Old 09-28-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Echounit
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AllTel/Verizon
Default Setting up Outlook express

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone..I have been tethering my BB 8330 curve to my PC..I recently found interest is Craigslist and I found out I cannot reply to peoples ads for things they are selling etc..I hit reply and I am forced to use Outlook Express,lol..

My problem is,I have never used Outlook before and cannot figure out how to set it up..It says all the POP3 stuff etc.I googled how to set it up and tried but was unable cause every thing I used like all the suggestions I found were I guess not found during the apply process.. In short POP3 ect. was not found! Is this because I am using my BB as a router and it doesnt use POP3 etc..? Has anyone set up OE after they started tethering before and have any ideas what to do? I hope this was clear,I havent been sleeping much lately,lol..
Old 09-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
turn_key
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330m
PIN: G PAL4 Putter
Carrier: Sprint

Although Outlook can be set to access a certain email account depending on the internet connection, the default setting is to access whatever email you set up regardless of the internet connection. In short, tethering with the BB does not have anything to do with Outlook unless you set it up that way.

The reason why craigslist is forcing you to use Outlook is because when you click on a reply link the actual link is formatted to open your default email client. When you hover your mouse over the reply link, in the lower left corner of the browser you'll see mailto:whoever@domain.com which normally opens Outlook. Since you don't use Outlook for email and I would suspect you log into a web site like yahoo, hotmail, comcast, etc. Instead of clicking on the email address, right click on the reply and copy the link. Then go to your regular email site, create a new email message and right click/paste the link in the TO field, deleting the mailto: portion. Or just type out the email address that you see.

If you actually want to use Outlook for email, you need to go to you ISP's site for the POP settings. There are advantages using an email client, but that's for you to decide. I use it for a few reasons, one being I hate logging in to a slow/buggy website every time.

How to set up Outlook Express

Hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
bdsguru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: att

what email are you trying to add to outlook? hotmail, yahoo, gmail etc?
Old 09-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
Echounit
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: AllTel/Verizon

Thank you for the help..I found out a few minutes ago I can change the settings to use widows live so I did that..Unfortunately I use FireFox,lol..So then IE opens up a whole new page but at least I can use it though right..Thanks again..
Closed Thread