Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Q10
Carrier: at&t
Default can't find screen shot

Please Login to Remove!

i learned today about long double mash on volume controls capturing a screen shot, but then i could not find the screen shot in my Camera folder. i read the thread below and saw perhaps removing and reinstalling the "SD card" might solve, but a help person showed me i have only a SIM card, and i do not have a "SD Card." when i took a normal camera picture, it saved in my Camera folder. but i still cannot find the screen shots i (orally) hear being taken. has anyone else seen this issue? have ideas where i might find a snapped screen shot? all the other filders seem to be empty so i don't think they're hiding somewhere obvious! thx

Help needed... Can't find my screen shots... - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
Old 08-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
ep8703
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: can't find screen shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor1 View Post
i learned today about long double mash on volume controls capturing a screen shot, but then i could not find the screen shot in my Camera folder. i read the thread below and saw perhaps removing and reinstalling the "SD card" might solve, but a help person showed me i have only a SIM card, and i do not have a "SD Card." when i took a normal camera picture, it saved in my Camera folder. but i still cannot find the screen shots i (orally) hear being taken. has anyone else seen this issue? have ideas where i might find a snapped screen shot? all the other filders seem to be empty so i don't think they're hiding somewhere obvious! thx

Help needed... Can't find my screen shots... - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
you did look in the folder that has the pictures on it?
Old 08-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

there was no folder entitled "Pictures"

the "Camera" folder did have one picture in it, an unrelated picture i took of car. neither the "Camera" folder nor any other i could find had any other picture, much less the screen shots i had snapped from the q10's desktop and expected to be somewhere
Old 08-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

By default, screenshots are stored in the Camera folder on your device (unless you have set it to save to Media Card by default)

Screenshots are also saved under numbered filenames.

So let's see whats going on.
Open Camera>Swipe down from the top>Settings>Ensure Save on Media Card is toggled to OFF.
Back out of there and take a screenshot.
Screenshots are saved under this format IMG_00000xxx.png where (xxx) denotes the sequential number of each screenshot. (001, 002, 003, etc)

You can use your PC (Connect your device to your computer and after mounting, you can use search to look for "IMG_00000" and see where it is located)

You can use the universal search "IM" and all of your IMG screenshots should show up under the search results under Pictures.

Use File Manager; Device>Camera>Tap list view and scroll through the photos until you hit the ones beginning with IMG_00000

If all of that does not work, then you may be limited with screenshots by Balance or something, though I am not sure it can do that, but I know that the PB would not allow screenshots while connected to BES device, this could be along the same vein.

Last edited by ZombieBerry; 08-02-2013 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: Missed a word
Old 08-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

thanks so much for the thoughtful response and suggestions!

i checked with our it department and there is no imposed policy that would block my saving screen shots

after starting through your instructions, and seeing that the first thing was indeed "Off", i snapped two new screen shots. voila, they showed up in the Camera folder with the car photo previously there.

i guess i will try to test a couple of days from now to see if whatever righted itself will get back out of kilter again (like my "displayed message on locked screen" -- which worked one day but has stopped working past couple of days)

thx again!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

well, i tried again snapping a couple of blackberry q10 screen shots (by mashing for a couple of seconds simultaneously the volume up and down controls). neither saved into the Camera folder like i (briefly) experienced before. i then went opened the actual calendar, took a picture of my office (and heard the same simulated camera click sound as with the screen shots), and that picture was immediately saved and available for me to look at in the Calendar folder.

it's too bad i don't seem able successfully to use the screen shots feature. perhaps the screen shots are being saved, but if so i can't find where. may call at&t and/or blackberry support and see if they have ideas. i'd really like to be able to make use of the screen shots function!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Edit: Nevermind, I see Zombie already suggested search.

Last edited by aiharkness; 08-10-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Old 08-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

thanks (and thanks again, zombie). i don't know yet how to use BlackBerry Link and am ignoring that for now. i simply connected the q10 to my work notebook, clicked the bottom left windows (or whateve) button and pasted in IMG_00000 for my search. i got zero hits. (i have already deleted from q10's Camera folder the test photo of my office). i'm sure it's obvious from this and other posts i'm not much of a techie, more like a rat exploring left/right possibiliies in a maze! was there anything else i needed to do to implement the search suggestion(s)? thx
Old 08-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Use the universal search on the handset. Search just for IMG, nothing more, just IMG. Note that the first screen that shows results will only show some of the images found. Select to show all images or more images or whatever. If necessary, switch to thumbnail view to make it easier to look at the images.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

thank you aiharkness. when i searched that way, i found 5 or 6 screen shots. above the images found by the IMG device search, the word Pictures appears. looked again under File Manager on the desktop. there is a Pictures folder, separate from those under File Manager (which is also on desktop), but when i go into Pictures from desktop none of the snapped screen shots appears there. too bad i'm not smart enough to direct screen shots into a folder or subfolder i can easily access from my q10's desktop, but using the device search and IMG is a way at least for me to find them when i really have too. thanks very much!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

one followup, if i may go to the well again. when i find the five (5) screen shots via the device search, i can select one and email it to (say) a help desk person. BUT, i see no way to select one (much less more than one) of the screen shots and simply DELETE them. they're trash at this point and i'd like to delete them all for the sake of general orderliness. wonder if it's the fact that i can only find them via a device search, as opposed to seeing them in an organized folder or subfolder, that prevents me deleting them all. i generally don't like needless trash, test photos, etc. building up on my device. any ideas appreciated! thx
Old 08-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

There appears to be no way to delete the image file from the device from the search results screen. However, if you are seeing screen shot images in the search results that you couldn't find before, that's good, screen shot is working.

