Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
wilxp

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Singtel
Default WiFi to check emails

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys, i have done a search in this forum and google. But i can't seem to find a solution to check emails using WiFi only. The most that i can do is to surf webmail using default browser and login as per web access to check my email.

Anyone knows how can a wifi-only BB user check emails? One on-going BB application is Logicmail and it is still buggy. Any other BB apps or java apps that i can download to install and check my gmail, yahoomail and hotmail?
Old 08-19-2009, 02:11 AM   #2
G8TQH
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Three UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilxp View Post
Hi guys, i have done a search in this forum and google. But i can't seem to find a solution to check emails using WiFi only. The most that i can do is to surf webmail using default browser and login as per web access to check my email.

Anyone knows how can a wifi-only BB user check emails? One on-going BB application is Logicmail and it is still buggy. Any other BB apps or java apps that i can download to install and check my gmail, yahoomail and hotmail?
I use the Google Mail client for my GMail. I don't know why but you need to connect it and set it up the first time using your phone connection. However, once that's done it seems to work fine over WiFi -- until you are forced to reset your BB by removing the battery: then you've got to connect using the phone line once again to get WiFi working.

Of course, it might just be the way my phone service works so you might see a different result.

Click here, it should be a link to Gmail on your mobile phone
Old 08-19-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
cheeryfool

Carrier: AT&T

BES mail certainly works over wifi with the cell service switched off. I think BIS mail does too but can't test that due to corporate policy blocking it now.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
wilxp

Model: 8820
Carrier: Singtel

Really? Can Gmail work with Wifi only? I only manage to check email using LogicMail. Other than that, i need to use the default web browser to check emails using webmail.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:09 AM   #5
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8TQH
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilxp View Post

I use the Google Mail client for my GMail. I don't know why but you need to connect it and set it up the first time using your phone connection. However, once that's done it seems to work fine over WiFi -- until you are forced to reset your BB by removing the battery: then you've got to connect using the phone line once again to get WiFi working.

Of course, it might just be the way my phone service works so you might see a different result.

Click here, it should be a link to Gmail on your mobile phone
Good post. Since Google only has OTA downloads the issue is the initial setup. I am not sure how the user can download with a computer (via desktop)

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
cheeryfool

I was able to find the the Gmail client files once and succesfully loaded the app via desktop manager, but it wasn't easy to do.

Are you able to access your gmail account using
BIS so that it shows up in your regular Blackberry inbox? Your cell provider usually has a webpage where you can configure your email account and provide your device's PIN and IMEI#. You should be able to do this once from a desktop and then start receiving/sending from the BB mail client.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

You can install the Gmail mobile app sincve you have wifi. You should be able to go to the download site from your BB browser and download/install it that way. That's what I did and I don't have a BIS.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
Grimlin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: K1
PIN: Positive Intrinsic Negative???
Carrier: T-Mobile

logicmail: LogicMail Installation

Combine it with the Funambol syncml client (for notes, contacts, tasks and calendar) and a compatible mail server, and it works like a champ. If you trust them to be a go between for your stuff, they even have a push mail client that works over WiFi as well. I preferred going straight to my server without the middle man. I think the logicmail client is a little speedier anyway.

I have a Bold for work that has the works on it, so I couldn't see getting a data plan on my personal 8220 that I just picked up. So, I am WiFi only on it. Yes, "No Data Plan"... let the flames begin.

Last edited by Grimlin; 09-17-2009 at 09:26 PM..
Old 12-14-2009, 05:34 AM   #9
JFD

Model: 8900

I have downloaded and set up Logicmail several times. Any suggestions on how to get it to work? It fails at Authentication every time.
Closed Thread