BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
hyedipin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->
Default What's the latest official OS for STL 100-3?

Please Login to Remove!

What's the latest official OS for STL 100-3?
Old 11-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND
Default Re: What's the latest official OS for STL 100-3?

It goes by carrier, not device, unless you are asking for a leaked version?
Old 11-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
hyedipin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBerry View Post
It goes by carrier, not device, unless you are asking for a leaked version?
I will be on AT&T but I read in few places people using unlocked devices on AT&T received 10.2 update but people with AT&T devices did not (even with same model #)
I like the idea of leaked OS but I prefer to go with complete official OS.

I would assume the latest official OS that has been released for the same model STL-#3 should work with all other STL-3's. I am specifically asking about that version, latest version that any carrier released for -3.
Thanks.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Yes, any carrier's version for the STL-3 model will work on any STL-3 BlackBerry. I put Rogers' 10.2 version on my Verizon Q10 and everything works perfectly, so sometimes you can even install a version for a different model variant. I did this only after reading reports that this version of 10.2 was compatible with Verizon Q10s though.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
hyedipin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Yes, any carrier's version for the STL-3 model will work on any STL-3 BlackBerry. I put Rogers' 10.2 version on my Verizon Q10 and everything works perfectly, so sometimes you can even install a version for a different model variant. I did this only after reading reports that this version of 10.2 was compatible with Verizon Q10s though.
Is Z10 going to be different, I know Q10 was more flexible compared to Z10.
We used to have a list of all OS's etc, we had a nice wiki, what happened to all those. :( Like for OS 7.1 we had leaks and we had latest official ones being posted, good old days.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
ZombieBerry

It wont work like that anymore. It's the main reason I stopped posting leaks and official OS versions for BlackBerry 10. In the sense that you can use any carrier branded OS (as long as it is compatible with your model) that is official and you also have the choice to install leaks, there is too much fragmentation and leaked OS versions are being dismantled and edited before being released.

You have two choices;

- You can continue to install leaked versions of the OS, but you will lose the ability to update OTA via your carrier/device.

- You can install the latest official OS for your device/carrier. Waiting until they update before installing. You will be waiting for a while, but you will have the most current version that has been approved.

The only difference with the Z10 is the STL100-1 variant.

Last edited by ZombieBerry; 11-19-2013 at 02:15 PM..
Old 11-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
hyedipin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
It wont work like that anymore. It's the main reason I stopped posting leaks and official OS versions for BlackBerry 10. In the sense that you can use any carrier branded OS (as long as it is compatible with your model) that is official and you also have the choice to install leaks, there is too much fragmentation and leaked OS versions are being dismantled and edited before being released.

You have two choices;

- You can continue to install leaked versions of the OS, but you will lose the ability to update OTA via your carrier/device.

- You can install the latest official OS for your device/carrier. Waiting until they update before installing. You will be waiting for a while, but you will have the most current version that has been approved.

The only difference with the Z10 is the STL100-1 variant.
Thanks. Since the Z10 I may get will be AT&T's STL1003 it should be safe.
You mentioned two routes, but shouldn't there be three (I know, if it is not what carrier pushed to the device, it won't matter, it's still "leaked") ?
  1. Carrier's official release (for example AT&T is now at 10.1.0.2019 )
  2. Blackberry's latest official release in all/any carrier for that device (for example 10.2.0.424 getting pushed to unlocked devices on USA carriers, or 10.2.0.1791 as posted on Wikipedia as latest official)
  3. Leaked, unofficial, unannounced releases such as 10.2.1 (Non of the carriers pushed this anywhere, as far as I know).
Therefore, wouldn't it be useful to have at least #2 up to date, so that people can safely load that specific version as pushed by a certain carrier, knowing that there are no major bugs, and it's been tested by a carrier and deemed "pushable" as opposed to people going with #3 thinking it is same as #2.

Last edited by hyedipin; 11-19-2013 at 02:52 PM..
Old 11-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
fourstringfuror

Model: Q10
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyedipin View Post
Is Z10 going to be different, I know Q10 was more flexible compared to Z10.
We used to have a list of all OS's etc, we had a nice wiki, what happened to all those. :( Like for OS 7.1 we had leaks and we had latest official ones being posted, good old days.
Yes, those were the good old days of deleting .xml files and being on the cutting edge. It's a little different these days.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
ZombieBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyedipin View Post
Thanks. Since the Z10 I may get will be AT&T's STL1003 it should be safe.
You mentioned two routes, but shouldn't there be three (I know, if it is not what carrier pushed to the device, it won't matter, it's still "leaked") ?
  1. Carrier's official release (for example AT&T is now at 10.1.0.2019 )
  2. Blackberry's latest official release in all/any carrier for that device (for example 10.2.0.424 getting pushed to unlocked devices on USA carriers, or 10.2.0.1791 as posted on Wikipedia as latest official)
  3. Leaked, unofficial, unannounced releases such as 10.2.1 (Non of the carriers pushed this anywhere, as far as I know).
Therefore, wouldn't it be useful to have at least #2 up to date, so that people can safely load that specific version as pushed by a certain carrier, knowing that there are no major bugs, and it's been tested by a carrier and deemed "pushable" as opposed to people going with #3 thinking it is same as #2.
1. It would just be an announcement, as the official OS would be available OTA, and YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) depending on where you live and who your carrier is.

2. They don't list OS by carrier, I mean, you could Google that information and try to keep it up to date, but in my experience, that is an effort with diminishing returns. In fact, I have been trying to keep track with a database since BB10 dropped, and it's not pretty. I have been thinking of getting back up to date with the legacy OS versions. We'll see.

3. There are just too many leaks, all with too many variations and different Android runtime versions. Autoloaders are available from torrent sites 'Search BerryLeaks' and you can probably find a few. I can't even help people until I find out what version they are on (finding out halfway through they don't even have that option in their settings (as an example))

You're welcome to fill the gap
Old 11-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
hyedipin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
1. It would just be an announcement, as the official OS would be available OTA, and YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) depending on where you live and who your carrier is.

2. They don't list OS by carrier, I mean, you could Google that information and try to keep it up to date, but in my experience, that is an effort with diminishing returns. In fact, I have been trying to keep track with a database since BB10 dropped, and it's not pretty. I have been thinking of getting back up to date with the legacy OS versions. We'll see.

3. There are just too many leaks, all with too many variations and different Android runtime versions. Autoloaders are available from torrent sites 'Search BerryLeaks' and you can probably find a few. I can't even help people until I find out what version they are on (finding out halfway through they don't even have that option in their settings (as an example))

You're welcome to fill the gap
If I had the resources, I would definitely help fill the gap, but I wouldn't know where to start.

For #2 even though they don't list by carrier, doesn't Blackberry announce what is the last one in circulation?
I am sure carriers are not developing the software, basically they act as the testers and in some cases adding their apps into the OS (bloatware is not an issue on BB, unlike Android). So the difference between 10.2.0.424 and
10.2.0.1791 should not be because of carrier, but because carrier tested that 1791 and decided to release it to their users.

Ideally, the most reliable and near complete OS for most BB10 users should be the latest one released by ANY carrier anywhere for same/similar device. So, why not focus on this, and forget about the leaks? (unless it is a major release, because once 10.2.1 was out, all variants were just trying to fix something that was broken, while breaking something else.. that would be impossible to keep track of, let alone verify if it is in fact a different release or someone fiddling with the file version/signature adding digits)
Old 11-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

carriers control OS version, always been that way even with droids
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Closed Thread