Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
fasola

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cincinnati bell
Default help w unlocking a sim card in greece

Please Login to Remove!

Brought an unlocked blackberry to greece and cannot activate it. I have bought a cosmote card and need to figure out how unlock the sim. "invalid sim card" is what comes up.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You will need to contact an unlocking service. Had you used the SEARCH feature, you probably would have found several. We recommend HorizonWireless Online, one of our sponsors. Use Gogole to find them.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

Dub the OP said the handset he bought is already unlocked. There may be other reasons for the error msg. I know Vodafone blackberries that have been recently provisioned display either SIM NOT PROVISIONED:2 errors or INVALID SIM CARD for up to 48h until the settings fully propagate through the network.

To the OP: Is that a contract you took with Cosmote or a pre-pay? I recently took some holiday in the greek islands and it seems you now need to be fully registered with passport/address data in order to camp even a greek pre-pay sim on the greek networks. It used to be as easy as picking up a sim pack from those sideroad kiosks.
Not any more, it is now a government policy to register and if you choose not to, they just disable your sim. Are you registered?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Vodafone Business

What type of BB is it? In full kb BBs you can type MEPD while looking at the Options -- Advanced Options -- SIM Card menu and make sure the NETWORK lock is not active.

There is a similar procedure for suretype keyboards that require some typing yoga.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
snhrph
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: nacle of creation
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-economist View Post
To the OP: Is that a contract you took with Cosmote or a pre-pay? I recently took some holiday in the greek islands and it seems you now need to be fully registered with passport/address data in order to camp even a greek pre-pay sim on the greek networks. It used to be as easy as picking up a sim pack from those sideroad kiosks.
Not any more, it is now a government policy to register and if you choose not to, they just disable your sim. Are you registered?
the-economist is absolutley correct. I was in Greece for 2 weeks in July and used a pre-paid card from Wind. Had to register with my passport and hotel info.

It took a VERY long time for the my 9700 to boot when Wind sim card was initially inserted, but after that it worked like a charm.

The sim card came with it's own PIN and PUK numbers (this is probably where the OP's problem is). These numbers were printed on the package that the contained the sim card. Contact the store that sold you the sim card, they should have a record of it in their paperwork.

Good luck.