really if you have that?), and gps. Just get it out RIM.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #82
ubizmo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
One thing that I didn't see mentioned that I really like about a BlackBerry, that I haven't seen on other devices are the features that help you type - AutoText, holding a letter to capitalize it, pressing space twice for a period, etc. I couldn't switch to another device that didn't have at least those features.
The Sidekick has always had auto-text, and I wouldn't consider buying a mobile device that doesn't have it. It's just too important. The other typing conveniences are nice too, although I still prefer the Sidekick's double click system for setting caps lock and alt lock. In comparison to either device, text entry on the iPhone is unbearable. For those of us who make extensive use of the text-entry apps, these are priority features.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #83
Valrio

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

I had an iPhone for 25 days and ATT service was soo bad I returned it but I do believe it was the iPhone since a lot of friends on ATT with different phones had no problems. 90% of my calls were dropped. I love some of the iPhone features as well as some of the Blackberry features (I have the 8330) but have come to the conclusion there is no perfect phone.....YET! I really mised copy and paste.....hated the iPhone keyboard....love the Blackberry keyboard - especially the ability to capitalize a letter by just holding down the key. Loved the iPhone screen - hated the Apple arrogance.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #84
TheBigNewt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrio View Post
I had an iPhone for 25 days and ATT service was soo bad I returned it but I do believe it was the iPhone since a lot of friends on ATT with different phones had no problems. 90% of my calls were dropped.
You are not alone. Dropped calls on the 3g iPhone is a problem for a lot of people. ATT won't admit to it but it's all over the place. Seems the 3g network is the culprit and the phone loses signal even if you're standing still. The 2g is fine. Go figure. I think they'd better admit to the problem and then fix it and publish their solution. I can't deal with dropped calls. No 3g for me!

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 08-16-2008 at 03:16 PM..
Old 02-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #85
gqstatus05
No longer Registered.

Model: 9500
Carrier: AT&T iPhone 3G User

The new iPhone update fixed the drop call issues. I get one every once in a blue moon.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #86
fxstsb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: ATT
Default Iphone sucks

Take you BB and Iphone and BB down to the Bahamas and turn them both on. Which one will cost $100 more? Like that tiny touchpad?
Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #87
Chevyguy

Model: Apple
PIN: Jailbroken
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
You are not alone. Dropped calls on the 3g iPhone is a problem for a lot of people. ATT won't admit to it but it's all over the place. Seems the 3g network is the culprit and the phone loses signal even if you're standing still. The 2g is fine. Go figure. I think they'd better admit to the problem and then fix it and publish their solution. I can't deal with dropped calls. No 3g for me!
Had my iPhone now for some time, call it luck but I have not had a single dropped call yet, guess it depends on geographical area .... surprised to see so many people talking about capitalization, correction, copy and paste, and space twice for a period ?? The iPhone easily accommodates all of this with ease. OS stability and crashes not an issue at all on iPhone, compared to constant random reboots and freezing on my BB Curve and Bold !
Old 02-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #88
Chevyguy

Model: Apple
PIN: Jailbroken

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstsb View Post
Take you BB and Iphone and BB down to the Bahamas and turn them both on. Which one will cost $100 more? Like that tiny touchpad?
Have never been to the Bahamas, not likely to happen for a while. I base comparisons with devices on a local coverage simulation, LOL... Bahamas !?!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #89
Papadisco

Model: 9000
Default ATT Overseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyguy View Post
Have never been to the Bahamas, not likely to happen for a while. I base comparisons with devices on a local coverage simulation, LOL... Bahamas !?!
Fair enough, but it's worth checking for those who travel a lot. A buddy of mine got an ATT global data plan specifically because he was going to Vietnam. Turns out Vietnam wasn't included even though the sales staff thought otherwise. The datastream on his iPhone cost him over $1,000/day over there. I took my BB (also on ATT) but got very little additional data charges because of the way BB compresses data and because it doesn't automatically download everything on an incoming message/attachment. Yeah, I know, in a perfect world you'd be able to see a message on your smartphone just as you'd see it on your computer, but until that data comes for free . . .

