Old 11-03-2008, 01:57 PM   #81
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (8300)

Does downloading the rogers theme or using the rogerd theme on an att branded blackberry still make bbmaps appears? Or is that no longer a viable work around?

Also, if that is a viable work around. Does anyone have a link to the rogers theme(definitely liked it better than the att default)?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #82
bimmerd00d
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaevola View Post
Wirelessly posted (8300)

Does downloading the rogers theme or using the rogerd theme on an att branded blackberry still make bbmaps appears? Or is that no longer a viable work around?

Also, if that is a viable work around. Does anyone have a link to the rogers theme(definitely liked it better than the att default)?
I tried installing BBMaps from mobile.blackberry.com and it wouldn't let it install.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #83
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

OK I am here to add to the pot of furry. I have a AT&T Bold unlocked on the Rogers Wireless network. When I go to my settings I do not have any option to select 2G, 3G, 2G &3G. The only option I really do get is to manually select my network. After it does some searching i can pick from a 2G tower by Rogers or a 3G tower by Rogers. I have selected the 2G tower and my device switches to the EDGE network. Within 10 minutes its back on the 3G network. So I believe also that it has to do with my vender ID on the SIM/device that says I'm on the Rogers service and the OS locks out the features. So if there is anything you want to test on a AT&T phone unlocked on a Rogers network let me know.

It really also pisses me of that I can't switch to 2G only. I want some more battery life as well. I only want to use 3G when doing GPS routing etc. I would really like to figure out how to turn it off myself.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #84
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Carrier: Rogers

OK actually I have narrowed it down to hardware. It seems that the hardware built for AT&T seems to be the culprit. OS version does not matter unlocked or locked does not matter and neither does SIM. So it has something to do with hardware. I have a friend at RIM that I am going to bounce this question off of and see what he says about how to correct it or if it is 100% hardware locked with no other options (kind of like your annoying carriers logo thats burned into the phone)
Old 11-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #85
jinksy86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: point accuracy
Carrier: AT&Tingular

Alright, I'm going to have to disagree with the post above and say it's specifically the SIM, and here's why...

I have an AT&T branded Bold, production model, 3 days old. I have an orange Cingular SIM card that starts with 8901. This SIM is known to work with 3G, I get 3G and EDGE service just fine in my Bold, as I did in a Moto Q9h, HTC Tilt, LG Shine, and Samsung Blackjack II.

During normal operation the only thing I see in Mobile Network Options is Data Service (on/off) and Mobile Network (AT&T).

Having a boring Friday night with too much time on my hands, I removed the SIM card, javaloader wiped the device, and reloaded the OS (.167). Without the SIM in, I could see the option to choose network speed. As soon as I put the SIM back in, with antenna OFF and nothing provisioned, the option was gone. This is a phone that had the option, and with the simple addition of my Cingular SIM the option was gone. No radio, no service books, no HRT, no nothing.

I'm going to move my account over to one of the newer style blue AT&T 3G SIM cards tomorrow and see what happens. Probably nothing, but worth a shot... the SIMs are free, might as well.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #86
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinksy86 View Post
Having a boring Friday night with too much time on my hands, I removed the SIM card, javaloader wiped the device, and reloaded the OS (.167). Without the SIM in, I could see the option to choose network speed. As soon as I put the SIM back in, with antenna OFF and nothing provisioned, the option was gone. This is a phone that had the option, and with the simple addition of my Cingular SIM the option was gone. No radio, no service books, no HRT, no nothing.
I have a Rogers Bold on AT&T's network. I wipe the device, just like you did, and I see the option for network speed, just like you did. When I put my AT&T SIM back in, the option is still there, unlike for you.

Same network, same OS, same SIM branding. Difference? Hardware/Firmware (Vendor ID). So I'm going to have to disagree with you and say that it's not specifically the AT&T SIM.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.

Last edited by ifonline; 11-07-2008 at 09:03 PM..
Old 11-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #87
jinksy86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Same network, same OS, same SIM branding. Difference? Hardware/Firmware (Vendor ID). So I'm going to have to disagree with you and say that it's not specifically the AT&T SIM.
Same SIM? So you have one of the older orange Cingular SIMs?

If this issue were caused by hardware, I shouldn't have been able to see the option at all, ever. But I did see the option up until the SIM went in. No radio, no provisioning, no other change, just SIM.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:25 PM   #88
Grimlin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: K1
PIN: Positive Intrinsic Negative???
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have no way of testing this as I do not have a non-at&t sim (read Tmo here). However, I believe it is contained within the "provisioning [PROVISIONING]" service book and is tied to the vendorID 102. Therefore, it only affects at&t branded devices running on (not roaming on) the at&t network. Unfortunately, like other service books, the provisioning service book can not be easily deleted.

To test:
Wipe at&t branded Bold
Insert Tmo SIM
Option should be there.

Comments?
Old 11-08-2008, 07:46 AM   #89
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Same SIM? So you have one of the older orange Cingular SIMs?

