Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Default Bluetooth Keyboard Owners: Please Read This

Please Login to Remove!

Currently, I have the Freedom Input keyboard, and need to write a review for this keyboard, but I am researching on driver issues.

I am looking for people to compare MyMobileGear keyboard versus Freedom Input keyboard.

Questions:

(1) Which brand of keyboard do you have?
MyMobileGear or Freedom Input?

(2) When you type fast, does it lag severely?
(If you can't type fast, try banging two keys repeatedly as fast as you can)

(3) When you hit cursor left and right, does it move the cursor left and right while editing an email message?
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 06-28-2005, 02:56 PM   #2
ahovis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Mark,
1. Freedom Keyboard on a 7290
2. It lags some but not un-useable. I can out type it but it does not loose characters.
3. Cursor keys do NOT work correctly.
Regards,
Allan
Old 06-28-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
DavidE
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

(1) Which brand of keyboard do you have?
Like an idiot, I bought both (first the Freedom Input keyboard, then the MyMobileGear keyboard). I'm working on a big writing project and was hoping to use my 7290 for some of the writing.

Both keyboards lag. Not only do they lag, they also miss key presses sometimes.

(3) When you hit cursor left and right, does it move the cursor left and right while editing an email message?
I only use the keyboards with the MemoPad application. With the Freedom Input keyboard, I have to use the alt-gr key along with the cursor keys to move the cursor left and right. I tried to adapt myself to this idiosyncratic mapping of the keys, but found it too frustrating. With the MyMobileGear keyboard, the left and right cursor keys function as you would expect.

I didn’t like having to buy a second keyboard, but I figured I could use the better MyMobileGear drivers with both keyboards. Apparently the keyboards are designed to work only with their respective drivers. I can't get the Freedom Input keyboard to recognize the MyMobileGear drivers.

To sum up, the MyMobileGear keyboard is barely useable because of the lag. The Freedom Input keyboard isn't useable because of the lag and poor mapping of the cursor keys.

DavidE
www.davidenglish.com
Old 06-28-2005, 06:19 PM   #4
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

(1) Using Xema - MMG keyboard here.

(2) I'm not a fast typer so I use Mark's suggestion (2-Keys, 2-Fingers) Yes it lags severely. But if I change [Repeate Delay = Fast] and [Repeat Rate = 14] then the lag is almost undetectable.

(3) Left / Right / Up / Down cursor all seems to work ok.

Note: All you tried to adjust your "[Repeate Delay] and [Repeat Rate]" it seems to help significantly.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:02 PM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

1) Which brand of keyboard do you have?
Freedom Input?

Yes, but the lag is inconsistent. Sometimes it is severe; other times it is negligible.

(3) When you hit cursor left and right, does it move the cursor left and right while editing an email message? No. Delete works; left arrow acts as a <ESC> Right arrow clicks the wheel.

On a scale of 1 (low) and 10 (high), this barely ranks as a 2.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:59 PM   #6
DavidE

If I make a point of pressing each key down a little longer than I'm used to doing, the keyboard doesn't miss as many key presses. It seems to be less sensitive than a typical keyboard. The MMG site indicates the new drivers may have a faster response time, so that may help solve the lag and key press problems for that version of the keyboard.

DavidE
www.davidenglish.com
Old 06-28-2005, 09:01 PM   #7
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE
If I make a point of pressing each key down a little longer than I'm used to doing, the keyboard doesn't miss as many key presses. It seems to be less sensitive than a typical keyboard. The MMG site indicates the new drivers may have a faster response time, so that may help solve the lag and key press problems for that version of the keyboard.

DavidE
www.davidenglish.com

David,

If you don't mind me asking. Since you have both keyboards and you already mentioned the difference of the Left / Right keys mapping, would it be possible for you to comment on the rest of the keyboard mapping? what is different, what works and from an ease of use view and which keyboard mapping you prefer.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:14 PM   #8
DavidE

I definitely prefer the keyboard mapping with the MMG keyboard. I couldn't get used to typing alt-gr/cursor-up and alt-gr/cursor-down to move the cursor left or right, which you have to do a lot when you're writing. I realize the Freedom Input key configuration is meant to mimic the Blackberry keyboard action, but the whole point of buying an external keyboard is to stay with the key combinations you're used to on your desktop.

One thing I do like better with the Freedom Input drivers: Any keyboard activity keeps the backlight on when you use BBLight. That's not true with the MMG keyboard drivers. A workaround for the MMG keyboard is to go into the BBLight app and select a long duration. I have the time set for 9:00 and the duration set for 900 minutes. That way I can just toggle the Time of Day box when I need the light to stay on.

