ashish318
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Gmail + Hosted Domains

Please Login to Remove!

I think this is now available..

From the site:

Google Apps mail for mobile application lets you access your Google Apps email account from your Blackberry. To get started, navigate to url in your Blackberry to download the application.

Why download it?

* Speed. Serious speed.
* The same mail functions you know and love, like search and Conversation View.
* The look and feel of Google mail, so you know it'll be easy to use.
* Automatic synching, so actions taken from your Blackberry are reflected in your email account, too.

I cant seem to post the link...
Old 02-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
murpheous
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

it is available and is old and has been discussed here before.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #3
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Actually, is it? I've not seen this before, and I think a number of people were looking for it (if there is another thread, please link me ). This is for *apps* accounts, not the standard GMail applet.

==
Gmail: Help Center - Does the Gmail for mobile application support Google Apps mail accounts?

Does the Gmail for mobile application support Google Apps mail accounts?

If you have a BlackBerry, you can download our mail application designed for Google Apps accounts at Mail by Google

If you currently use the Gmail for mobile application on your Blackberry, you'll need to download the mobile application for Google Apps as well. Gmail for mobile is a different application and is available for download at Gmail. A red M icon will appear for Gmail and a blue M icon will appear for Mail by Google (Google Apps).

Please note that our mail application for Google Apps accounts only supports US English at this time.
==

All the other threads I see via search here on BBF are people trying to get this working with the normal GMail applet; this is a new app and is special. Note that in the bottom right corner is this:

updated 2/21/2007

Old 02-23-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
rivviepop

Followup. (I have a hosted domain)

It's called Mail by Google, version 1.1.0 and size 136,400 listed as a download for the Pearl 8100. It is called "Mail by Google" on the menu and has the blue 'M' icon as indicated. I was able to log into my account without any problems, worked like a champ.

Help | About shows:

Mail by Google (beta)
v 1.1.0d

The usage and settings appear identical to the red 'M' app, so it's probably just different networking mojo that's coded in the guts.

EDIT: forgot to add: "freakin awesome!"

Last edited by rivviepop; 02-23-2007 at 04:42 PM..
Old 02-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
DLB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Yes this is new for Google Apps. Works very well.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
jungleland

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

this is the same thing as previously covered...That being said, what are the benefits, IF ANY, of have the app, rather than just using BIS or BES?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
this is the same thing as previously covered...That being said, what are the benefits, IF ANY, of have the app, rather than just using BIS or BES?
(previously covered....where? link, please.)

It's complementary to BIS/BES, not a replacement. I have accounts of all sorts and vareties, and sometimes you don't want an account pushed to your device; the easiest example I can think of is if you have a GMail account specifically used for forums/mailing lists. Who wants update notices of threads (like from BBF) spamming their handheld?

Likewise I have a domain (personal) that doesn't get pushed to my BB device, I like to log in and check it. Plus, the GMail applets have awesome spam reporting and everything -- they are some of the best J2ME apps I've used.

Remember: just because you do your email one method doesn't mean everyone else does it like that. (not that there's anything wrong with your method)
Old 02-24-2007, 12:50 AM   #8
ashish318
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Vodafone

This is a new application. Thats exactly what I was trying to get across. This should hopefully work as a stopgap solution till BIS gets fully integrated into google apps.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:27 AM   #9
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish318
This is a new application. Thats exactly what I was trying to get across. This should hopefully work as a stopgap solution till BIS gets fully integrated into google apps.
I've been reading up on this, and I wouldn't expect it too soon. From the research it seems that a BIS push isn't as robust as real IMAP, which is what the GMail applets are like - true multi-device sync. The new applet may be your real solution for a bit of time...

What I mean by that is on an IMAP server you can have two clients open (think Thunderbird and a webmail client like SquirrelMail), and any changes to one are reflected on the other almost immediately (depends on how often your IDLE is set). The GMail applets work the same in conjunction with their webapp client; I can have Firefox open to do GMail and the mobile client stays in sync with any and all changes. It's really very slick, go Google.

