Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
perlfather
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default avoid roaming charges from outside the US

Please Login to Remove!

Does anybody know of ways to make or receive voice calls from overseas and avoid the expensive roaming charges? With unlimited data plan there are lots of great options for unlimited data from overseas, however, even VOIP services like JaJah seem to incur those expensive roaming charges that are often in the $1+/minute.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: The New AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by perlfather View Post
Does anybody know of ways to make or receive voice calls from overseas and avoid the expensive roaming charges? With unlimited data plan there are lots of great options for unlimited data from overseas, however, even VOIP services like JaJah seem to incur those expensive roaming charges that are often in the $1+/minute.
It is always best to contact your provider with these questions. For instance, you may be able to tack on an international plan prior to going overseas in order to reduce your costs. Some carriers offer this and will set them up for just when you're over there.

Politicin' 24/7
Old 06-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
perlfather
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300

Well look at ATT roaming in France or Germany. With the ATT World Traveler Rate Discount it is still $0.99/minute. That is a lot!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Be on TMO. Have an 8900 with UMA. Use WiFi to make and receive calls overseas.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
Jarrod623
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: Just Ask! PM Me...

Perlfather,

That is the only way with at&t. That is adding the World Traveler Package and paying the reduced roaming fees.
Only other way, is buy a prepaid phone when you get there.

Afraid You Might Miss Big BlackBerry News??
Follow me on TWITTER For Fast BB News

The BlackBerry Dictionary
Old 06-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
UptownGirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

For voice, I would suggest just making sure your BB is unlocked, and putting in a prepaid SIM card of the country you are traveling in. No need to buy a new handset. Many countries have really cheap calling rates to call abroad, some particularly to call the U.S. The only downside is that your number will be a local number for that time frame, not your U.S. number. If that's not an issue for you, you will do just fine.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

And can he also get data and e-mail using that method?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
UptownGirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

The answer, like most things in life is, it depends! Some of the cheaper calling cards only let you access voice. However, there are plenty of calling cards out there now that also support data. I've had good experience with Telestial cards International Cell Phones, World Phones, SIM Cards, Satellite Phones - but the issue is, they are still REALLY expensive for data. So what I do is, when I'm abroad, I will use the prepaid calling card and then surf and read emails using wi-fi. Of course that means you can't get your email pushed - you have to use the web - but for me that's not much of a hassle. It's a workaround solution, but I personally don't want to pay huge amounts to AT&T for international voice and data roaming when I'm abroad, I pay them enough each month as it is.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

And they don't support BlackBerry Data anyway.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
zulluman

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Rogers

There is a service I used called Roamforce that allowed me to make really cheap calls when I travel abroad. What is more fascinating is the email on my blackberry works too!!! As has been pointed out prepaid SIM cards do not support blackberry data, they are only good for voice. Roamforce gave me best of both worlds.
In the UK I was receiving free incoming calls. The nice thing about the service is I only paid a one-time fee for the Roamforce International SIM card and they bill me when I use it.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #11
skosov2002

Model: 7100
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by perlfather View Post
Actually I just had a friend visiting me form out of the country and instead of bringing his own phone with him he rented one from some company that rents Iphones with sim cards, he told me that they gave him unlimited data plan. I didnt get the name of the company but i will find out from him hopefully it will be able to help you.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:24 AM   #12
weath
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Get an unlocked, cheap cell phone for use overseas (probably easier/cheaper to get when you get to your destination. Most other countries sell unlocked GSM phones everywhere). Then, get a Skype account and a Skype number (with US number), and buy SkypeOut minutes. Finally, forward your US phone to your Skype number, and set Skype up to immediately forward calls to your "new" pre-paid local number.

1. Why Skype in the middle? Because most US carriers won't allow you to forward calls to an overseas number.
2. Skype calls to overseas numbers are usually cheaper than your carrier.
3. May work with other similar services (ie: Gizmo).
4. Costs are incurred only as you recieve calls.
5. Still have data on your BB (if you want).
6. SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper local calls. No Roaming charges from your US carrier.

Edmund Burke 1729-1797
Old 10-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
DJBoozy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: ifone
PIN: no more, Imessage :(
Carrier: Orange UK Business

i use something called sim4travel while im away, leave a VM on my berry advising my s4t number, and just use the device if i spot some free wifi to pick up some e-mails.

thats what i did when i went to Turkey in June

6230-7290-8700-8800-8320-9000-9700-9800-9900-iPhone 4S 64GB Black :(
Old 10-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #14
skosov2002

Model: 7100
Carrier: ATT

Weath that seams like a whole of a lot of trouble. I talked to my friend and he told me it was company called iphonetrip. What they do is rent iphones with unlimited data packages whether you are coming to United states or are traveling to Europe they set up Sim cards for your phone with whatever apps you need, like dictionary, travel guides, maps and so on. and for whatever country you need. i havent tried it yet but i will give it a go next time i am traveling to Europe and i need a smart phone.

Last edited by skosov2002; 10-12-2009 at 04:10 PM..
Old 10-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #15
weath
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Seems complicated, but it's actually not. It's a one-time effort on your part setting up Skype. Then it's simply a matter of forwarding your calls on your BB when you arrive at your destination, and putting in the "new" local pre-paid number into Skype for Skype to forward your call.

While iPhonetrip may work for others, I have issues with it: 1-My data on someone else's phone (the average user won't take the time to properly wipe and re-install the phone OS, if they even know how). 2-COST. iPhonetrip prices range from US$99-147 PER WEEK in the US and UK, US$109-179 for Europe, and US$129-199 for International. Again, that's PER WEEK. Definitely not cheap, but to each his/her own.

Edmund Burke 1729-1797
Closed Thread