Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted

Pretty sure of yourself for having put forth a flawed anology. Not once, but over and over.

To use your Corvette example, we see, repeatedly, the new forum member who is like the person who has leased a nice car and finds out, to his dismay, that the lease doesn't include fuel and insurance. Morever, they think they are being cheated! "You mean I'm paying all this money and I gotta pay for gas and insurance too? What a ripoff!"

Yeah, there are people using a blackberry without a blackberry data plan who know the situation and have made an informed choice. But they are different. They don't complain, and they don't expect to use a service without paying for it.

The fact remains that the blackberry device is the hardware appliance for the blackberry services. Without the data plan the blackberry is a good cell phone and an ok PDA. If that's what a person wants, more power to them; but do your homework and be prepared to live with the limitations.
I agree. This is my exact situation. I dont pay for the blackberry data services but I love what Blackberrys can do even without them. Just because someone doeesnt have a Blackberry data plan does not mean that they are ignorant or stubborn and simply dont know about Blackberrys. I've been using Blackberrys for over three years now, at times with data plans, and I found that i simply dont need one.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:12 PM   #42
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Trying to wheeze data services that everyone else pays for, like proper adults, just plain sucks.

Kids have been hacking stuff and trying to work their way around restrictions since the beginning of time. You actually NEED all those teenagers with tons of time to spare to stretch any platform to the limits. They expose possible attack vectors and vulnerability threats for everyone else.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:10 PM   #43
xupthree60

Model: 8520
Carrier: t-mobile

calm down dc/dc

I have seen the 14.99 add on required before also. I know for a fact it even used to say it on their website.

However I do not know how long ago this was and I i do know they now require a data plan if you buy the phone with a contract.

BUT!!!....
if you buy the phone outright, either from t-mobile store or online or even from ebay or second hand, you are not required to get a data plan. you can have whatever plan you want with whatever phone you want. they only require data if u extend ur contract to get the phone.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #44
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Real issue is that if someone doesn't want to pay for data then great. But if they start complaining in the forums that certain features don't work then it is open season on them.

The idea that it is cool to own a smartphone and show it off even though the smartphone features are mostly unusable due to no data service is rather absurd. On the other hand this might explain why some people watch reality TV shows and the various dancing shows that are scripted.

I own a Storm 2 but part of the monthly cost is paid for by my company.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #45
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-economist View Post
Kids have been hacking stuff and trying to work their way around restrictions since the beginning of time. You actually NEED all those teenagers with tons of time to spare to stretch any platform to the limits. They expose possible attack vectors and vulnerability threats for everyone else.
That's fine. It's all part of the game. Just don't come here whining about how disenfranchised you feel because you can't have something like BBM for free.
Some even show up with an attitude of entitlement. Just a teeny bit of research before buying would make everyone aware of what they were getting into when buying a BlackBerry. Whining dopes with attitude just frost me.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #46
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abonds1992 View Post
So I'm with AT&T and I have an upgrade coming up in February, and I shop around on the site for a new phone. What I discover is that all Blackberries require a $30/month data plan. I don't want a data plan and since I'm sure someone will say "Why would you want a blackberry without a data plan that's not putting it to its full potential?" -

1. I'm not rolling in cash; $30 a month is alot to a 17 year old.

2. Why would I need it in the first place? Blackberries have wifi so I can use that instead. If I want to check the weather or look for a street address while away from wifi I can text google for free. Besides there isn't 3g coverage in my area anyway.

3. I don't necessarily need a blackberry, but any phone that doesn't completely suck requires a data plan anyway, so why not get the best out there

So anyways, I know that you can no longer cancel data plans with AT&T, so is there another method, perhaps buying the phone on Ebay or something like that? By the way, I'm not sure if it matters but our family has all data blocked.

only way to get around att data plan would be to get a smart phone that is not att branded.

in which would lead to the phone not being in att data bases for imie and since it cannot detect what phone you have cant add a data plan.

the down side is your smart phone will probably become a dumb phone that cant even text since for some odd reason it requires some sort of data plan for txt/mms.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #47
xupthree60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
Real issue is that if someone doesn't want to pay for data then great. But if they start complaining in the forums that certain features don't work then it is open season on them.

The idea that it is cool to own a smartphone and show it off even though the smartphone features are mostly unusable due to no data service is rather absurd. On the other hand this might explain why some people watch reality TV shows and the various dancing shows that are scripted.