If this issue were caused by hardware, I shouldn't have been able to see the option at all, ever. But I did see the option up until the SIM went in. No radio, no provisioning, no other change, just SIM.
You missed the branding part, although I am sure an orange SIM versus a blue SIM isn't going to make any difference (mine is blue), considering that new Bolds on new contracts would ship with a blue SIM card. The issue here is not exclusively the SIM card, otherwise I wouldn't have the option like I do to change the network. It's that simple. It may be an issue of SIM card and hardware/firmware, but it is not the SIM card only that causes the option to disappear.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #90
fkatsumi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular

For what it's worth I have AT&T orage or blue Cingular 3G SIMs and put my users on 8707v (Vodafone or O2 branded) so they can travel to Korea/Japan. Those devices shows the network choices discussed here. So I would have to say that it is device dependent. I put the same SIM in BOLD and the "Network Selection Mode" option disappears.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #91
jinksy86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just downloaded and installed .190 OS. Before I installed I edited the Java folder like usual and JL wiped the device. This time around I deleted net_rim_captiveportalclient_att.cod, just to see what would happen. Device seems to be working fine, but the option to select network speed is still AWOL. I'm putting the file back, since I don't know what it does I might as well leave it alone.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #92
Ron L

Carrier: AT&T

Ok, where did you get .190???
Old 11-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #93
jinksy86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron L View Post
Ok, where did you get .190???
Google my friend, Google. It should take you less than 2 minutes to find it...
Old 11-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #94
Grimlin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Just downloaded and installed .190 OS. Before I installed I edited the Java folder like usual and JL wiped the device. This time around I deleted net_rim_captiveportalclient_att.cod, just to see what would happen. Device seems to be working fine, but the option to select network speed is still AWOL. I'm putting the file back, since I don't know what it does I might as well leave it alone.
I had the same thought about the "captiveportalclient" the other day. After messing with it a bit, I believe that has to do with at&t wifi hotspot access. I still believe it is within the provisioning servicebook that it gets disabled. It is specifically targeting devices with vendor id 102 only though. Until at&t decides to change their provisioning service book, we are stuck.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #95
Ron L

Quote:
Google my friend, Google. It should take you less than 2 minutes to find it...
Thanks man found it!!!

A question... when ever I do the upgrade it asked for all these different items to be installed...what are the items that need to be installed beside the basic OS and English language....

There are some other things like blackberry MDS run-time? What is it??
Blackberry S/MIME support package? What is it??

DOD root certificates?? Again is this needed and what is it???

Also what is the blackberry input selective library??
Old 11-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #96
Grimlin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Thanks man found it!!!

A question... when ever I do the upgrade it asked for all these different items to be installed...what are the items that need to be installed beside the basic OS and English language....

There are some other things like blackberry MDS run-time? What is it??
Blackberry S/MIME support package? What is it??

DOD root certificates?? Again is this needed and what is it???

Also what is the blackberry input selective library??
Uncheck all of the ones you mentioned. You don't need any of them with the possible exception of the MDS run-time if you have any MDS apps being pushed to you from a BES. However, I think that if you are asking these sorts of questions, you might want to consider sticking with a supported OS and not a beta one. Please don't take offense as it is not intended. I am trying to help.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #97
Ron L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlin View Post
Uncheck all of the ones you mentioned. You don't need any of them with the possible exception of the MDS run-time if you have any MDS apps being pushed to you from a BES. However, I think that if you are asking these sorts of questions, you might want to consider sticking with a supported OS and not a beta one. Please don't take offense as it is not intended. I am trying to help.
No offense taken at all....I am new to blackberry but not to technology....so I am asking the questions before I do the install. I know how to downgrade but don't want to...I really would like the memory drain to stop so am very interested in this new OS update! I am not in any big hurry so if you don't mind helping a "new berry user" I could use some and I really do appreciate it!!!

Thanks...
Old 11-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #98
jinksy86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
No offense taken at all....I am new to blackberry but not to technology....so I am asking the questions before I do the install. I know how to downgrade but don't want to...I really would like the memory drain to stop so am very interested in this new OS update! I am not in any big hurry so if you don't mind helping a "new berry user" I could use some and I really do appreciate it!!!

Thanks...
As was said previously, you only need the languages you use, and the features you want. A lot of the not so obvious stuff on the list is for corporate BES application and or high security arenas.

For example, I use the BB attachment service, memopad, docs to go, and thk2. Thats all from that list.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #99
jinksy86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlin View Post
I had the same thought about the "captiveportalclient" the other day. After messing with it a bit, I believe that has to do with at&t wifi hotspot access. I still believe it is within the provisioning servicebook that it gets disabled. It is specifically targeting devices with vendor id 102 only though. Until at&t decides to change their provisioning service book, we are stuck.
It is definitely not a service book issue, the option goes away before the phone provisions or even has the antenna turned on. It may very well be that an ATT / Cingular SIM card sees 102 encoded on the phone and somehow beyond my current understanding disables the feature. I'd love to get this resolved, it is one of the gripes I have about this device. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but there are definitely some things to work on.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #100
Ron L

Quote:
As was said previously, you only need the languages you use, and the features you want. A lot of the not so obvious stuff on the list is for corporate BES application and or high security arenas.

For example, I use the BB attachment service, memopad, docs to go, and thk2. Thats all from that list.
Thanks guys....I upgraded to the .185 and it is working great so far... I will venture to the .190 at a later date if it seems to be better!!! Again thanks...
Closed Thread