Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 02:06 PM   #1
phone_caller
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Default Does my data plan...

Please Login to Remove!

follow me out of the country? Would I be charged extra to send and recieve emails?

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2005, 05:35 AM   #2
Talldog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330

If you have T-Mobile or Cingular, you would have to have your account set up for international roaming, and you would pay roaming charges. If you have Verizon or Sprint, nothing follows you out of the country, with very few exceptions.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:41 AM   #3
ck99a
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7510

Like talldog says, you can call your provider and ask them to add international roaming to your account. However, I believe that virtually every provider in the US has international agreements, so I'm not sure where he got the idea that Verizon or Sprint won't work. The country you're visiting must have a roaming agreement with your provider to work. Be warned though - it can be VERY expensive.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:34 AM   #4
Talldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck99a
I believe that virtually every provider in the US has international agreements, so I'm not sure where he got the idea that Verizon or Sprint won't work.
Sprint and Verizon won't work because they are CDMA, which is used in very few countries outside of the U.S. There are a few phones (called global phones) available with both CDMA and GSM radios, but no BlackBerries.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:08 AM   #5
ck99a
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7510

I know they are CDMA, which is the same as Telus Mobility and Bell Mobility in Canada. Both these companies really push the fact that you can travel all over the world with their phones, so I assumed that CDMA existed in a lot of countries.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:16 AM   #6
Talldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck99a
I know they are CDMA, which is the same as Telus Mobility and Bell Mobility in Canada. Both these companies really push the fact that you can travel all over the world with their phones, so I assumed that CDMA existed in a lot of countries.
If you go to Telus' website (as an example), you'll see that they only list 10 countries where you can take their phones, and three of them are U.S. territories.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:19 AM   #7
Ahsan

Model: 7290

What changes requires on the Handheld if you are traveling outside the U.S to make sure that data works, we do have international roming coverage.

Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:48 PM   #8
Talldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahsan
What changes requires on the Handheld if you are traveling outside the U.S to make sure that data works, we do have international roming coverage.
As long as roaming is enabled, the BB should pick up network automatically. If it doesn't, a manual scan (on T-Mobile, Cingular doesn't enable that) should do it. On Cingular, they tell you to do a bettery reset if the network doesn't pick up automatically.

If that stuff doesn't work, you have to call their international support numbers for assistance.