BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 09-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #221
emacf1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

Please Login to Remove!

2009/09/11 - GPSLogger release of v1.7.5 (xxx946;)
+ The perfect pair for outdoor navigation: GPSiesConnect & GPSLogger

What's New?
  • Distance (in Miles or Kilometers) will be printed with two decimals (instead of just one)
  • New General Settings Option "Use 'brute force' LocationProvider recovery" (default OFF): GPSLogger can start an observer process for the LocationProvider (the "thing" that is generating GPS-Antenna-signal updates) - it can happen, that for some reason GPSLoggers stops updating the location data. With this option you can enable a cyclic check if there is still a signal from the GPS-Antenna and if not the system tries a recovery.
    Please note, that a change requires an application restart to take effect.
  • Option "Check for updates": allows you to check your GPSLogger Version with the latest available at emacberry.com

What's Fixed?
  • Hopefully all font related problems are solved *sigh*
  • Import of KML-Files that only consist of a <LineString> element and that contain negative longitude or latitude values

All changes can be found @ GPSLogger Changelog

Installation & Update
You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the GPSLogger Homepage

Actually I just can recommend to all, that when you open a JAD via the browser (that you has installed previously) then you should always choose "refresh/reload" from the #Menu before you actually hit the install button.

It can happen, that your previous installation of GPSLogger does not will be replaced by the update - then please be so kind and delete the old version of GPSLogger via: Options - Extended Options - Applications

Matthias
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:11 AM   #222
emacf1

Default lap timer...

I have complete the initial step of implementing a LAP TIMER functionality - before I am going to release this function officially I am looking forward to get some additional feedback.

The function is targeting people who are doing multiple laps (min 35 sec length) and want to keep track of each of the laps you are doing - it might not work on a 400m track & field lane - but should be working quite fine outdoors.

You can find this test-version of GPSLogger at:
http://www.emacberry.com/4support/GPSLogger.jad

this version supports all OS (so no nice SVG compass image for OS4.6 devices - this will come later)...

How to use the new Feature:
1) start logging
2) once you are at your lap start finish line:
open the menu and select "Set Start/Finish Line"
3) switch to Timing View to see new data:
current lap time / distance to start finish line (direct line)
once a lap is completed you will find an additional line:
lap length, lap time, average lap speed

Also once you save the path you will find the lap information in the PathDetails Popup

Let me know what you think
Old 09-30-2009, 06:02 AM   #223
emacf1

2009/09/11 - GPSLogger release of v1.7.6 (xxx946;)

What's New?
  • Lap Timer functionality - How to use the new feature:
    1. Start logging
    2. Once you are at your lap start finish line: open the menu and select "Set Start/Finish Line"
    3. Switch to Timing View to see new data: current lap time / distance to start finish line (linear)
    4. Once a lap is completed you will find an additional line:
      - lap length, lap time, average lap speed
      - additional previous lap information (depending on the device resoultion)
    The lap calculation depends also from your outdoor navigation settings (detection of start finish line).
    You can find all lap details of a recorded path in the PathManager Path-Details Dialog.
  • New Appearance Settings "Speed in Minutes per KM/mile" (mpkm/mpm) (default OFF) - this option is useful for all runners who want to keep track of their pace. Once this option is checked, GPSLogger will display all speed information in Minutes per KM/mile/nautical mile.

What's Fixed?
  • Fixed export of KML/GPX locations that are close to meridian/equator

Installation & Update

Actually I just can recommend to all, that when you open a JAD via the browser (that you has installed previously) then you should always choose "refresh/reload" from the #Menu before you actually hit the install button.

It can happen, that your previous installation of GPSLogger does not will be replaced by the update - then please be so kind and delete the old version of GPSLogger via: Options - Extended Options - Applications

Matthias
Old 10-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #224
JakeF150
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: t mobile

Tried it with 8320 w/ OS 4.5 and didnt working and said not found...Any tips?? I m trying to do OTA..