Also with the MMG keyboard driver, it would be good if the up and down cursor keys would repeat when held down (like the left and right cursor keys do). That would make it easier to move quickly through a longer document since there are no Page Up and Page Down keys.

I haven't explored the other key mapping differences between the two keyboards. I'm just looking for something I can write with from within NotePad, so all I need is basic navigation.

DavidE
www.davidenglish.com

Last edited by DavidE; 07-01-2005 at 11:39 AM..
Old 06-29-2005, 12:00 PM   #9
wuberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

I'm using the MMG (Xema) keyboard on a BB7290.

There WAS a lag, but the advice from Mauiboy and others to change the repeat delay to "Fast" and the repeat rate to "14" worked like a charm for me. It's perfectly usable for me now, and I'm not a bad typist.

The left and right cursor arrows work fine for me, but I agree that the up and down should repeat when they're held down.

The split space bar will take some getting used to. I guess I generally hit it in the center, where the split is.

This is the first Bluetooth device I've ever used. I learne the hard way how leaving Bluetooth enabled on the BB lowers battery life.

Overall, I'm very staisfied. I can certainly go faster than using thumbs on the BB keyboard.

However, I noted in a earlier post (another thread) that apparently when Xema updates the drivers, they plan to sell them at a discount to current owners of their keyboard. If that's right, does it annoy anyone else that, as early purchasers of their keyboard, we'll be also be paying more to get a driver that will be included for free when someone buys their keyboard at a later date?
Old 06-29-2005, 01:16 PM   #10
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuberry
I'm using the MMG (Xema) keyboard on a BB7290.

There WAS a lag, but the advice from Mauiboy and others to change the repeat delay to "Fast" and the repeat rate to "14" worked like a charm for me. It's perfectly usable for me now, and I'm not a bad typist.

The left and right cursor arrows work fine for me, but I agree that the up and down should repeat when they're held down.

The split space bar will take some getting used to. I guess I generally hit it in the center, where the split is.

This is the first Bluetooth device I've ever used. I learne the hard way how leaving Bluetooth enabled on the BB lowers battery life.

Overall, I'm very staisfied. I can certainly go faster than using thumbs on the BB keyboard.

However, I noted in a earlier post (another thread) that apparently when Xema updates the drivers, they plan to sell them at a discount to current owners of their keyboard. If that's right, does it annoy anyone else that, as early purchasers of their keyboard, we'll be also be paying more to get a driver that will be included for free when someone buys their keyboard at a later date?
wuberry,

I checked this out with my contact. Apparently what is going to happen is that Xema’s standard driver will be updated regularly and provided free for download from MMG’s website. However, if you got to MMG site they are promoting extended drivers “KeyPro – Standard and KeyPro – Professional Editions. These are supposed to be in competitions with Freedoms $29.00 driver that they sell.

For me the standard works just fine, but if Xema offers a full featured driver that out does the Freedom driver “again I might add” then I just might cough up the extra bucks to get it.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:01 PM   #11
wuberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiboy
wuberry,

I checked this out with my contact. Apparently what is going to happen is that Xema’s standard driver will be updated regularly and provided free for download from MMG’s website. However, if you got to MMG site they are promoting extended drivers “KeyPro – Standard and KeyPro – Professional Editions. These are supposed to be in competitions with Freedoms $29.00 driver that they sell.

For me the standard works just fine, but if Xema offers a full featured driver that out does the Freedom driver “again I might add” then I just might cough up the extra bucks to get it.
Thanks so much for clarifying, Mauiboy. I must have misunderstood the earlier post. This sounds fine to me.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:19 AM   #12
ahovis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c

Quote:
I definitely prefer the keyboard mapping with the MMG keyboard. I couldn't get used to the alt-gr/cursor key combination to move the cursor left or right, which you have to do a lot when you're writing. I realize the Freedom Input key configuration is meant to mimic the Blackberry keyboard action, but the whole point of buying an external keyboard is to stay with the key combinations you're used to on your desktop.
www.davidenglish.com
I have a question about the alt-gr/cursor key combo you mentioned. I can not get this to function at all on my Freedom keyboard. Any trick here? Also wonder if anyone has changed the variables for this keyboard and found anything better than the defaults. Did a quick try and did not see any difference in typing, just the repeat speed and delay as one would expect.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:37 AM   #13
DavidE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahovis
I have a question about the alt-gr/cursor key combo you mentioned. I can not get this to function at all on my Freedom keyboard. Any trick here? Also wonder if anyone has changed the variables for this keyboard and found anything better than the defaults. Did a quick try and did not see any difference in typing, just the repeat speed and delay as one would expect.
I was writing that from memory, because it takes time to switch the keyboard drivers back and forth. I've installed the Freedom keyboard drivers to check this, and it turns out I was wrong. The key combination to move the cursor left and right is alt-gr/cursor-up and alt-gr/cursor-down, rather than alt-gr/cursor-left and alt-gr/cursor-right. I probably assumed it was the other way because that would be more intuitive.