I own a Storm 2 but part of the monthly cost is paid for by my company.
i don't believe that a blackberry is any less usable for business without a data plan. u can still sink it with ur computer and still use the calender and other business related applications.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:08 PM   #48
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by xupthree60 View Post
i don't believe that a blackberry is any less usable for business without a data plan.
Good, you keep right on believing that.
And in the Easter Bunny.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #49
xupthree60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Good, you keep right on believing that.
And in the Easter Bunny.
from the list on this site...

With a BlackBerry data plan you may do all of the above plus:

* receive true BlackBerry push email from up to 10 different email accounts
* use the resident BlackBerry supplied browser to access the internet
* install applications OTA via the supplied resident browser
* use BlackBerry Messenger and send PIN-->PIN messages

1) i can still check my gmail with the wifi (that any business should have) at much faster speeds than even 3g

2) again there is a thing called wifi

3) most shouldn't be used at work

4) not necessary, not everyone u work with has a blackberry, but everyone sure does have text.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:13 AM   #50
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootshwan View Post
I'm living proof that AT&T does not require a data plan with BB. Maybe it's because I have the 8310.
So, give it time, review your bill often.
He's probably grandfathered. Or had His bb prior to signing a new contract. One of my att lines is like that. Has a tilt2 on it with a 15 bux plan works great
Old 04-05-2010, 05:00 AM   #51
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:

1) i can still check my gmail with the wifi (that any business should have) at much faster speeds than even 3g

4) not necessary, not everyone u work with has a blackberry, but everyone sure does have text.
Wow, you must not be in the business world because you're totally off-base.

Last edited by dc/dc; 04-05-2010 at 05:02 AM..
Old 04-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #52
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

yea and if he's happy to only "check" his gmail on WiFi...

There's so much more.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:12 AM   #53
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

This is funny, ha ha.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:53 AM   #54
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
If you can't afford a data plan, don't get a device that uses data. Simple as that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshift View Post
People need to remember that a BB requires "pay to play". They are not fashionable accessories or things to acquire because "your friend has one".
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
The idea that it is cool to own a smartphone and show it off even though the smartphone features are mostly unusable due to no data service is rather absurd.
No, what is absurd is the idea that a phone is something close to a fetish object people fantasise over and rush to display and show off to friends and acquaintances. For some i assure you is just a piece of plastic that blips annoyingly now and then.

Just because the device is network capable that doesn't mean that specific plan that covers the said feature should be forced upon you monetarily. Imagine if next time you bought a computer you also had to buy an internet plan because the computer is network-capable. What if you just wanted to play a game? Or write a letter and print it?

I have a close friend who's speech and mobility impaired. She takes care of herself and lives alone. She just has difficulties in speaking clearly and moving around. I got her a Bold. With a 3rd party 3800mah battery she needs to charge it maybe once a week (great if you're unhappy fighting your way through wiring, she's also frequently out and about with friends). She's got some 20 contacts she communicates frequently with and the size of the Bold makes it perfect for her weak grip. Anything smaller or lighter trembles and falls through her fingers. The voice recognition is assigned to the side button and surprisingly voice dialling works perfect for her on the Bold although she is partially speech impaired.

Why exactly would that person be FORCED to have a data plan just because the handset is data capable? And i can assure you she's not using it to "show off". Why people demonstrate that crazy obsession with data plans and anyone who does not subscribe to one gets flamed in thread upon thread upon thread like they broke the sacred sect protocol of a religious following?

ps: Things change dramatically though if the handset is subsidised through a carrier. Then they can legally force you to subscribe to anything they wish since they recover the subsidised cost over the period of your plan.
If you source the handset externally to the carrier though you should be able to use the device as you see fit. Not everyone buys a phone as a fashionable accessory or to make a statement. Someone said "get a job"..
Respectfully, i believe the op came here for technical advice, not career counselling.

just my 2c. Please don't anyone start an epic flame. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #55
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

Quote:
No, what is absurd is the idea that a phone is something close to a fetish object people fantasise over and rush to display and show off to friends and acquaintances. For some i assure you is just a piece of plastic that blips annoyingly now and then.

Just because the device is network capable that doesn't mean that specific plan that covers the said feature should be forced upon you monetarily. Imagine if next time you bought a computer you also had to buy an internet plan because the computer is network-capable. What if you just wanted to play a game? Or write a letter and print it?

