BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 03:51 AM   #1
ondafly

Model: 8310
Carrier: vodafone
Default Blackberrys bypass our Websense Filters ?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Folks,

We have a BES server with a small amount of BB users (23).

Our proxy is Windows 2003 with ISA and Websense. If I don't activate the proxy settings on BES for devices - the Blackberries can only access our corporate intranet. If I activate the proxy option, and type in our ISA servers name. The Blackberries get prompted for a username/pw , once entered they can surf to any website, effectively bypassing our websense filters.

Any ideas, or pointers for this ?

Thanks !
Old 05-10-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
y2kcbr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 3049E825
Carrier: Verizon

How is your BES setup in your environment? I read of something similiar to this happen in a test environment. They moved the BES/MDS in back of firewall with their Intranet/Proxy and it all seemed to work out. How are the BBs connecting to the Intranet btw?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:36 AM   #3
ondafly

Model: 8310
Carrier: vodafone

Hi - our BES sits in the same network as the Proxy (our internal LAN).

The blackberrys can happliy access our Intranet, and if you enter a site like google, you are prompted for domain details (user/pw). The page will load. Problem is you can view any site, which is seriously frowned upon, thus bypassing our websense.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Check the MDS logs and verify that they are, in fact, using MDS when browsing internet websites. You could see this behavior with a device configuration where the default browser is set to Internet Browser and the default MDS browser is configured as the BlackBerry Browser.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:38 AM   #5
gziz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular

i dont think it would ask him for a login if he was using the internet browser , would it?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
vfig

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default Having the same problems

I am experiencing the same problem; we can’t get websense to filter the blackberry traffic. Our blackberry users can access our internal network and can access any website. When they access the internet they get prompted to authenticate. We have used a sniffer and see the traffic coming from the rim server to the bes server then to our proxy server and then back out. I’m able to see the session on the ISA server but unable to see anything logged in the websense reports

We are using websense 6.2, ISA is installed on a windows2000 server and I believe our Bes servers are windows2003.

I’ve contacted websense and they told me that "all blackberry devices as well as BES are not supported as of yet. It has not been tested fully. The time of support for this product is still unknown. With that being said, unfortunately, I will have to close out this ticket."

They also provided me the following to try but my boss is not willing to try it out.
" was able to find a possible solution to your Blackberry filtering issue. I researched some past tickets where we were able to get the customer filtering their Blackberries. This solution worked one time and did not work another.

Please note, as of right now, filtering of Blackberries is not a supported deployment. It has yet been tested, therefore it's current disposition. I was unable to find another solutions to your issue due to the lack of information since it's not supported. Therefore the solution below will be our only option.

Please attempt the following:

Edit the wsMSP.ini file on the ISA server in the system32 folder.
The following was added to the above file:

[configSection]
IgnoreForwardedRequest=0

Once saved, can you please restart the Web Proxy service on the ISA and then test the blackberries for filtering.

Although not supported, please let me know how it goes. I'll keep the ticket open till I hear back from you. Thank you"

If you are willing to try this fix, please let me know what the outcome is.
At this point we are at a stand still.
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Closed Thread