BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: What did you do to fix the problem?
Upgraded the OS 10 5.32%
Optimized for Memory 2 1.06%
New Router / Changed Router Settings 1 0.53%
New Battery 3 1.60%
New SIM Card 0 0%
Wiped the Device 4 2.13%
Exchanged the Phone 10 5.32%
Other 6 3.19%
My Curve has never rebooted itself during a call. 135 71.81%
I have tried all or almost all of the above with no luck. 17 9.04%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:35 AM   #21
adorkable
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask.
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Well, I was able to talk on my new Curve for over an hour and a half with no reboot. I think it's safe to say the exchange solved the problem. :D
Old 02-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #22
KoJak
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile

I have not had any problems with my new curve that arrived Monday. I have had a couple long calls logged so far and no re-booting. Glad I did the exchange.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #23
GT5L
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: askme
Carrier: AT&T

I left the Palm platform for this issue. I owned several Treo dating back to the Treo300 and all the way to the 750. This problem was probably the only reason i left palm. I had a good semi-push mail solution on the palm so push mail was not the deciding factor for me.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #24
adorkable

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask.
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoJak View Post
I have not had any problems with my new curve that arrived Monday. I have had a couple long calls logged so far and no re-booting. Glad I did the exchange.
Yay! I'm glad you had luck as well.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #25
Xytek

PIN: 2454FEF2
Carrier: T-mobile

I've had a unlocked Curve 8310 for a few weeks off ebay. Within the same week i had the phone, it rebooted or hung while i was on the phone. It has sence happend a few times. Usually after a bit of time on the phone. The battery isn't low, and i have the latest OS (current as of 4/22/08). Not sure what the problem is, but it sure is happening with mine. Only way mine will come back, it to take the battery out and replace.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #26
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak618 View Post
Does anyone the shortcut for checking memory on the curve ? How do you knw how much memory is left something similar to top ?
you can do alt, caps h to see stuff, pin, imie, free space, uptime and os versions.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #27
pinhead

Model: 9700
PIN: 30EC5097
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have experienced the reboot issue in the middle of calls and apparently in the middle of the night without any known cause. I had two batteries, changed memory cards, had two replacements, then finally just gave up on the 8320. Once I got an 8310 I had no more problems. It was not limited to Wifi calls though. My 8320 rebooted even when the Wifi was off. I was so nervous about the reboot issue that I even sold off my 8310 although it never had a problem, only the 8320 did, Too bad really...it was a nice phone.

After all the negative talk about Windows Mobile I am back usingit and it is the most rock solid stable thing I have used in the past year and a half. Reboots just don't happen on either of my Tilts.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:00 AM   #28
sherbert

Model: 8310
Carrier: Vodafone

I have just swapped my 8310 due to other problems, and now it reboots after about 5 minutes during a call - a friend has told me to reload the os but not done it yet.

Tried hard reset and service book reload and still nothing.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:05 PM   #29
aleman

Carrier: T-Mobile

I had the rebooting issue with my first Curve, and I meant to exchange it for a new device, but instead managed to lose it first. So, sadly I had to buy a brand new one at a significant cost to myself... only to discover that my new one REBOOTS CONSTANTLY.

It's almost impossible to have a phone conversation now because it restarts itself so frequently when I'm on calls. I will try to exchange it for a new one, but I'm discouraged because not only do I have a new device already, I also have a new SIM card in this one since I lost the last. Never had these issues with my old 8700. It's infuriating.

FYI, I'm using the 8320 and have T-Mobile service.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #30
tekio

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT

The only problem I've had is with the radio turning off during calls. After switching from the iPhone data-plan to the proper BlackBerry data-plan the problem automagically went away. Can't say for sure if that was the cause but it now works flawlessly.

ndub33: nice to another Seatown fan in here!
Old 05-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #31
stylesx

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

Just as curiosity , out of everyone who has had this happen to them who had a micro SD card installed ? Trying to see if this could be a problem as I am having the same problem and I am running OS 4.2.2.180
Old 06-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #32
TomT

Carrier: ATT
Angry So Long Blackberry

Hi all!

So, I traded "up" my Motorola razor for a Blackberry 8300 about a year ago. I chose the Curve over the Apple I-phone, mainly because I liked the physical keyboard over the screen based keyboard that the i-phone has.

I am a freelance employee and i'm sure, like many of you, this phone is my means of getting new work, as well as staying in touch with my clients.

Well, since i've owned it, this phone will reboot (light goes red, hour glass comes on screen for about 1 1/2 minutes) and obviously drop my call. It does this about one of every 2 phone calls. I've spent untold hours on the phone (not my blackberry) with AT&T and Blackberry, and several hours in a chair at an AT&T service center on several occasions. I am on my THIRD 8300 curve, and my SECOND 3G simm card. The problem has NOT been resolved!

I am FED UP! I am a NYer, but am currently in Santa Monica on business. After I finish this posting, I am going to shower, go down the street to tha APPLE STORE on the 3rd street Promanade, buy an I-PHONE, walk to the Santa Monica Pier and PITCH THIS POS into the Pacific Ocean! Don't worry, i'll take the battery out before I throw it in.

BTW this is my first and last post on the blackberry forum, as I will NEVER buy another Blackberry product as long as I live. -Tom

Last edited by TomT; 06-06-2008 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 06-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #33
mouseberry

PIN: Ask me :)
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Mine was rebooting when I sent SMS, change of sim card sorted it.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #34
stylesx

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT View Post
Hi all!

