Thanks!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #242
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

:(

Apperently this program cannot keep tracking for any major length of time on my 8830. If screen gets locked it simply stops. Same thing happens if the application loses focus for any reason.

I wanted to track my bicycling trail but no luck, and my longest tracked length so far is only 1 km. I bicycled for well over 15 km that day.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #243
emacf1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

that is really strange Iare - I hope you believe me, when I am telling you that this is not a general problem of GPSLogger - there are many many happy users that even create logs for days (the max. I have seen so far was 8 days long)...

Something that might be possible is, that you are running out of memory while you are recording you log -> could you just make a quick check and tell me how many free ram you have available? [but this is just a wild guess - since you say that it also happens, when you switch the task by accident... I really seams to be clueless for now - mhhh - looks like I need some "FileScout-free days"]
Old 03-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #244
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

13 mb. Have been that for long while.

I recently updated to latest and up from 1.7 so lets see how well it works when locked...

Hmm it still refuses to get gps.. so I decided to reboot phone. 16 mb free space.

Hmm worked. Weird. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #245
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Okay after little testing, its apperent that Google Maps is at fault. If it has location services that updates once a while, GPSLogger will not work with it. However Google Maps does not start service unless someone runs it, that is why reboot worked on fixing this issue.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #246
emacf1

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

So the problem is, that once GoogleMaps make use of the GPS signal, GPSLogger (and might be other apps as well) can't make use of the signal anylonger - this might not be a GoogleMaps fault - it might be the API itself, that only allows one app to make use of the GPS-Signal on your device... that's quite sad...
Old 03-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #247
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Yeah. I am considering uninstalling google maps and getting regular google map that does not have this personal location sharing thing.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #248
BUC

Model: 9000
Carrier: Movistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iare Tosevite View Post
Yeah. I am considering uninstalling google maps and getting regular google map that does not have this personal location sharing thing.
You do know that you can go into "help" and turn of your location. Also you can just "sign out" and it will not share the latitude locations. So there is no need for uninstalling.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #249
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mo

I have the same problem -- GPSlogger sometimes misses most of a trip -- but I don't have Google Maps running (or anything that would access the GPS, for that matter). Last week I went on a 50 mile bike ride and it captured something like 4 points...a couple at the beginning, one around 20 miles, and one at the end. I did have my phone on standby, but that shouldn't matter, right?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #250
BUC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeek View Post
I have the same problem -- GPSlogger sometimes misses most of a trip -- but I don't have Google Maps running (or anything that would access the GPS, for that matter). Last week I went on a 50 mile bike ride and it captured something like 4 points...a couple at the beginning, one around 20 miles, and one at the end. I did have my phone on standby, but that shouldn't matter, right?

Having the phone locked or in stand by avoid it from accesing to the GPS data. The same happens to Google Maps, if you have a GPS location and you lock the phone you will see as soon as you unlocked it it will be in cell location mode.
So I recommend not locking the phone though I know sometimes that's a must.

I used this apps the day before yesterday to save my car location while I was doing a walk around downtown and I worked great when I wanted to go back to the car.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:16 AM   #251
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

I don't know about how Google Maps handles standby (mostly since I haven't checked it out), but today I tried tracking with GPSLogger and with BlackStar (a nice little tracker but not nearly as feature-rich as GPSLogger), each time with the phone on standby.

BlackStar: 10-mile drive, recording set to one point every 20 meters (equivalent to 1 point every 2.5 seconds or so) ... every point was recorded, leaving me a nice, continuous track.

GPSLogger: 3-mile drive, recording set to one point every 5 seconds ... three points were recorded: two were recorded within maybe 200 meters of starting the drive (right before I put the phone on standby), and then one more point at roughly the 2 mile mark (while the phone was still on standby), and nothing else.

Btw, I'm not trying to knock GPSLogger (I like it a lot and find it very useful); I'm just wondering what's going on. I use standby so that buttons do not accidentally get pushed while the phone is in my pocket or rattling around in my bike bag...
Old 04-01-2010, 12:26 AM   #252
BUC

I too have Blackstar though after downloading GPSlogger I have not use it anymore (tough I like the "export to google maps feature")

In the same spirit of finding a solution I strongly recommend you to try Bones In Motion app. It will track your path and you can set it to "walking" "cycling" etc. You can also see your workout in a chart with pace and elevation, it can also export to map and in theory will tell you burned calories after you input your weight. Its free

Hope this help. Tough I have yet to try it in stand by mode :S

Last edited by BUC; 04-01-2010 at 12:28 AM..
Old 04-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #253
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Tonight, at first I couldn't get it to record any point or even show any speed, even though it had a lock on 8 satellites. But after the third or fourth try it faithfully recorded three trips between 2-10 miles each without skipping a beat, all with the phone in standby. Strange.

I did notice though that when you set the GPSLogger option to keep the backlight always on, and then put the phone in standby, the screen will dim right away (as expected) but eventually the phone gets kicked out of standby. Makes sense in a way, I guess, since this puts the phone into two competing and conflicting modes.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #254
BUC

I just got from a long trip which I recorded in GPSLogger (around 3-4 hours) and it worked flawlessly.... The phone was also using GPS signal for Google maps, Weather Bug at the same time... I was also running music in the background and the phone was put in stand by back and forth without hiccups....
I don't know why yours is behaving that way (maybe settings, go through all of them) but in my Storm 2 it works awesome... I might delete Blackstar for the 115 Kb redundancy....

Good luck with that... but I still encourage you to get the Bones In Motion application if you are using GPSLogger for cycling... they are 2 different apps and both great at what they do....
Old 04-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #255
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Good tip on checking the settings. I had done that and set the "use brute force location provider recovery" prior to those three drives that were recorded successfully a couple of days ago. And today I did a 72-mile bike ride that also was recorded successfully. So maybe that setting was the issue...odd though, since not having it set didn't seem to be a problem until recently.

Anyway, everything seems to be fine now. I'll check out that Bones app too.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #256
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

I plan to try the brute force setting later.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:54 AM   #257
MyPearl

Carrier: AT&T

I will give it a try. sound great. by the way has anyone tried Sanoodi? wonder how it compares to GPSlogger?

Do not mean to hijack the thread. Just looking for some of your opinions.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #258
coolspot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Robbers Wireless

On a Blackberry Bold with Radio / WiFi off, how many hours of tracking should I be able to get before the battery dies?

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #259
VonnerNIX
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Depends on the polling interval. If you have it set to very frequently, then it should die much quicker than polling farther apart.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #260
ofird

Carrier: Cellcom
Default Loading tracks

I would like to load a track fro my bicycle in a TWL format I can convert to other formats if needed)

Then I would like the program to show me if I am on track or off track when I do the tour

Is it possible?