BIS - while offering reconciliation and push features - doesn't truly keep accounts in sync. You can open Yahoo in the web and your BB mail, read an email on the web client and it's 'read' (aka IMAP "\Seen") status is *not* reflected on the handheld (easiest example I can think of right now); this truly does make it more of a push one-way (sorta POP-esque on steroids) solution.

(I'm currently researching a real IMAP/S client, so this is fresh in my mind. LogicMail is cool, but I need SMTPS support so I'm digging around for commercial offerings. Slim pickings. :-/ )
Old 02-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #10
asilva

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

yes finally, thank you thank you its working great.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:41 AM   #11
peconi

Carrier: T-Moble

A question. I intalled th Gmail App for my domain and am trying to connect to it but for some reason I keep on getting wrong username/password warning.

1) I am using the correct version - one that works with hosted domains on google
2) I am definitely typing my password correctly

What a heck can I do to get it working?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #12
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconi
1) I am using the correct version - one that works with hosted domains on google
2) I am definitely typing my password correctly

What a heck can I do to get it working?
Are you entering your full email address in the username field? So say you have a hosted domain "foobar.com", you want:

username: [email address]
password: XXXXXXXXXX

And just to be sure, you've entered the proper APN in your 'TCP' settings (Options, Advanced, TCP) for your specific carrier?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #13
simonplucas

Model: 8700

I'm also having a problem getting this to work. When I try and login I get the message, "Network Error: Your phone doesn't support end-to-end secure connections (reason: Not HTTPS). In order to protect your data, Mail by Google cannot be used at this time."

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be, and how I can solve it?

I'm using a BB 8700 on UK T-Mobile.

Thank you!
Old 03-02-2007, 01:03 AM   #14
peconi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
Are you entering your full email address in the username field? So say you have a hosted domain "foobar.com", you want:

username: [email address]
password: XXXXXXXXXX

And just to be sure, you've entered the proper APN in your 'TCP' settings (Options, Advanced, TCP) for your specific carrier?
I am completely sure I am entering everything correctly. I have apn set to wap.voicestream.com - I am on T-mobile USA.

The Gmail app for non hosted apps works just fine and all my other apps which use the network connect without any issues (Google Talk, Messenger, emails, etc...)

Only this app for my hosted domain does not work - and I tried the other domain too which I have hosted with Google - I cannot seem to log in. Is there maybe something I need to set up on the Google side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonplucas
I'm also having a problem getting this to work. When I try and login I get the message, "Network Error: Your phone doesn't support end-to-end secure connections (reason: Not HTTPS). In order to protect your data, Mail by Google cannot be used at this time."

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be, and how I can solve it?

I'm using a BB 8700 on UK T-Mobile.

Thank you!
I had the sma issue before - I just reinstalld the app and this error went away - now I have the one where it says that username/password are not all right...

Strange!
Old 03-02-2007, 01:10 AM   #15
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconi
I am completely sure I am entering everything correctly. I have apn set to wap.voicestream.com - I am on T-mobile USA.
Hmmm! I am in the exact same setup, and it "just works" -- you would think that because the normal GMail app works, this one should work as well. Perhaps something with your hosted account is amiss and you need to write Google? My T-Mo plan is the BlackBerry Minutes & Mail plan, if that should make any difference.

(maybe you signed up a long time ago and there was a bug in your Google hosted setup that they've since corrected? I signed up not too long ago, within the past 6 months I think)

EDIT: I'm using an 8100 with the .64 'official' T-Mo OS release
Old 03-02-2007, 01:16 AM   #16
peconi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
Hmmm! I am in the exact same setup, and it "just works" -- ...
Yea I guess... I'll contact them and see what happens. I was one of the fist google hosted beta testers (it's been a long time now). Maybe there is a bug ...

I am on a 300 minute T-mobile plan + BlackBery Unlimited Data ($19.95).
Closed Thread