Old 11-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Question Two Questions About the Bold

Please Login to Remove!

Got my AT&T bold yesterday and had two questions:

1) First device w/ GPS so maybe this is a stupid question. But if I don't use AT&T Navigator (refuse to pay them more than I already do), can I use GPS? I downloaded Google Maps and it doesn't seem to be using the GPS. If I go to Setting / Advanced Options / GPS, "GPS Services" is set to "Location ON" but the "GPS Location" is all 0's. If I want to enable / disable GPS, I assume the "GPS Services" is the option to use?

2) In the Internet browser it seems like most pages load the mobile version of the site while others load the regular HTML version. Is there any way to control this? For example, if I type ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports, it takes me to ESPN mobile. If I type Welcome - What Would Tyler Durden Do: Celeb gossip, rumors, scandals, pictures and videos it takes me to the full version of What Would Tyler Durden Do (great site btw). I went into the browser options and noticed the setting "Browser Identification" under "Browser Config". It is set to "BlackBerry" and the other choices are "IE" and "Firefox". I thought maybe this was telling websites what type of device you are using and that IE or Firefox would always load the HTML page. However the behavior seems to be the same as BlackBerry but the fonts are way smaller and impossible to read.

TIA

Last edited by EricScott; 11-04-2008 at 11:18 AM..
Old 11-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
dandrzejewski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

You'll see those 0's, don't worry about them. To truly test it, go outside, fire up google maps, and wait several minutes. If you haven't used the GPS for a while or if it's never been used, it could take longer than 5 full minutes to acquire the signals of enough satellites to give a fix. It could even take much longer. The GPS in my car does the same thing sometimes.

If you go into the browser's general options, you can change the emulation. If you set it to Internet Explorer or Firefox, sites will generally load the normal versions of their pages.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrzejewski View Post
You'll see those 0's, don't worry about them. To truly test it, go outside, fire up google maps, and wait several minutes. If you haven't used the GPS for a while or if it's never been used, it could take longer than 5 full minutes to acquire the signals of enough satellites to give a fix. It could even take much longer. The GPS in my car does the same thing sometimes.

If you go into the browser's general options, you can change the emulation. If you set it to Internet Explorer or Firefox, sites will generally load the normal versions of their pages.
Awesome. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Magnum
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Want my Debit Card?
Carrier: AT&T, Cingular, AT&T..?

EricScott - I might be wrong here, but I think you can use telenav free as long as you don't want the ''talking directions''.

The telenav talking directions seem jumpy and repeats stuff sometimes [stutters / skips]. I'll work through my 30 day trial, but I doubt it will be worth the $10 a month. I can update the disc in my car for $130, so the telenav / att subscription doesn't save me much.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
mcracco
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A

I may be obvious, but be sure to select MyLocation in Google Maps after you start the app. I don't think it tracks your location by default.

I installed the latest version of Google Maps on my Bold and it had a fix within seconds.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
simplemind
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
EricScott - I might be wrong here, but I think you can use telenav free as long as you don't want the ''talking directions''.
And how would you do that?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

ATT Navigator is a commercial app, none of it is free, except for a free trial period.

And if you need GPS mapping, voice turn directions, etc., it is worth every penny. It and TeleNav are the best on the market.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:06 AM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcracco View Post
I may be obvious, but be sure to select MyLocation in Google Maps after you start the app. I don't think it tracks your location by default.

I installed the latest version of Google Maps on my Bold and it had a fix within seconds.
The initial fix with GoogleMaps is not a GPS fix. Google uses cell tower triangulation to locate you in the absence of GPS. When you get that location, you should see a little box that says something like "your location within 1700 meters." That is the triangulated position. Once GPS locates you it will "within 10 meters" or less than that maybe.

To get GPS, you need to be outside with a clear view of the sky. the initial GPS lock on can take 5-20 minutes.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 11-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #9
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
The initial fix with GoogleMaps is not a GPS fix. Google uses cell tower triangulation to locate you in the absence of GPS. When you get that location, you should see a little box that says something like "your location within 1700 meters." That is the triangulated position. Once GPS locates you it will "within 10 meters" or less than that maybe.

To get GPS, you need to be outside with a clear view of the sky. the initial GPS lock on can take 5-20 minutes.
Right. When I start GMaps I initially get "Your location with 1000 meters. Waiting for GPS" and it has a big blue circle around your location. But if I keep refreshing My Location I always have the Waiting for GPS message. Didn't realize it took that long to lock on. Do I need to be standing still outside or can I be moving around?