I have a close friend who's speech and mobility impaired. She takes care of herself and lives alone. She just has difficulties in speaking clearly and moving around. I got her a Bold. With a 3rd party 3800mah battery she needs to charge it maybe once a week (great if you're unhappy fighting your way through wiring, she's also frequently out and about with friends). She's got some 20 contacts she communicates frequently with and the size of the Bold makes it perfect for her weak grip. Anything smaller or lighter trembles and falls through her fingers. The voice recognition is assigned to the side button and surprisingly voice dialling works perfect for her on the Bold although she is partially speech impaired.

Why exactly would that person be FORCED to have a data plan just because the handset is data capable? And i can assure you she's not using it to "show off". Why people demonstrate that crazy obsession with data plans and anyone who does not subscribe to one gets flamed in thread upon thread upon thread like they broke the sacred sect protocol of a religious following?

You must have had a quad Venti before writing this.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #56
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
You must have had a quad Venti before writing this.
Illy espresso, double.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #57
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:

Obviously you have never worked in a corporate environment. What corporation do you know that uses Gmail?

How will I check my corporate Gmail when I am in a location where I can't access WiFi?

If I can't have apps on my device, how will I use MobileSSH?
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #58
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
What corporation do you know that uses Gmail?
CIO's cost-cutting measures include move to Gmail
Old 04-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #59
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

If you work for a company that is considered a security risk due to what it does then I have a hard time believing that the CIO would allow gmail or anything that could not be locked down inside the company server farm. Hell, where I work Facebook is completely forbidden and anything related to it is locked out. If I go to the abc news website and there is an advertisement for Facebook it is locked out with rather nasty verbage. We have some rather draconian rules but then we are in the chemical industy and Uncle Sam has some rather specific rules concerning communication that we have to follow.

Likewise if you work for a flower shop I doubt it really matters.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #60
pootshwan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:

ps: Things change dramatically though if the handset is subsidised through a carrier. Then they can legally force you to subscribe to anything they wish since they recover the subsidised cost over the period of your plan.
If you source the handset externally to the carrier though you should be able to use the device as you see fit. Not everyone buys a phone as a fashionable accessory or to make a statement. Someone said "get a job"..
Respectfully, i believe the op came here for technical advice, not career counselling.

AMEN! I'd also like to mention that there seems to be somewhat of a cult following on this forum. If you don't share the same core ideas as a few people everyone takes it upon themselves to start bashing you. It sort of reminds me of a high school clique. Wake up people...this is the 21st century, diversity/differences are a good thing and should be encouraged. Does anyone else feel this way? I know most people reading this will not even agree with me for the harassment that will ensue. I don't mind. I will revisit this thread to read through the people scorning me. It honestly makes me laugh. Some of things people say are actually intellectual and funny, even if it is poking fun. I know people are going to pick apart my post and try to make a mockery of it to all their forum buddies, but I can take it...I'm thick skinned. It remind me of when I was 13 and I would try so hard to do something in front of my buddies to get a laugh etc.

When I read through the forums there are an excessive amount of threads where one 'highly ranked' well respected forum member will disagree and call out a poster. It's usually a sarcastic mockery of a response to what the poster has said. Then soon after, the cronies follow suit and start taking 'jabs' at this person. It seems as though every post following is trying to make the funniest, most calumniating response possible. I don't know about you guys but this sounds immature to me. I can tell there are a lot of mature people on the site, you just don't act it. Maybe internet forums are your only escape to act immature because it's looked down upon to act in this fashion anywhere else. The anonymity of the internet really turns shy introvert people into social butterflies with egos the size of china.

These are just some of my opinions and my observations of reading through this forum. Don't get me wrong, being a BB user I find the site useful, but all the other 'junk' on the site is almost disturbing. Just go through and find a post where an 'outsider' voices their opinion. You will most likely see a group of people literally teaming up and bashing one person. You'll see them each take their turn teeing off with some complex verbiage mixed with extreme sarcasm. I admit, it was funny the first couple times I saw it. But now it's like when you sit through a movie for the 18th time and you already know the ending. When I see someone post something a little off base I know without even scrolling down that comments are going to be calling out this inferior forum member rendering them stupid.

Well, after typing all that out I'm ready for the harassment. So bring it on, I know you want to impress your forum buddies. I'm glad I can provide you with three paragraphs of material to piece out and pick apart.
Closed Thread