Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
chrapojr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile
Default Public Folder Sync BES5 / Device v5

Please Login to Remove!

Page 279 of the BES 5 admin guide has a section "control which public folders a user can syncronize to a Blackberry device". So, that means syncing a public folder to the device should be possible.

http://docs.blackberry.com/eng/deliv...nge-5.0-US.pdf

I have Device v5, BES 5. when following the directions to User-Messaging configuration-Email-redirection settings-Selected folders....no public folders are visible.

I have made sure that BESADMIN is an Owner of the public folder and the users have read/visible options as the admin guide says.

I am trying to do a mail public folder, not a contact folder. Contact public folders work fine.

Has anyone had any luck with this?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

This KB article was just released. Maybe it will help:

Configuring access to and using multiple address books with BlackBerry® Device Software version 5.0
Old 10-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

I think, when RIM talks about "public folders", they mean Public folders of type Contact.
There is no way to sync anything else then Contacts
Old 10-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
chrapojr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

Thanks guys. juwaack68...The KB article relates only to Contact public folders, which works fine.

nobody7290...the admin guide I referenced clearly states public folders. In fact, if you go a page or so back in the document, it describes how to do Public Contact folders. They have 2 different sections on how to do it. The guide for regular public folders tells you to go to a different place in BES.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

Yes, I read this:

P278:
Synchronizing folders on the BlackBerry device
Control which public contact folders a user can synchronize to a BlackBerry device
By default, a user can synchronize contacts from all of the public contact folders on the messaging server to the contact lists on
a BlackBerry® device. To help manage network resources, you can select the public folders that a user can synchronize.
1. In the BlackBerry Administration Service, on the BlackBerry solution management menu, expand User.
2. Click Manage users.
3. Search for a user account.
4. In the search results, click the name of the user account.
5. In the Messaging Configuration section, click Device configuration.
6. Click Edit User.
7. On the Email tab, in the Published public contact folders section, select the public contact folders that you want to permit
the user to synchronize to the BlackBerry device.
8. Click Save all.
9. Click Save all again.
After you finish: To permit the user to select which public contact folders the user synchronize, instruct the user to select folders
using the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager or BlackBerry® Web Desktop Manager.

and:
P279:
Control which public folders a user can synchronize to a BlackBerry device
To help manage network resources, you can select the public folders that a user can synchronize to the BlackBerry® device.
Before you begin:
xxx8226; Verify that the Windows® account that you use to run the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server (for example, besadmin) has the
Owner permission for all of the public folders.
xxx8226; Verify that the user has the Read and Visible permissions for the public folders.
1. In the BlackBerry Administration Service, on the BlackBerry solution management menu, expand User.
2. Click Manage users.
3. Search for the user account.
4. In the search results, click the name of a user account.
5. In the Messaging Configuration section, click Device configuration name.
6. Click Edit User.
7. On the Email tab, in the Redirection settings section, click Selected Folders.
8. Select the folders that you want to permit the user to synchronize to the BlackBerry device.
9. Click Save all.
10. Click Save all again.

--------------------

I would be very happy if other folders, then contact would work. But:
The text on P279 tells you what you have to do to make pulic folder accessible to the BES in general.
The text on P278 tells you, if you have public folders availible for the BES, which public contact folders can be sent to the device.

No word on, how to send email enabled folders to the device. To conclude from this, that folders of other content then contacts are avilible for sync, only because RIM does not explicitly states it is impossible, is most likely wrong.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
nefstyle

Model: na
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Setting BESadmin account permission

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody7290 View Post
Yes, I read this:

P278:
Synchronizing folders on the BlackBerry device
Control which public contact folders a user can synchronize to a BlackBerry device
By default, a user can synchronize contacts from all of the public contact folders on the messaging server to the contact lists on
a BlackBerry® device. To help manage network resources, you can select the public folders that a user can synchronize.
2. Click Manage users.
3. Search for a user account.
4. In the search results, click the name of the user account.
5. In the Messaging Configuration section, click Device configuration.
6. Click Edit User.
7. On the Email tab, in the Published public contact folders section, select the public contact folders that you want to permit
the user to synchronize to the BlackBerry device.
8. Click Save all.
9. Click Save all again.
After you finish: To permit the user to select which public contact folders the user synchronize, instruct the user to select folders
using the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager or BlackBerry® Web Desktop Manager.

and:
P279:
Control which public folders a user can synchronize to a BlackBerry device
To help manage network resources, you can select the public folders that a user can synchronize to the BlackBerry® device.
Before you begin:
• Verify that the Windows® account that you use to run the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server (for example, besadmin) has the
Owner permission for all of the public folders.
• Verify that the user has the Read and Visible permissions for the public folders.
2. Click Manage users.
3. Search for the user account.
4. In the search results, click the name of a user account.
5. In the Messaging Configuration section, click Device configuration name.
6. Click Edit User.
7. On the Email tab, in the Redirection settings section, click Selected Folders.
8. Select the folders that you want to permit the user to synchronize to the BlackBerry device.
9. Click Save all.
10. Click Save all again.

--------------------

I would be very happy if other folders, then contact would work. But:
The text on P279 tells you what you have to do to make pulic folder accessible to the BES in general.
The text on P278 tells you, if you have public folders availible for the BES, which public contact folders can be sent to the device.

No word on, how to send email enabled folders to the device. To conclude from this, that folders of other content then contacts are avilible for sync, only because RIM does not explicitly states it is impossible, is most likely wrong.

I am new with BlackBerry.
We are implementing the use of Black.. at my company. I am setting the BESadmin. I already added it to the active and created it on the Exchange 07. But the instruction says To permit the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to check if a user has permissions for a public folder, assign the Owner permission for all public folders to the administrator account. But I dont exactly how to do that part. If is on the exchange on on the active and how to add the owner permission. Can someone help me with this issue?
Closed Thread