Meanwhile, I got my BB 9000 with some trepidation about being locked into ATT's 3G network and suffering the same dropped calls that my iPhone friends were suffering. Turned out to be no problem at all. I've had the 9000 for 8 weeks now with 0 dropped calls while my damn friends keep calling me on their freakin' iPhones with lousy connections and constant drops. I'd heard it was the ATT network being unable to handle the huge, uncompressed data the iPhone lives off of, but maybe it's a device problem as well?

I travel with a Mac and love the Apple products, but just couldn't live with the touchscreen and the problematic email/data when in remote corners of the world.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #90
brbishop
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadisco View Post
Fair enough, but it's worth checking for those who travel a lot. A buddy of mine got an ATT global data plan specifically because he was going to Vietnam. Turns out Vietnam wasn't included even though the sales staff thought otherwise. The datastream on his iPhone cost him over $1,000/day over there.
A friend of mine went to Toronto for the weekend and was faced with the same thing. Had over $1600 for two days in Toronto using IPhone.

Here are a couple of other things that I don't think were discussed...

Since IPhone is an AT&T phone (I know there are ways around this... but for the most part AT&T) the IPhone is very expensive in data plan and talk.

I have been with TMo forever and I am now on a plan for two phones unlimited everything (except texts...we only get 400 texts each) and it is costing me $152/month out the door with taxes and everything. The IPhone plan for unlimited everything would be hundreds of dollars more per month.

The Blackberry is a great phone and so is the new IPhone. I am glad they are pushing each other. However, like another person here, I use the BB Tasks so much that I couldn't live without it. I have close to 300 tasks on mine and it is great that I can sort by category.

Good luck either way you go.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #91
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

.......to each his/her own. Right now I am enjoying the iphone. For 3 years prior to getting an iphone I was a complete Blackberry fanatic. In a year or 2 maybe I'll be enjoying something else. Variety is the spice of life and if you close your mind to new and different things the world will pass you by and you won't even know it. Live a little BB peeps.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #92
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfanatic View Post
.......to each his/her own. Right now I am enjoying the iphone. For 3 years prior to getting an iphone I was a complete Blackberry fanatic. In a year or 2 maybe I'll be enjoying something else. Variety is the spice of life and if you close your mind to new and different things the world will pass you by and you won't even know it. Live a little BB peeps.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #93
Papadisco

Thumbs up BB Doesn't Own Me, Nor does Apple

As Argon points out in his tagline, there's a natural evolution to all the gadgets we use. I'm on the BB 9000 today and I picked it for very particular reasons that would not be relevant to everyone. The iPhone is a beautiful piece of equipment but I can't use it for what I need today. That situation obviously won't last forever.

iPhone needs its cellular bandwidth to perform like a wifi connection in order to deliver data in the way the iPhone likes it. For right now cellular just can't keep up with iPhone. But that won't last forever. My other gripe is the softkey interface but that now has also been solved (there's an aftermarket keyboard that plugs into the iPhone).

The BB is bulletproof for global travel because it compresses its data to fit over the cellular networks. While you won't get the beautiful presentation of your laptop (or iPhone) on WiFi, you will get your email and that's great. I guess the BB's operating system is an advantage for now, and for as long as the world's cellular network is bandwidth constrained, but that won't be forever will it?

When the network can keep up with the iPhone (and they let you change the battery and don't charge so much for all the decorative HTML that's coming with your email!) then I will definitely look at one. For now it's the BB9000 and MissingSync which allows BB to sync with my MacBook Pro seamlessly.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:21 AM   #94
Edriss

Carrier: Rogers

vventimiglia,
I got an iPhone 3G as an upgrade from a Palm Device, the next day my wife was a proud owner! Don't get me wrong it is a great device, but it is a toy with some productivity options!

