hemant.bobade
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Create Custom Database on BlackBerry device

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone,

I am developing an application in BlackBerry in which I need to create the database on the BlackBerry and accessing it in my application. I think most of the people must have done this before. So, what are the popular database available which is designed specifically for Blackberry/Mobile Device which can be installed on the Mobile.
I heard about PointBase database but not able to download it form its website because of website error.
Also, i heard about PerstLite, OpenBaseMovil databse, but not got enough information about it.
So if anyone is having information about how to create/install relational database(i should be able to do CRUD operations) on the BB, then please guide me here.

Thanks and waiting for your replys...
Old 06-20-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
hemant.bobade
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT
Default Create Custom Database on BlackBerry device

Hello everyone,
By anyway is it possible to create our own database on the BlackBerry device. Anyhow Is it possible on BlackBerry?

Or is there any alternate way for doing such things,I know about RMS, but my application needs to perform some CRUD operation on the database. I heard about some database like Perst Lite, OpenBaseMovil, PointBase etc which are used in J2ME application, can I used the same on the BB

So, if anyone is having any idea about this, then please help me out.

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
ncerezo

Model: 8300
Carrier: Movistar
Default OpenBaseMovil

Hi hemant,
This is Narciso Cerezo, CTO of Elondra, the company that develops OpenBaseMovil.
OpenBaseMovil is more than a database engine, but a whole development framework with many tools for making your development easier.
We've signed up as RIM partners, and we're updating the framework so it is able to create native BlackBerry applications, and tunning up some things that are not the same in BB than in standard Java ME.
But it can run on BB just the same as it runs on standard Java ME.
With Java ME and BlackBerry you can access the RMS, but it is very simple storage mechanism not suited to big amounts of data or fast search.
Over the RMS you can find database engines, like the ones mentioned, and of course OpenBaseMovil.
With OpenBaseMovil you can create your database, of course, with tables, fields, indexes for fast search including full text.

With BlackBerry you have also a persistence mechanism, though it is more like transparent serialization, not like a real database.

If you have questions about OpenBaseMovil you can contact us through the web site or through the forums.

Regards,
Narciso
Closed Thread