BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 02:15 AM   #21
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

Please Login to Remove!

I used a Treo a year or 2 back and wasn't thrilled with it's instability so I went back to the BlackBerry. I've heard good things about the 750 though. I hear the windows mobile 5.0 is much more stable in comparison to the Palm OS on the 680. I've been debating on giving it a try but I don't think I can pull myself away from the BlackBerry. Time will tell though.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:22 AM   #22
smjoshi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular

I have a BB- 8700C and a treo 650 (and a 600 before that) and I won't give up either. I use both actively. They are different devices, serve different purposes and are good at different things. For example you can't use the BB to "Write" (not "type" on a tiny keyboard) notes on during a meeting which I do all the time and mail the minutes of the meeting within minutes after it is over. That is just one example. On the other hand there is no question about the superiority of the BB when it comes to email. Sure the BB is more stable. But In more than 5 years of treo usage I have never had a problem with it except when I tried to run freeware on it that was in all likelyhood not properly tested and certified for the treo.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:11 AM   #23
narbeauchamp

Carrier: T-Mobile

Amongst other gadgets,I own both a Treo and a BB. I have been a longtime BB and Palm user-and I can't seem to give it up,nor have I really wanted to and as a result have always had a Palm OS PDA along with a BB.I still use both actively,mainly because I have two seperate lines,one for the BB and the other for the Treo/RAZR/Nokia 8801/GC89/____ (insert device here). Everyone has the number for the line the Treo is on (its been my mobile number for more years than I can recall),whereas no one has my BB's phone number.Each has its own uses and advantages.

I had many problems with my Treo at the beginning,while trying to get it "just right" for my needs -these problems were blips ,compared to when I used an earlier palm with a sled wireless modem-which resulted in numerous instances of data loss at the most inopportune moments.Once I got my Treo "just right" ,I haven't had any problems with it since.I admit to being a gadget person,however my Treo has been with me fairly consistently in daily use for the most part forover almost the last two years-there's no other phone that I could say that about.I considered upgrading-but even still I am pretty happy with my 650.

That said-I am happier with my 8700 than I have been with almost any BB to date-and I don't forsee changing either device for quite a while.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:01 AM   #24
codeworks

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

I own both an 8700 and a Treo 700wx with Sprint. I use both. Not sure why eveyone keeps complaining of lock ups. I have the Treo pushed to the limit with Slingbox, Streaming audio/Video from the Web, Sirius, etc, and have had minimal reboots within the 6 months or so I have had it. Maybe the 700P is different with the Palm OS, but the 700wx with the Windows Mobile seems pretty stable. The multi-tasking capabilities on the 700wx is nice as well.

Both serve their purpose on a regular purpose for me. I would not give up either.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:10 PM   #25
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc7
Just curious... Besides the occasional freezing of a Treo (which BTW, I only ONCE had a problem with on my two previous models, 600, and 700w), what other problems have people had? The phone is better than the BB phone, the calender and lists are better than the BB, the multimedia capabilites blow the BB out of the water, the only thing that the BB does HEAD AND SHOULDERS better than the Treo is the e-mail capabilities.
I wouldn't use the word "occaisional" to describe my experiences. The BB definitely is HEAD AND SHOULDERS more stable than the Treo and that's very significant for me. I spend enough of my day troubleshooting other peoples' issues.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:31 PM   #26
bc7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I guess like everything else it comes down to personal preference. I still think I am leaning towards having both, but using just one at a time. For those that have been saying how unstable the Treo is, and while I can't say for everyone, I've had a BB 8703 for a couple of months now and have had more dropped calls than I ever had w/ my Treo. The Treo did freeze up twice on me, while my BB has only done it once. Maybe it is because I switch phones so often being a gadget freak
Old 01-16-2007, 10:35 AM   #27
SuprFly

Model: 8700c

I own a Treo 650 as well. It is now serving the best purpose with my 2 1/2yr old son as his toy phone (No Joke). BlackBerry 4 life.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #28
Nahmeanz

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

I have the Treo 700w and the Moto Q somewhere in my room. Windows phones suck...their memory management is horrible and causes the phones to lock up too much...I do miss some of the multimedia capabilities tho, especially Slingbox...
Old 01-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #29
bc7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Okay, I think I may have figured out an answer to my problem. However I may need your assistance. I'm thinking that maybe I will get either a different BB, or a Treo through a different carrier (other than Verizon which I currently use), and keep my Verizon line with a simple flip phone.

However I'm trying to figure out what carrier to get a data only plan for. I know this may sound stupid, but I know with certain carriers you can switch a Sim card phone to phone but I'm not sure what carriers have that.

Also for those of you w/ Cingular I've heard that there internet is a lot slower than other networks, any thoughts on this?

Please help the gadget freak!
Old 01-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #30
c3po25
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 212D4E69
Carrier: T-Mo
Talking

Both my wife and I had Treo 600 and they were horrible, had to get rid of them after 3mo. now we both have the 8700g and we'll never even think about getting another Treo...
Old 01-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #31
uberberry

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

I own a Treo 700p. I have been a Palm OS fanatic since the pre-smartphone Palm Pilot III. The 700p is so unstable that I fed up. I've ordered a BB 8703e and may upgrade to an 8800 if and when it comes in a CDMA device.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:59 AM   #32
VVoopie