So, I traded "up" my Motorola razor for a Blackberry 8300 about a year ago. I chose the Curve over the Apple I-phone, mainly because I liked the physical keyboard over the screen based keyboard that the i-phone has.

I am a freelance employee and i'm sure, like many of you, this phone is my means of getting new work, as well as staying in touch with my clients.

Well, since i've owned it, this phone will reboot (light goes red, hour glass comes on screen for about 1 1/2 minutes) and obviously drop my call. It does this about one of every 2 phone calls. I've spent untold hours on the phone (not my blackberry) with AT&T and Blackberry, and several hours in a chair at an AT&T service center on several occasions. I am on my THIRD 8300 curve, and my SECOND 3G simm card. The problem has NOT been resolved!

I am FED UP! I am a NYer, but am currently in Santa Monica on business. After I finish this posting, I am going to shower, go down the street to tha APPLE STORE on the 3rd street Promanade, buy an I-PHONE, walk to the Santa Monica Pier and PITCH THIS POS into the Pacific Ocean! Don't worry, i'll take the battery out before I throw it in.

BTW this is my first and last post on the blackberry forum, as I will NEVER buy another Blackberry product as long as I live. -Tom

HAHAHAHAAH Lets see how long it takes to write this same message with the IPHONE
Old 06-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #35
BlacSpawn

Model: 8330
PIN: >Options >Status any thing else
Carrier: Telus

I had my curve for about 2 months now and never had this issue.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #36
bb agent

Carrier: O2
Thumbs up SOLUTION To: BlackbBerry restarting during calls (caused by BES)

I recently installed OS 4.5.0.37. Loved the new OS and features but found my berry kept restarting during calls, usually after just a couple of minutes into each call.

I then upgraded to OS 4.5.0.44 suspecting that the older Beta might have been the cause but I had the same issues.

Having read other posts from happy 4.5 users and also reading that other users of different devices (I'm using an unlocked 8310 on UK O2 network) also suffered the same issue, I felt maybe 4.5 wasn't the issue after all. Most people were saying the only thing they could do to fix the issue is get their devices replaced. No one seemed to have an answer.

However, after literally hours and hours of trying different things the issue appears to be with BES on 4.5 (or at least, on an OS that is not supported by your carrier).

I replaced the battery, replaced the MicroSD card, swapped with SIM card, deleted languages, removed the Vendor.xml file, re-initiated the voice-dialing feature, cleared my cache, freed up memory, wiped my Berry and reinstalled the OS 4.5 from fresh, deleted service books - just about everything people offered advice on. Nothing worked

When I did re-install 4.5 I found the solution was fixed - I tested endlessly making calls and non of them dropped... and the device never restarted expectantly UNTIL... I activated my device on BES. Then the issue came back.

It seems that if you're using an operating system in Beta (which ALL 4.5 os's are at the moment, even the Vodafone release) on BES (the Enterprise version for BlackBerry), your device doesn't like it and will keep re-starting during calls.

I then tried to downgrade to my network's official latest release but found even the Wipe BlackBerry option (Options > Security > General > [OPTION: Wipe Handheld]), once re-installed and activated again on BES didn't do the job.

TO FIX THE ISSUE you need to completely remove your device using the JL_Cmder v1.9.0 application and then install your network's official OS release.

To do this, follow this useful link: How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ

I really hope this helps - my device is now working brilliantly and endless enjoyable calls without it restarting. I hope your experience is the same
Old 06-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #37
JD914
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

I never had this issue.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #38
teuf

Model: 8400
Carrier: att

i see you got it fixed this is what i had to do to fix mine.

i was having the same problem the other day, when i switched from a 8100 to a 8330 and just swaped the sd card over then i started getting random reboots, what i had to do was copy everything off my sd card to my pc, reformat the sd card and put everything back from the pc to the sc card, another thing to watch out for is if you made seaperate folders on the card with the old phone that will cause problems also when you put stuff back, put it all back in the default folder then make new ones, i spent 3 days working on this problem and finally got it beat. i hope this helps

Last edited by teuf; 06-27-2008 at 09:22 PM..
Old 01-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #39
CWE005

Carrier: at&t
Default all the problems... ugh

You know i agree with most of the people here. I got my BlackBerry 8300 from at&t about a year ago, and for the first six months it was the best investment I'd ever made. But around May it started bugging out. Im thankful im available for an upgrade in two days, because not only does my phone reboot itself during calls, it also reboots every time i attempt to put it in sleep mode, plug it in to USB, or sometimes, just whenever it feels like it. I called at&t to get another one (my 3th curve) but unfortunatly, missed my 1 year warranty by four days... downer...

I will never own another Blackberry in my entire life.

Dear Windows Mobile, im coming back!
Old 01-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #40
Anoxxia9

This happens all the time - I have 700 or so blackberry devices that I manage for my company, and I swear to you, at least once a week (for the last four months) somebody's blackberry (usually one of the 8300s I have out there - most of which are still on 4.2 OS) is rebooting during calls. At least half the time, it ends up being the battery.... which is why sometimes exchanges don't fix it - when you get a warranty replacement device, they typically only give you the device without battery or back cover.... so you have a brand new device with the same defective battery.
I usually swap batteries with my own blackberry to test when someone tells me that their device is rebooting - because I know my blackberry is good and so is the battery.... so if mine starts to reboot with their battery, then I know its the battery, and if the troubled bb still reboots with my battery, I let them do a warranty replacement on the equipment. OS upgrade, security wipe, etc, have never fixed reboots for me.
Closed Thread