There are only so many places those screen shot files can be. My Z10 saves them to the camera folder (which seems to be the default location). I guess you said you looked there? (You also said you don't have a media card?) There is also a photos folder, and a download folder, which to me seem like the most likely alternate locations. Did you look in those?

I was hoping one could press and hold the image in search and then select properties and find the location, but alas properties isn't there. But still, you have confirmed the files are there, so you can eventually find them if you manually search using the file manager app on the device. And if you have a media card, look there as well. Once you find them with the file manager app you will be able to delete them.

Finally, if you are finding some screen shots you took but not others, restart the device and look again. Also, alternatively to searching on the device, you could use the computer with mass storage mode enabled on the device. At least I think you would need to enable mass storage mode, but maybe not.

Last edited by aiharkness; 08-10-2013 at 04:22 PM..
Old 08-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

RESPONSES IN ALL CAPS BELOW. THX AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
There appears to be no way to delete the image file from the device from the search results screen. However, if you are seeing screen shot images in the search results that you couldn't find before, that's good, screen shot is working.

There are only so many places those screen shot files can be. My Z10 saves them to the camera folder (which seems to be the default location). I guess you said you looked there? YES I DID, NOTHING... (You also said you don't have a media card?) I MAY HAVE NEGLECTED TO ANSWER THIS, BUT OUR HELP DESK LOOKED AND CONFIRMED I HAVE A SIM CARD, BUT NO MEDIA CARD. YOU PREVIOUSLY SUGGESTED TOGGLING OFF SOME CHOICE ABOUT MEDIA CARD, BUT I COULDN'T; IT WAS GRAYED OUT, PERHAPS BECAUSE I HAVE NO MEDIA CARD? There is also a photos folder, and a download folder, which to me seem like the most likely alternate locations. THE "PHOTOS" FOLDE" APPEARS ONLY UNDER "FILE MANAGER"; I LOOKED INSIDE AND "PHOTOS" CONTAINS ZERO ITEMS. "DOWNLOADS" ALSO APPEAR UNDER "FILE MANAGER" I LOOKED IN THERE AND "DOWNLOADS" ALSO CONTAINS ZERO ITEMS. Did you look in those? YES, TO NO AVAIL.

I was hoping one could press and hold the image in search and then select properties and find the location, but alas properties isn't there. But still, you have confirmed the files are there, so you can eventually find them if you manually search using the file manager app on the device. I'VE SEARCHED EVERY FOLDER OR SUBFOLDER UNDER "FILE MANAGER" AND CANNOT FIND. And if you have a media card, look there as well. DO NOT HAVE A MEDIA CARD, PER ABOVE. Once you find them with the file manager app you will be able to delete them.

Finally, if you are finding some screen shots you took but not others, restart the device and look again. HAVE NOT GOTTEN TO THIS LEVEL OF DISTINCTION. I EXPECT THE FIVE (5) I FOUND CORRESPOND TO THE TOTAL NUMBER I SNAPPED. Also, alternatively to searching on the device, you could use the computer with mass storage mode enabled on the device. At least I think you would need to enable mass storage mode, but maybe not. THANK YOU SO MUCH BUT I'M IGNORANT HOW TO DO THIS AND I MAY BE OUT OF LUCK. I REALLY APPRECIATE THE TIME AND YOUR THOUGHTFUL SUGGESTIONS. I'M SORRY I'M NOT SMART ENOUGH EFFECTIVELY TO IMPLEMENT!
PS, I HAVE REBOOTED THE DEVICE MULTIPLE TIMES, BUT FOR GRINS JUST NOW DID AGAIN. POST REBOOT, THE SCREEN SHOTS FINDABLE BY SEARCH APPEAR IN NONE OF THE SUGGESTED FOLDERS OR SUBFOLDERS. ARGH/SIGH/THX AGAIN

Last edited by btaylor1; 08-10-2013 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: ADDING "PS" AT THE END
Old 08-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I have mass storage mode disabled. More on that below. When I connect the device to the computer, I see the device memory and media card memory as drives on the computer, which I can access. I have Access to Storage settings set to Autodetect for USB Connection, And On for Access using Wi-Fi. I also have Link on the computer. And as I say, USB Mass Storage Mode is Off. (I don't know what turning on mass storage mode will do given that as it is now I can connect and access folders on the device. I haven't read the manual or experimented.)

If you connect the device to the computer and don't see the device storage memory in the file explorer application on the computer, experiment using the above information and the Storage and Access settings on the device. Find this screen by using the Settings app and selecting Storage and Access.

EDIT: The USB Connection setting allows you to set whether the mode is for windows, mac, or determined automatically by the device.

I'm guessing my Z10 as I have it set is connecting to memory via wifi, and if wifi were off or unavailable I would have to enable mass storage mode to connect to memory via a wired connection.

Last edited by aiharkness; 08-10-2013 at 05:18 PM..
Old 08-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
mclcooper

Model: z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att

I have had the same symptom as described throughout the thread.

For me, the resolution was that the screen shot was saved to me Work space. The screen shot showed in my camera folder after I moved to my Work space.

Here were the steps:

- after taking screen shot, I tried to add an attachment to an email. I looked in the attachment dialog, selected "Picture", did a search typing IMG, after which I saw the icon associated with my screen shot and a path name Device-Work/camera/IMG_0000 ...

- since I've had problems finding pictures in other situations, here's another way I looked for pics in my Work-Space. I went back out to desktop, swiped 2 fingers down to show my work and personal tabs, pressed "work", and then, looked in the Camera Folder. I could see the screen shot there - as you'd expect. All the folders there had different contents than my Personal space.

I hope this helps.
Closed Thread