BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
bradman16

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: telus
Default Which Blackberry OS gives BEST 3G SIGNAL on BOLD 9700? Please help :)

Please Login to Remove!

hi I live in a rural area on the outskirts of a major city, my Bold 9700 flutters between no service and the lowest signal. I can not make a call without dropping the call. I know that this is only an issue with the 9700 as I have tried many other phones (motorola, iphone (yuk; not mine) and other cells in the house, including my old 7250 and they all have decent signal. I called my provider and they suggest getting a cell antenna like they would use in the middle of a mining camp or logging camp. I would like to avoid that for now, all I need is one bar consistently! I read somewhere that one of the 9700 OSes was best for strength of signal, can anyone please help me identify the version and perhaps even a link to the download? I would be VERY appreciative. I hate asking for help, and I have contributed on this site in the past and will continue to help when I can, but right now I am pretty stuck. I know this kind of goes without saying but I really do appreciate this site and everyone who contributes to it, keep up the good work everyone!

Last edited by bradman16; 05-10-2010 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: title wasnt clear
Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
BigDinTexas
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted

Why not change to 2G only and see if that helps the call dropping?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900

I thought I saw posted by someone here recently that the latest OS has good 3G signal. Probably would be wise to upgrade to the latest OS anyway and see if that doesn't improve your situation. You can get it here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...a-english.html. Be SURE to follow the directions exactly. Hope that works for you!
Old 05-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
bradman16

Carrier: telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard S. View Post
I thought I saw posted by someone here recently that the latest OS has good 3G signal. Probably would be wise to upgrade to the latest OS anyway and see if that doesn't improve your situation. You can get it here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...a-english.html. Be SURE to follow the directions exactly. Hope that works for you!
Thanks, I will give that a try, I have upgraded before, I think that this one person mentioned a build of 423 or 459 I just cant recall and do you think I can find the thread again? nope lol. Thanks for your reply though, I appreciate it.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
MarcoFFM

Carrier: O2 Germany
Default It was me who recommended .423

But be aware, that version has a nasty text message bug
Old 05-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
hruehl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 2191F32E
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoFFM View Post
But be aware, that version has a nasty text message bug
Yes, I have noticed the nasty txt mssge bug! I'll copy and paste something from BBM into a txt message, try go send and it says I need to remove a character or something. UGH! Its frustrating!! So I have to retype what I copied and it sends! WEIRD!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
BIOHazard87
Thumbs Must Hurt

I would just use .656. .423 is not worth losing out on the benefits of newer OS'.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
ynottonys

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Just Asking

Where do you get these new OS versions - and - how do you know if it works with your carrier, or do all OS 5 varieties work if the phone came with it (i.e. Bold 9700 T-Mobile)?
Old 05-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynottonys View Post
Where do you get these new OS versions - and - how do you know if it works with your carrier, or do all OS 5 varieties work if the phone came with it (i.e. Bold 9700 T-Mobile)?
RIM develops the OS versions... the service providers test them and when satisfied with the performance, they release them for their devices.

Yes, as long as you follow the instructions in the sticky threads, you can use any OS that that was released for your devices...
Closed Thread