1. Just wondering when you take pictures on your iPhone, how do you move all of them on your computer to access later?
2. Notes on your iPhone Do not sync with Outlook, or any other method to edit or change!
3. Security, Security, Security my friend. If my BB is lost or stolen, i can wipe it and transferred all the data to a new device in less than 15min (calendar, notes, contacts, everything!!!). They cannot do anything and that phone will no longer have any confidential info. Oh BTW this is all remotely done using the BB BES, BPS. NO USB, or slow BT.
4. Business use. I can track all text, calls, emails, calendar, when the phone was turned off, when it was turned off, where it is now, etc...
5. Now you have copy and paste, but what about editing PP, word and excel documents for free!? It is included in my BB, now you can read them, but got to pay for the App now.

So what is your point, browsing the web and listing to music, oh and play a few game, or business tool?

iPhone is like using a hammer to fasten a screw, it will work but much harder and it looks bad!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #95
Edriss

Carrier: Rogers

OH YEAH, BTW no need for cell reception to use GPS on my BB Bold!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #96
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

To each there own. Plenty of Business gets done daily on iPhones.

BTW - #1 is pretty easy, if you had ever sync'd an iphone you know the answer. Also you can mass email the pictures as well.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #97
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edriss View Post
vventimiglia,
I got an iPhone 3G as an upgrade from a Palm Device, the next day my wife was a proud owner! Don't get me wrong it is a great device, but it is a toy with some productivity options!

1. Just wondering when you take pictures on your iPhone, how do you move all of them on your computer to access later?
2. Notes on your iPhone Do not sync with Outlook, or any other method to edit or change!
3. Security, Security, Security my friend. If my BB is lost or stolen, i can wipe it and transferred all the data to a new device in less than 15min (calendar, notes, contacts, everything!!!). They cannot do anything and that phone will no longer have any confidential info. Oh BTW this is all remotely done using the BB BES, BPS. NO USB, or slow BT.
4. Business use. I can track all text, calls, emails, calendar, when the phone was turned off, when it was turned off, where it is now, etc...
5. Now you have copy and paste, but what about editing PP, word and excel documents for free!? It is included in my BB, now you can read them, but got to pay for the App now.

So what is your point, browsing the web and listing to music, oh and play a few game, or business tool?

iPhone is like using a hammer to fasten a screw, it will work but much harder and it looks bad!
#3 If your iphone is connected to Exchange you can also remote wipe the device just as easily as you can with a BB. And by the way you can't connect your BB to exchange unless your company is using BES. With the iphone you can connect to Exchange out of the box without any other software. Way to come right of the box on your second post calling the iphone a toy. You are well on your way to fanboi status!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #98
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
And by the way you can't connect your BB to exchange unless your company is using BES.
False. My BB is connected to my company's (Exchange server) email system, and is so efficient that if I'm sitting at my desk in front of my computer new emails arrive on my BlackBerry before they arrive on Outlook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Way to come right of the box on your second post calling the iphone a toy. You are well on your way to fanboi status!
I wouldn't call it a toy, that's admittedly a bad way to refer it just because you don't prefer it - but calling him a "fanboi" when you yourself are probably the #1 iPhone "fanboi" on BB forums is as much out of order as him callling your beloved iPhone a toy.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #99
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Convertable vs Hardtop.
PC vs MAC
Ford vs Chevy
Harley vs rice
etc. vs etc.

Its all about what you like. Enjoy your device but dont force it upon everyone.

Samsung a637 FTW!
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:45 AM   #100
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
False. My BB is connected to my company's (Exchange server) email system, and is so efficient that if I'm sitting at my desk in front of my computer new emails arrive on my BlackBerry before they arrive on Outlook.
I guess I should have said connect to Exchange with folder, contact and calendar support. While it is true you connect to an exchange server through IMAP and BIS, all you get is new email, nothing else. The iphone uses Active Sync which gives you all your folders, plus contact and calendar sync with the server.
Closed Thread