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #225
kingluis

Model: Q5
Carrier: Movistar

looks great, haven´t tried it yet.. thanks for sharing it
Old 10-27-2009, 01:51 AM   #226
87warrior

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon
Talking

Matthias,
Thank you for your work! I have had little seat time with GPSLogger, but like what I see so far.

I know having a screen displaying the Satellite location was discussed earlier. However, I would like to know if a display such as this could be built into the program:

Quote:
GPS Information
Latitude: N 39.67
Longitude: E 12.56
Bearing: 245°
Elevation: 9874 ft
Speed: 56 mph
Satellite: O O O O O O O O O (with the O's blotted in with color as satellites are found)
A single display containing the most useful information to an outdoors person would be nice.

Last edited by 87warrior; 10-27-2009 at 01:58 AM..
Old 10-27-2009, 02:23 AM   #227
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87warrior View Post
A single display containing the most useful information to an outdoors person would be nice.
... the problem is the definition, what will be the most useful information - I hope you believe me, when I am telling you, that I have heard almost all combinations of data already - I thought about creating a "custom" details screen - but I did not came up with a good solution for this screen - till then you have to be "happy" with the information that is already provided in the application

Something you might like to try is: [since in the top header you have all your requested data] - set the font size to the MAX and check, if this makes the info at the top readable for you in an acceptable size -> and then I would use the compass or navigation view as default - I know this is not for what you have asked...
Old 10-27-2009, 02:50 AM   #228
87warrior

Model: 8130

Wirelessly posted

You raise a good point. I honestly believe you have done a fantastic job at meeting the needs of a wide spectrum of people. Thank you for the tips. I will start doing some experimenting with the settings.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:43 AM   #229
emacf1

2009/10/27 - GPSLogger release of v1.7.7 (xxx946;)

What's New?
  • New Option 'AutoSave': Select between OFF, each 5min, each 15min, each hour or each 4 hours in order to avoid path data loss when your device battery dies during recordings.
  • Export as eMail will now include most of the Path details like name, distance, duration, minimum & maximum altitude, etc. in the message body.
  • OS4.6+ Version only: In the Storm OS 4.7.0.181 RIM fixed a bug in the SVG rendering - this makes a workaround of GPSlogger obsolete. Since only you as a User is able to know if the workaround is required on your device or not the new GPSLogger version have an additional Appearance option: "Use SVG position patch in Compass/Direction view". By default this option is enabled (this represents the original implementation of GPSLogger). If the text around the Compass is shifted (in Compass- & Direction View) then please uncheck this new option since you got a new OS version installed where RIM have fixed the problem (and GPSLogger does not need to correct the wrong OS behavior any longer).

Installation & Update

Matthias
Old 10-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #230
franzey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

For some reason, the OTA download link is giving me a Download Failed: 907 Invalid COD error message.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #231
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzey View Post
For some reason, the OTA download link is giving me a Download Failed: 907 Invalid COD error message.
well - might be just a temp problem... possible solutions
1) try again
2) clear browser cache - try again
3) make use if the desktop installer version
Old 10-31-2009, 01:58 PM   #232
emacf1

2009/10/31 - GPSiesConnect release of v0.3.0 (xxx946;)

What's New?/Fixed
  • Active/inactive Application Icon (color/grayscale)
  • Application size massively reduced by using indexed 32 color PNG images
  • Data entered in the ZIP/City/Street input fields where ignored [no location resolving was triggered] *shame*

Installation & Update
You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the GPSiesConnet Homepage

Matthias
Old 11-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #233
gnulab

Model: 9700
Carrier: Indosat

I like this apps, it's darn useful!
keep up the good work...
Old 11-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #234
emacf1

2009/11/16 - GPSLogger release of v1.7.8.0 (xxx946;)

What's New?
  • Support for DesktopManager Backup & Restore [keep the settings of GPSLogger when you update your OS or change the device]
  • OS5.x Support added (text around SVG compass)
  • Support for Storm2

Installation & Update

Matthias
Old 01-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #235
jswills

Model: 9630
Default Late to the Party ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by at.rex View Post
... I don't understand why there is such a great difference between the readings. And, I want to thank you again for all your time and effort that you are putting into this problem.