I'll correct the original message so it won't confuse anyone else.

DavidE
www.davidenglish.com
Old 07-02-2005, 03:35 PM   #14
DavidE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiboy
Since you have both keyboards and you already mentioned the difference of the Left / Right keys mapping, would it be possible for you to comment on the rest of the keyboard mapping?
Here are the basic cursor key mappings for the two keyboards:

Freedom keyboard:

UP Arrow --> Move cursor up one row (scroll wheel up)
DOWN Arrow --> Move cursor down one row (scroll wheel down)
ALT Gr + UP Arrow --> Move left one character
ALT Gr + DOWN Arrow --> Move right one character
LEFT Arrow --> Escape
RIGHT Arrow --> Scroll wheel click

MMG keyboard:

LEFT Arrow --> Move left one character
RIGHT Arrow --> Move right one character
HOME key --> Escape
MOUSE key --> Scroll wheel click

DavidE
www.davidenglish.com
Old 07-02-2005, 04:21 PM   #15
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Here are the basic cursor key mappings for the two keyboards:

Freedom keyboard:

ALT Gr + UP Arrow --> Move left one character
ALT Gr + DOWN Arrow --> Move right one character
LEFT Arrow --> Escape
RIGHT Arrow --> Scroll wheel click

MMG keyboard:

LEFT Arrow --> Move left one character
RIGHT Arrow --> Move right one character
HOME key --> Escape
MOUSE key --> Scroll wheel click

DavidE
www.davidenglish.com

DavidE,

Thanks for taking the time to compare the two keyboard drivers. I guess there is not that big of a difference between the layouts. It seems to be more of user preference than anything else. Althought the Xema-MMG layout seems to lend itself nicely for one handed (right-hand) navigation of cursor position and menu option access/control. I guess this is more convient for text editing and just plain moving around the BB UI.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:40 PM   #16
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

FYI,

Looks like MMG is getting ready to start selling the Xema drivers. They a page dedicated for the KeyPro Standard Edition. looks interesting to the lease. They also have a price for the standard drivers. I guess they are looking to capture some of the Freedom customer base.

Have a great 4th...
Old 07-03-2005, 09:58 PM   #17
MobileRC

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
1) Which brand of keyboard do you have?
Freedom Input?

Yes, but the lag is inconsistent. Sometimes it is severe; other times it is negligible.

(3) When you hit cursor left and right, does it move the cursor left and right while editing an email message? No. Delete works; left arrow acts as a <ESC> Right arrow clicks the wheel.
Agreed
Old 07-06-2005, 02:53 PM   #18
wuberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Bluetooth keyboard experience

I just took the MMG Bluetooth keyboard on an extended trip with the BB 7290. I noticed a couple of items:

I wish I could get a capital letter by holding down the key, as it works on the device itself. I actually can figure out how to use the shift key, but I guess I'm conditioned to the "hold-down" capitalization method when I'm looking at the BB screen. Small point.

The most frequently missed character for me was the space key. Maybe the split key is the problem for me.

Overall, it worked fine. I certainly could not type as fast as on a regular full-size keyboard, but I certainly could type faster than the thumb method on the device.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:13 PM   #19
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

FYI,

New drivers are available at MMG. They added support for some other languages. it works with my current license. Just download and install the english version. nothing major changed I guess except for new languages. Oh they did fix the Up/Down text/line scroll. haven't tested it fully yet so not sure if there are any bugs.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #20
wuberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Part (all?) of this may be my unfamiliarity with Bluetooth, but ...

After I installed the new drivers, the keyboard and the BB 7290 wouldn't talk to one another. I was asked for the passkey for the keyboard. I incorrectly thought that was the driver key that came with the keyboard, but -- after numerous tries -- I realized I was wrong.

I remembered reading a post here, so I entered 0000 (four zeros) and then everything worked fine.

I do think the instructions could be clearer, especially for people like me who aren't exoerienced with Bluetooth.
Closed Thread