Old 12-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
6o4_dc

Model: 8220
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Internet access, Instant Messeging

Please Login to Remove!

Okay, I'm new to the forum and such and just got my BB Flip
I didn't pay the internet fee for the phone so I bascially just have the basic plan
Anyways few questions

1) When I send an instant message, does it cost money?
2) I want to go on WiFi, but it says Enter Wep Key, what do I put?
3) How do I know when I'm connected to WiFi?
4) If I get onto WiFi, does it cost me to go on it?
Old 12-12-2008, 03:10 AM   #2
fsager
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: 27FC9D56
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4_dc View Post
Okay, I'm new to the forum and such and just got my BB Flip
I didn't pay the internet fee for the phone so I bascially just have the basic plan
Anyways few questions
Welcome aboard we're glad to have ya. Typicly you need to have a BlackBerry specific data plan to utilize the data services to their fullest. If you have the basic BB email only plan, then I think that's all it includes, email and no data service.

Quote:
1) When I send an instant message, does it cost money?
The blackberry instant messaging apps connect to the IM services over the network and do not use SMS or MMS to send and receive IM's. So when you send an IM with the apps that are preloaded on the Flip, it just uses data that is part of the BB Data plan.

Quote:
2) I want to go on WiFi, but it says Enter Wep Key, what do I put?
Is this WiFi network that you are trying to connect to yours??? I ask this because WEP is an ecryption algorhythm for wireless network security. You will need to get this from whomever configured the wireless router to connect to the wifi network.

Quote:
3) How do I know when I'm connected to WiFi?
On the Home Screen, look at the upper right corrner. If you are connected to a WiFi network you will see the (WI/FI) logo, and you will have a diffrent signal strength meter that consists of a dot and three curves like this *))). Your service indicators will also read UMA. If you see what appears to be your typical cell phone signal bars and "GSM" "GPRS" or "EDGE", then you are not on a wifi connection.

Quote:
4) If I get onto WiFi, does it cost me to go on it?
It doesn't not cost you anything to use the WiFi on the phone unless you try to connect to a "hotspot" at a coffee house or cafe. This is charged by whomever owns the WiFi equipment and not your cellphone carrier. Usually you can't connect to a "hotspot" unless you login to it, which may require a credit card. In other words your carrier will not charge you for using WiFi on your bill.

I hope that is of some help for you, and I hope I'm not way off base.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
6o4_dc

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsager View Post
Welcome aboard we're glad to have ya. Typicly you need to have a BlackBerry specific data plan to utilize the data services to their fullest. If you have the basic BB email only plan, then I think that's all it includes, email and no data service.

The blackberry instant messaging apps connect to the IM services over the network and do not use SMS or MMS to send and receive IM's. So when you send an IM with the apps that are preloaded on the Flip, it just uses data that is part of the BB Data plan.

Is this WiFi network that you are trying to connect to yours??? I ask this because WEP is an ecryption algorhythm for wireless network security. You will need to get this from whomever configured the wireless router to connect to the wifi network.

On the Home Screen, look at the upper right corrner. If you are connected to a WiFi network you will see the (WI/FI) logo, and you will have a diffrent signal strength meter that consists of a dot and three curves like this *))). Your service indicators will also read UMA. If you see what appears to be your typical cell phone signal bars and "GSM" "GPRS" or "EDGE", then you are not on a wifi connection.

It doesn't not cost you anything to use the WiFi on the phone unless you try to connect to a "hotspot" at a coffee house or cafe. This is charged by whomever owns the WiFi equipment and not your cellphone carrier. Usually you can't connect to a "hotspot" unless you login to it, which may require a credit card. In other words your carrier will not charge you for using WiFi on your bill.

I hope that is of some help for you, and I hope I'm not way off base.
Well, I didn't pay for the internet fee..so I'm not sure. But I was able to use Instant messenger.

What's the data plan? O.o I'm a newb srryy ehhee

No, I'm using at home trying to get WiFi out of my neighbors

Thnx for the help! =)
Old 12-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: FFFFFFFF

The data plan lets you use the e-mail and other apps on the phone. Many built-in blackberry applications will not work unless you have the special blackberry plan from your cell company on your account.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
fsager
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: 27FC9D56

Quote:
Well, I didn't pay for the internet fee..so I'm not sure. But I was able to use Instant messenger.

What's the data plan? O.o I'm a newb srryy ehhee

No, I'm using at home trying to get WiFi out of my neighbors

Thnx for the help! =)
The data plan is the is the service for giving your blackberry the ability to send and receive email and connect to the internet for various data applications. Mine is 34.99 for BlackBerry Internet Service and Unlimited SMS and MMS messaging. There are other plans at diffrent price points so you will need to check with your carrier for what plans they offer. If you got the BB from an authorized dealer or store, then had to put you on one of the BB data plans when they activated your unit or they can't sell it to you.

Well if you have to enter a WEP key, then our neighbors encrypted their wifi network so you can't mooch unless you crack the key. I can't help you nor would I help you doing that.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Dream Rider
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsager View Post
If you got the BB from an authorized dealer or store, then had to put you on one of the BB data plans when they activated your unit or they can't sell it to you.
This is not true for all carriers, the sales people try to imply it's required but that's not always the case.

Last edited by Dream Rider; 12-12-2008 at 06:39 PM..
Closed Thread