Old 07-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Gajen_Raj

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Blackberry 9700 stolen – URGENT ADVISE NEEDED

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I’m based in the UK and owned a BB 9700 with Orange. My phone was stolen this evening. Once I discovered this I did the following in chronological order:

- Contacted my mobile provider and blocked the SIM. The phone is also blocked so new SIMS cannot be put in it.

- I logged into my BIS account and canceled all e-mail accounts synched to my BB

- I changed the passwords for all my e-mail accounts

- I had BB Facebook. I changed the e-mail account associated with FB and also the password

Can someone please confirm the following:

(1) When I deleted all my e-mail accounts on the BIS server will the e-mails be deleted automatically on the BB?

(2) Since the internet on the phone can be used by connecting to wireless can whoever stole my phone still send e-mails (assuming the answer to (1) is No)

(3) Same question as above but with BB Facebook – can they still access my Facebook account on my BB despite my changing the password and login e-mail via my laptop.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Blackberry 9700 stolen – URGENT ADVISE NEEDED

1 - I don't know. See what others say. From what I think I know, if you resent service books, the result would have been deletion of the email folders on the device when the service books were deleted on the BlackBerry. If you didn't resend service books after deleting the addresses, then definitely not.

2 - if your carrier suspended your service on that handset, then I don't believe anyone can use it on your account for anything. By the way, you deleting the email in BIS -- that act alone -- would not prevent someone else from adding email address from the setup wizard on the device, if your BIS account is still active and associated with that device.

3 - I don't use facebook and don't know how it works on the BlackBerry. If it is like other apps, such as the BlackBerry twitter app, where you are always logged in, I would guess if you changed your password or whatever login credentials on the facebook site proper, then you are good. But see what others say.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Gajen_Raj

(1) I just logged into my BIS account and deleted each of my e-mails that were synch to my phone. Once they were deleted there was no options to send service books since there were no e-mails on the BIS account.

(2) Yes, whoever stole the phone cannot use 3G, send texts or make calls. However, if they use the devise to connect to a wireless internet connection I assume they can still send e-mails and use the internet. Therefore Im hoping that by deleting my e-mails accounts, as mentioned above, all the e-mails on my phone will disappear.

Thanks for your advise. appreciate it
Old 07-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Changing your Facebook password will shut off access immediately on your stolen BlackBerry.

Once your BlackBerry is reported stolen, the PIN is blacklisted. Nobody can use the data services like email on that device, be it over WiFi or the regular data connection.

Hopefully you had a password set on the BlackBerry. Once it locks itself there is NO WAY for the thief or anybody else to access your information like emails, contacts, notes, etc. 10 attempts to unlock it will result in a complete wipe and your data is gone forever from the device.

Last edited by rambo47; 07-13-2011 at 05:48 PM..
Old 07-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Smart thing to do next time is set a password with an appropriate time out. And when you are on the move and at risk of losing the device, lock it beforehand. Also, enable encryption for the media card. That will prevent anyone from accessing your data and files.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Gajen_Raj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Changing your Facebook password will shut off access immediately on your stolen BlackBerry.

Once your BlackBerry is reported stolen, the PIN is blacklisted. Nobody can use the data services like email on that device, be it over WiFi or the regular data connection.

Hopefully you had a password set on the BlackBerry. Once it locks itself there is NO WAY for the thief or anybody else to access your information like emails, contacts, notes, etc. 10 attempts to unlock it will result in a complete wipe and your data is gone forever from the device.
No I stupidly did not have a password on the devise. However there was no sensitive information on there other then contact details of friends and work colleagues.

What about the e-mails? I have deleted them from the BIS server so the e-mail accounts (including e-mails) on the phone should disappear right?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

The messages on the device will not "disappear" when you delete the email addresses from the BIS.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Gajen_Raj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post
The messages on the device will not "disappear" when you delete the email addresses from the BIS.
As long as they cannot send e-mails from the account thats fine.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:25 AM   #9
Thiego-uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: SGS2
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Password FTW!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gajen_Raj View Post
As long as they cannot send e-mails from the account thats fine.
They will NOT be able to send email messages from your account. They will not be able to reply to existing emails either so you're safe in that regard.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
mobifree
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: ROGERS

If you had Blackberry Protect, you could have tried to locate the device (prior to the thief removing SIM from your phone).
If they change SIMs, Blackbrery protect is useless. It defeats the purpose IMO.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

There is typically a huge difference between seeing the coordinates of your device or its location on a map and being able to get it back.