T
Sorry if I haven't finished the thread yet, but, could the polling/sample interval be different between the 2 devices? I have used the Timex Bodylink products for a couple of years now and I believe that the GPS receiver polls at a fixed interval of 5 seconds. Not sure about the domain/range of polling available for GPSLogger, but I have mine now set to 5 seconds, just like the Timex. This seems to "smooth-out" the apparent variations in GPS data during path-recording, as compared to when I had it set at 1-second intervals, which made my straight paths look like a drunken, blind man had recorded it!

It just seems that, to make an apples-to-apples comparison in the data, this polling interval must be equal or constant between the two devices. I suspect that this is true for all screens, path, altitude, etc.

That's not a pick at GPSLogger as, after 30-40 miles of testing over 8-or-so runs, I find it to be as good as the Timex at recording my running routes. All the other features are cool, too.

Mathias, sind Sie Deutscher, oder? Irgendfalls, vielen Dank für dieses App'.

Any thoughts about the future? As a runner, I wonder about the ability to receive the data from my heart-monitor strap. I do know just enough about telecommunications to know that most of these straps currently transmit some sort of digital signal in the FM-band, but that different protocols are used, not just between manufacturers, but also with a single manufacturer's product line(s). However, should the day arrive when they transmit via Bluetooth, or some other standard, which I think could happen, then such data would be recordable via BB or other PDA/Smartphone.

I ask this because, as a runner who still pursues age-group competition and who coaches younger kids, the integration of the "movement" data, i.e. GPS, with the heart-rate data is a good thing. When I utilize all the Timex Bodylink devices, I can see this data in a somewhat integrated fashion, e.g. when I run faster and/or make a climb, my heart beat increases, too. The heart never lies, even if what it's saying is not always intelligible. Seeing these two separate but related sets of time-series data can sometimes help a runner, both in the short term and the long.

Well, 'nuf for now.

Thanks,
Steve in Memphis
Old 01-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #236
emacf1

Hello Steve,

thanks for your kind words - it's always a pleasure for a developer to read that some people find the application useful... I simply started to write GPSLogger cause my Kids keep asking me "How many km we have walked already?" or "How long it will take us till we are home?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswills View Post
Mathias, sind Sie Deutscher, oder? Irgendfalls, vielen Dank für dieses App'.
Yes indeed I am located in Germany...

Quote:
Any thoughts about the future?...
Actually what I am still hoping is that more and more people make use if GPSiesConnect as well in order to share their recordings with others... There are also some "online" ideas in my mind - but nothing that is in a condition where it makes sense to talk about...

Quote:
...to receive the data from my heart-monitor strap. ...then such data would be recordable via BB or other PDA/Smartphone.
Sure that would be actually no big deal - as long as there is really a std. to read that data - and (this is way more important) somebody is willing to send me over such a device/unit for development - I hope it's understandable that I am not able to buy such additional equipment just to develop a feature in my free application. Of course I do not want to keep it - I just need it to develop the feature...

Matthias
Old 02-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #237
BUC

Model: 9000
Carrier: Movistar

This is the best GPS tracker application I have come accross!... Thanks OP for this great app... Great for Storm 2

I was wondering if you still are building apps? One idea I've seen in Android or iPhones but not on BB is an Artificial Horizon... could you make a pretty one?

I already have a Level application but its not that good to look at when you are off roading... so an Attitude Indicator (Artificial Horizon) like the ones found in airplains would be awsome!!
Old 02-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #238
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUC View Post
I was wondering if you still are building apps?
Sure! - I am still active - you can follow me on Twitter to stay up2date... my last creation is Iconify...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...free-beta.html

Last edited by emacf1; 02-06-2010 at 02:36 PM..
Old 02-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #239
CaptainBDSC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
PIN: Not Tellin' :)
Carrier: T-Mobile

What is "current speed [Ø speed (if available)]"?

Diametric speed? What is that? Angular speed? How fast am I changing theta?
Old 02-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #240
emacf1

Ø speed = average Speed