Is this delay related to GMaps and how it uses GPS or the GPS function of the Bold? I am not planning to purchase Telnav since I have navigation built into my car but if this is in fact tied to the Bold I can't imagine Telnav would work so well.

Finally, if I rarely use GPS am I better off just turning it off in Advanced Options / GPS / GPS Service --> Location On/Off? I don't see myself using it a whole lot, especially if GMaps takes so long to lock on and is it killing my battery life?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

It doesn't kill your battery life UNLESS you are keeping GoogleMaps running in the background--that kills your battery.

Get a lock on your GPS, first in your Options > Adv > GPS, then run Google Maps. It will react fast, then.

If you travel far from your homebase or where you last refreshed the GPS, you will need to do another referesh, as the GPS downloads the tables needed to locate the satellites in the sky according to where you are located. Fly across the US--refresh. Or after an OS reload.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #11
Magnum

Wirelessly posted (8700c)

With my curve I never subscribed to telenav and was able to get directions, just not talking directions.

I've found that the app is only ok in my book so I doubt I will be paying for it, so once my 30 day trial is up we'll see what happens.

As stated I was able to use it on my curve for no monthly gee, but I did not get the talking directions. Maybe that has changed with 4.6....

Last edited by Magnum; 11-08-2008 at 09:50 AM..
Old 11-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #12
novalovr66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 216b6c58
Carrier: AT$T

I have been using BB Maps on my Curve and now my Bold. I love it although I don't think is has talking directions.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #13
jimpilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

Gotta say the new Garmin 5. program is as good as their units. I have stopped carrying a GPS on the road and jsut use it
Old 11-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricScott View Post
Right. When I start GMaps I initially get "Your location with 1000 meters. Waiting for GPS" and it has a big blue circle around your location. But if I keep refreshing My Location I always have the Waiting for GPS message. Didn't realize it took that long to lock on. Do I need to be standing still outside or can I be moving around?

Is this delay related to GMaps and how it uses GPS or the GPS function of the Bold? I am not planning to purchase Telnav since I have navigation built into my car but if this is in fact tied to the Bold I can't imagine Telnav would work so well.
You need to be outside with a clear view of the sky. The time it takes really depends on where you were the last time it locked on and how long ago that was. The satellites are in an elliptical orbit, not geo so the device has to download the ephemeris table so it knows where to look and which ones to look for. That takes a bit of time. Then once it gets the sats in view, it has to really figure out where it is. That also takes time - less processing power and less memory = longer time to locate. Generally 5-20 minutes for the first time and also if it has been a while since the last fix. Much shorter when it is used more often.

-->>Twitter

Old 11-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #15
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Talking directions is a "premium" feature so you have to pay extra for that. But I've been using both Google Maps and Blackberry Maps on my Bold with the built-in GPS with great success. It's gotten me un-lost while driving on MULTIPLE occasions and saved time on others. Wandering across the campus at Penn State, wondering which way to the parking lot we pulled into 6 hours ago, a satellite map with GPS worked wonders!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
It doesn't kill your battery life UNLESS you are keeping GoogleMaps running in the background--that kills your battery.

Get a lock on your GPS, first in your Options > Adv > GPS, then run Google Maps. It will react fast, then.

If you travel far from your homebase or where you last refreshed the GPS, you will need to do another referesh, as the GPS downloads the tables needed to locate the satellites in the sky according to where you are located. Fly across the US--refresh. Or after an OS reload.
Thanks. Very helpful.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #17
epodox

Carrier: At&t
Default Weared problem with google maps

i have a smiler problem with google maps. Its like the one i installed is just like the one on the web. vary basic and dosnt have any gps features. in fact the only thing i can find about gps in the whole program is when i go to Help > Locate Me > and there it just says "Your device is not supported" wired thing is i have the new blackberry bold from At&t. and i know others have it working. if anyone has any advice please help me. Im already paying 150$ a month for this thing i dont want to pay another 10$ to get gps working lol. thanks all

Josh
Old 11-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #18
Dubdub
Appleinator

GPS is free. You need a BB data plan for the maps to work properly however.

-->>Twitter

Old 11-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #19
epodox

Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
GPS is free. You need a BB data plan for the maps to work properly however.
not really, you need a program to read gps..... and att charges you 10$ a month to use theres. its the only one i can get working atm google maps wont talk to the gps in my phone. you should know this.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:46 PM   #20
Magnum

You pay $10 bucks for talking directions, that's the "premium" part, don't want it to talk to you - it is free app!
Closed Thread