Model: 8300
PIN: 2406406B

I had a Treo 600, 650 and 700w with Verizon. I couldn't wait to get rid of the 600 due to instability and freezing, and I went to the 650. I went through 3 650's and couldn't wait to get rid of the 650 to get a 700w. I got used to the freezing and hard resets with the 700w, but had to draw the line with the 700w ringing for the first 10 seconds of my call after answering my phone. It was embarrasing. I made my first step towards a berry by getting a 7130e and I loved it.... except for the suretype. I got caught up in the hype and I decided to give the full qwerty Motorola Q a try and realized it wasn't a blackberry so I switched carriers to Cingular and absolutely love my 8700c. I do miss Verizon's network, but international travel made me get GSM. I love to get the latest technology, but realize nothing can beat the stability and efficiency of a blackberry. I'm a happy camper, waiting intently for the 8800. I'll have to see how stable it is until I dare part with my beloved 8700.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #33
Treokiller

Model: 8700c

Just look at my name it says it all!!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:42 PM   #34
sfo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e

I have both...but the Treo just lays on the desk. The clean push e-mail, the ability to use just one hand, the excellent keyboard of the 8703e makes it a clear winner for me. Add to that the number of times I have to hit something just right with the Treo Stylus or else repeat the action (ok, maybe just me) and the BlackBerry is a slam-dunk.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #35
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

So is it that the Treos are stuck with one OS and they can't upgrade like we can on our Blackberries?
Old 01-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #36
GardnerMS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: N/A

I guess technically I own both... i gave my wife my 8700c after I got a Treo 750...

Man I miss the way it handles email.. Since I can't put Chatter on it, i'm using Outlook/with a hosted exchange account. And it can't even download gmail for some reason...

But at this point, I am enjoying the HSPDA a lot... and who knows.. maybe I'll get the 8800 when/if it comes out.

mG
Old 01-25-2007, 02:32 PM   #37
bcaslis
Thumbs Must Hurt

No you can upgrade the OS on the Treos, it's just that Palm hasn't released an OS upgrade for a long time even though are significant problems on the Treos released in the past year (I've owned basically every Treo model at some point).

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeatl
So is it that the Treos are stuck with one OS and they can't upgrade like we can on our Blackberries?
Old 01-25-2007, 03:17 PM   #38
scaredpoet

Model: iPhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc7
Just curious... Besides the occasional freezing of a Treo (which BTW, I only ONCE had a problem with on my two previous models, 600, and 700w), what other problems have people had?
It isn't just an "occasional" freezing.

My device history is long and storied. From the RIM 950, to the Treo 300, to various Blackberry models (7250, 7130e), to the Treo 650, 700P and now the Blackberry 8703e.

I *wanted* the treo to be a good phone, but inevitably, it just isn't. It doesn't just freeze, it reboots, sometimes randomly and without any reason at all, and sometimes even when you're not using it, but many times when you are.

My Blackberries? Never had to reboot them, except when updating OS software.

Quote:
The phone is better than the BB phone,
No it isn't. The phone app can lag as much as several seconds before it launches. The 700P on Sprint consistently froze after calling the customer service number, requiring not one but TWO reboots in many cases. Sometimes the phone app crashes when a call is received, forcing a reboot and forcing you to miss your call. And the interface to make 3way calls and activate the speakerphone is clunky and doesn't always work.

The phone app on the treo is FAR from good. It's a disaster.

Contrast that to the Blackberry phone app: none of these problems exist, or at least I haven't experienced them and no one I know has complained.

Quote:
the calender and lists are better than the BB,
Sure, if you spend money on Agendus or an alternative calendar program.... and can get it to not crash your Treo.

Quote:
the multimedia capabilites blow the BB out of the water,
This years' models will more than exceed the Treo. See, at least RIM updates their handhelds. How long has Palm been running Garnet?

Quote:
the only thing that the BB does HEAD AND SHOULDERS better than the Treo is the e-mail capabilities.
Exactly right. Though you can get Good or another push mail app and make your Treo work like a Blackberry. Sort of.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:37 PM   #39
stlpilot

Model: 7100i

Ok, I've read thru many many lines on this post, and I just have to chime in. I too am a gadget nut. My wife doesn't know half the gadgets I've tgried and returned it's really that bad gang. Anyway, I started with the early BB's 6xxx series, 7xxx series (2 of them thru Nextel, QWERTY and Sure Type models) I'm sitting in Logan airport reading this page otherwise I could quote you model numbers from all of the boxes of old units still stacked in my closet. Anyway, about July 06' I made the switch to Treo 700w Verizon, I was fed up with Nextel and liked "the network" so Verizon was an easy choice and it's been ok so far. I went into the store looking to buy the Q, as my company wanted the Windows platform in order for me to synch with our network. The guy sold me the Treo based on the short battery life of the Q. I should have fought the company and just stuck with BB, but I had a new gadget to play with.

I've been using the Treo for 7 mos now and I am just not happy. My wife still uses BB thru her work, and is getting an 8700 next week, boy am i jealous! The treo seems like a personal user device where the BB was always for the professional. It's reliable, sleek, reliable, and did I mention reliable!! The Treo is riddled with hard resets, soft resets and the push, pull email is disapointing after you've been a crackberry fiend. The customer service at VZW had a simple answer for my Treo trouble, "just reset it in the morning, lunch, and evening and you'll have no problems." Why should I have to reset the thing that often...BB never has that problem.

Sorry I'm ranting again. Being true to the original thread, I do own both. BB's and a Treo. But if you look on CL or Ebay in the near future I will probably have a 700w posted for sale, or even free to a good home if I don't know the person. Friends don't let friends use Treo's!!
Old 01-27-2007, 03:22 AM   #40
tical

Model: 7230
Carrier: cingular

I have owned them at different points... I prefer the blackberry to the Treo 650
Closed Thread