Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW
Default Why the Tour is making me walk away from RIM

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, so I've been using a Berry for a while, been here for a while, and have been a pretty big supporter of RIM. I've owned way to many BB's to list, and have always been the first to say the BB is my first choice over any device. Well that was then, this is now! I won't rant about previous devices, and I'll keep this mostly about the Tour. I've been running 2 lines for a number of years now, one with AT&T and one with Verizon. Most of the time with 2 berrys, and every once in a while with an unlocked device from various device/phone companies.

I jumped ship from my Bold to an iPhone 3Gs about 2 months ago on my personal line, and have been pretty happy. But my vzw line as always been a berry, always! Anyway moved from using my 8830 and Curve to the Tour the day it came out! That lasted about 2 weeks! The Tour I got on day one was terrible, bad/terrible call quality, random resets, extremly bad build quality ranging from problems with the trackball to a very very loose batter cover to faulty send and end buttons. All in all not a great beginning. However, the feel of the device is great, the design is awesome, camera/video, and the usual suspects email, bbm, and text are all great. But with all the problems I mentioned, it's hard to look at a bright side. Especially when phone calling quality is down right terrible. Whether it's a vzw thing or RIM, I don't know, but not cool!

So I returned it, and went back to my 8830. Fast forward a few weeks and I see one of my workers rockin the Tour. Ask him how he likes it, typical answers, it's great, fantastic, awesome! I grab it, make a call, sounds good, build quality feels great, says he has had no resets in the week he has it. Overall, a happy blackberry user, and his first one by the way! So I decide to head to the vzw in the mall, with the thought of grabbing one. And I do! Open it up, build quality feels good, make a test call, everything pretty much works vintage berry! So here I am happy for about a week, loving my new Tour! I'd say this Tuesday is when it went down hill! First the trackball, just stopped working every now and then! Would just die, I must have takin the battery out a hundred times in the last 3 days. The answer key has decided to not work on a daily basis as well, feels very unresponsive after only about 2 weeks with the device. The battery cover has become so loose that it's down right annoying. All these things are nothing compaired to what is happening now. I use this line alot throughout the day because it's mainly my life line for business. I have had dropped calls with Verizon in the past, but nothing, and I mean nothing like I have seen in the last 2 days! I'm talking insane! I could be in NYC, Brooklyn, Queens, it does not matter! Calls are dropping no matter where I am. So I called Verizon, and of ofcourse they blame the device, and I never agree with them. But this time I do, because my brother has an omnia, and has had NO dropped calls at all!

So as u may have guessed! I'm returning this thing asap, and most likely moving away from RIM. Which is upsetting, because I have always liked them. But all of there new devices have been coming with numerous problems out of the box. It just seems like they have no control out of what leaves the plant when there built. Build qulity is garbage for just about all there new devices, for the exception of maybe the BOLD, which also has it's issues with the LCD screen. But I'm focusing on the Tour here! Rim will loose a tremendous amount of people if they don't wake up, and very soon! This is 2009, I want what I pay for, and expect that if you try to stay competitive with newer platforms and devices, u do it right! Not the case right now, Apple, Palm, And HTC are all moving at an alarming speed to bring quality devices to the public. Where has RIM has dropped the ball, and looks to be making devices with there eyes closed. Sorry RIM, I gotta move on, it's been a good run!

Last edited by sean76; 08-28-2009 at 08:09 AM..
Old 08-28-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Moved

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
rick chi-town
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: pin me to the wall.
Carrier: Sprint

Man, there were alot of exclamation points in those 4 really long paragraphs, huh?
Old 08-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
RICKING

Model: 8520
PIN: 216E5D73
Carrier: T-MOBILE

i also have problems with the tour. in the last 2 weeks i ahve been thru 2, the software has just went dead on both occassions. went to vzw and got another. i heard the storm 2 is coming out in sept i saw the review on youtube and crackberry. it looks awesome but i will tell you i am leaning towards the iphone, which i haer verizon is getting it in dec.!!!!!
Old 08-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick chi-town View Post
Man, there were alot of exclamation points in those 4 really long paragraphs, huh?
You read that ?!
Old 08-29-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Have fun peeps. I loaded up 5.0 on my Tour, and contrary to the others out on the net it is working great.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
VibrantRedGT
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A

Not one of the friends I know have their original Tour. One is on #3 (all trackball). They need to test more I guess. I haven't upgraded my Curve because of the poor quality.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Actually, except for people on forums, nobody that I know has exchanged the Tour. One person had to reload software, which worked out wonderfully regarding dropped calls and audio quality.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #10
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
Not one of the friends I know have their original Tour. One is on #3 (all trackball). They need to test more I guess. I haven't upgraded my Curve because of the poor quality.
I know at least 4 people at my work that got the tour and all are having trackball problems.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:11 AM   #11
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

So let me see if I can summarize this correctly...
  • You have a long history of using BlackBerries
  • You have always championed BlackBerries as the best device
  • You have been happy with your previous BlackBerries
  • You get a new BlackBerry and it has problems
  • You leave RIM for greener pastures

Fickle much?

I don't believe for a second that your previous devices were flawless, or that you didn't convince others that their faulty devices weren't a characteristic normally attributed to RIM's devices, and yet at the first sign of real trouble with one of your own devices, you bail out?!

Good luck in your search for greener pastures. You'll need it.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #12
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

We haven't had one Tour issue reported.

There has been a rash of 7250s and 8830s suddenly breaking, however. All replaced with Tours.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #13
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

A colleagues 8830 recently went dead after he saw my new Tour. I asked him what size hammer he used.....
Old 09-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
We haven't had one Tour issue reported.

There has been a rash of 7250s and 8830s suddenly breaking, however. All replaced with Tours.
LOL!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #15
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour

My tour, my mothers tour and my sisters tour all work flawlessly... My only gripe is the GPS thanks to Verizon not using A whatever it is only gets to within 600 meters of where I am.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:00 AM   #16
SueWNY
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: Ask!

I'm on my first Tour and having no issues. OP, I am in NYC too and have had no dropped calls.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:27 AM   #17
BerryMotion
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

No problem with mine, even though i liked the trackball on my 8830 better, but still the Tour is great! plus even if it sucked there are many other RIM products out there!
Old 09-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #18
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple85 View Post
My tour, my mothers tour and my sisters tour all work flawlessly... My only gripe is the GPS thanks to Verizon not using A whatever it is only gets to within 600 meters of where I am.
The GPS on the Verizon Tour isn't restricted in any way.
You must have some other issue with the software you're using.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #19
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

@ Penguin I'm running the stock software that came on it. I don't mean to say "restricted," but it seems it's limited to nailing my location down to within 600 meters. It never lands on the street that I'm on. My iPhone did. It's always approximately close.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #20
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple85 View Post
@ Penguin I'm running the stock software that came on it. I don't mean to say "restricted," but it seems it's limited to nailing my location down to within 600 meters. It never lands on the street that I'm on. My iPhone did. It's always approximately close.
What mapping application are you using? Google Maps? BlackBerry Maps? VZnavigator? Other?

Are you sure that GPS is set to 'Location On' in Options > Advanced Options > GPS?
Closed Thread